SoloQ: Its Not About the Best - Its About the Worst

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Paragon Fury

11-05-2013

Even with as few games as I've personally experienced in SoloQ, those combined with watching streams makes me believe on thing about SoloQ:

In Low ELO SoloQ it doesn't matter how skilled you are. Its about how skilled the worst person on your team is compared to the other team's worst person.

Essentially, the game is a race; can you win the game before that player loses the game for you? Or in order for your personal skill to matter most you would have to win lane AND win it so hard you also make up for the worst person on your team losing theirs. Which is a lot harder than it sounds when you think about it.

I think this is especially rough on players who prefer Jungle and Support - because there is the possibility that 3 lanes could go badly, as opposed to just 2 if you went Mid, Top or ADC. You could help your ADC win lane easily as Support - but if Mid lost harder than you won it'll likely be a wash. Anyone who Jungles in low ELO can probably attest to how Jungling there is pretty much "Crisis Management Simulator 40,000" because it seems like every single lane is in constant danger of losing if you're not within 6 feet of them or literally holding their hand.

Combine this with the bad attitude, poor cooperation, bad decision making (Pop Quiz: You just full stun combo'd their Vayne as Leona leaving her at 60% health while getting her away from the enemy Singed. Guess who your team is going to attack?) and other issues at that level and it feels less like a test of skill more rolling the dice hoping for a favorable outcome.

But hey all you need to do is win lane to win at low ELO, right? /snark

Seventy Times 7

11-05-2013

I've played many solo queue games. On my way to platinum I hard carried many feeders. If you want to win in solo queue you must first get a winner's mentality.

"My team sucks so bad we can't possibly win, please ff 20" at 10 minutes in is not that mentality.

Glhf rising the ranks.

Zelketron

11-05-2013

You just have to do the best you can and hope the rest of the team does the same.

I have seen a few games now where people ask the person who rages 'not to be that guy' because it causes people to spend more time typing than playing.

RiotGradius

Associate Information Security Engineer

11-05-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy Times 7 View Post
I've played many solo queue games. On my way to platinum I hard carried many feeders. If you want to win in solo queue you must first get a winner's mentality.

"My team sucks so bad we can't possibly win, please ff 20" at 10 minutes in is not that mentality.

Glhf rising the ranks.
This is a great way of looking at it. Climbing the ladder is tough, even when you're duo queuing. The thing that I've found to help me get through the "less than easy" games is to always be thinking, "How can I improve this situation, even though X teammate is behind." When people start to complain that "the game is lost, gg" or "noob X, fed lane", I try and get my team to follow the same train of thought that I do and encourage them to help improve the situation instead of complaining.

Oh and of course this doesn't work all the time, but it definitely makes the game more enjoyable win or lose. If your team refuses to work together and keeps getting upset at one another, use this as a time to practice, don't just give up and start diving 1v5. It stinks, I know We've all been there.

TaNKeD

11-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon Fury View Post
Even with as few games as I've personally experienced in SoloQ, those combined with watching streams makes me believe on thing about SoloQ:

In Low ELO SoloQ it doesn't matter how skilled you are. Its about how skilled the worst person on your team is compared to the other team's worst person.

Essentially, the game is a race; can you win the game before that player loses the game for you? Or in order for your personal skill to matter most you would have to win lane AND win it so hard you also make up for the worst person on your team losing theirs. Which is a lot harder than it sounds when you think about it.

I think this is especially rough on players who prefer Jungle and Support - because there is the possibility that 3 lanes could go badly, as opposed to just 2 if you went Mid, Top or ADC. You could help your ADC win lane easily as Support - but if Mid lost harder than you won it'll likely be a wash. Anyone who Jungles in low ELO can probably attest to how Jungling there is pretty much "Crisis Management Simulator 40,000" because it seems like every single lane is in constant danger of losing if you're not within 6 feet of them or literally holding their hand.

Combine this with the bad attitude, poor cooperation, bad decision making (Pop Quiz: You just full stun combo'd their Vayne as Leona leaving her at 60% health while getting her away from the enemy Singed. Guess who your team is going to attack?) and other issues at that level and it feels less like a test of skill more rolling the dice hoping for a favorable outcome.

But hey all you need to do is win lane to win at low ELO, right? /snark
Don't fret too much, this is the same thing that happens at every level across the board

doomed2death

11-05-2013

I just won a game last night

Rengar was 3/1
Tristana was 1/4
Irelia was 0/5
Thresh was 0/4

I was playing mid. I didn't lose my lane but as you can tell, it wasn't pretty for my team. The game wasn't determined by the weakest link, whomever you want to decide that is. It's about picking up the slack. I felt my Thresh could have more wards. I had 3+ on the map at pretty much any moment in the game. My Trist was suiciding for turrets and failing to get the aforementioned turrets. I got my team to group mid so she could have the turret she wanted. Rengar was more focused on split pushing and suiciding for kills. So I pushed mid while Rengar pushed top/bot and made the most of it. Irelia, I just asked to focus on farming and dive their AD Carry. By sheer effort of teamwork, regardless of our individual skill and our inability to win our own lanes, we managed to win the game. There was one person flaming but I did my best to be encouraging instead and I tried to get my team to work together.

Whoever the weakest link on your team is, there is always something you can do to compensate. And even if you can't (which means you probably don't belong as high as you might think), statistically speaking, if you're consistently good, you'll still climb overall. Also, teamwork is a skill and it's won me more games than any of my other abilities. It sounds to me like you attack the "weakest link" of your team. That isn't how you win games.

MarshallBananna

11-05-2013

I play mostly support and jungler, so yeah, i feel you.

It also doesn't help that lowElo LAS players couldn't balance a team build to save their life as 99% of the games you'll have 3 people calling top AND LOCKING. Rarely does anyone call jungle and i think i saw one guy call support once. So i usually fill, because lord knows most people would rather dodge and sit in time out than play as support.

Poisonpowder

11-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
This is a great way of looking at it. Climbing the ladder is tough, even when you're duo queuing. The thing that I've found to help me get through the "less than easy" games is to always be thinking, "How can I improve this situation, even though X teammate is behind." When people start to complain that "the game is lost, gg" or "noob X, fed lane", I try and get my team to follow the same train of thought that I do and encourage them to help improve the situation instead of complaining.

Oh and of course this doesn't work all the time, but it definitely makes the game more enjoyable win or lose. If your team refuses to work together and keeps getting upset at one another, use this as a time to practice, don't just give up and start diving 1v5. It stinks, I know We've all been there.
The problem is that this mentality persists into gold. People get behind and just give up trying to normalize the team gold and instead focus on getting their personal stats back to an acceptable level. Meanwhile, you can only watch in amazement from your island of solitude top (where you are winning your lane by every metric) as your ad carry feeds a 4th kill to that Vayne (who is effectively free-farming and will be extremely difficult to outcarry).

JK6 FORCE

11-05-2013

Well, I'm in Bronze 4 and got demoted to Bronze 5 after all the bad jungling attempts I made. I can't say I'm the best at it, but I know that if I can win bot lane, I already won. Make me support, ADC, it doesn't matter. If my bot lane wins, gg.

And that's really what it's about. You gotta know your strengths and what you can do well to carry the team. Yes, you're jungler sucks, and top is feeding, but you are support and you made a damn well job of making sure the major DPS character is getting all his vitamins. You did half your job. Now the other half is to lead the team and ward your jungle. Help them turtle, ping, tell who to focus, tell someone to splitpush. Eventually, people shut up and listen to the person making them win.

It can be Bronze, Silver, Gold. All that matters is what YOUcan do for the team. So I personally go bot all the time, because I know I'm bad at making a presence. I know I can dominate bot, and let my partner have full confidence that we will win this. Now junglers that are actually good can carry the game with my other lanes. And if you're a good jungler, then you're a great player already, becuase now, you know when to go for objectives and when to go in or back out. Don't care what people say about the role; nothing is better than a support (or any role for that matter) that actually knows what's happening on the map. All you have to do is say one good call, and the team falls in line. Once that happens, its all about make the right moves and splitpushing them back into their personal "elo hell". Eventually, you make it out. Which is why I hope I can do better next season and be a boss ADC and support

Paragon Fury

11-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomed2death View Post
statistically speaking, if you're consistently good, you'll still climb overall. Also, teamwork is a skill and it's won me more games than any of my other abilities. It sounds to me like you attack the "weakest link" of your team. That isn't how you win games.
I break statistics - I do the statistically (and physically) impossible; like rolling a 0 on a dice with only the numbers 1-20 on it.

And I don't talk in game except through pings or unless someone leaves an opportunity for a good joke open. I don't have the time played or the charisma to tell people what to do and have them listen so I keep my mouth (keyboard) shut so I don't get reported for Negative Attitude, Harassment or whatever else people could come up with.

12345 ... 6