@IronStylus: Cait VU thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Heek

11-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
How about transitioning it into sort of a half-coat type thing? I like to think Piltover is more clever than just a miniskirt. Hence me curious about how to fashion her up in potentially unconventional ways.
Bird, I love you.... but you seem to really want to "CLOTHE ALL TEH CHAMPS" and I feel like some skin could go a long way.

Cinchspark

11-04-2013

For character design, don't you want to have their personality reflect who they are? Isn't that the entire point of unifying the Design, Gameplay, and Art departments in development?

For Caitlyn, her voice actor has this very high-nosed, British feel that the Chinese art doesn't reflect. The Chinese art shows her as this smiling, bursting person, with that "I'm gonna getcha, you bastard" fun feel. What kind of niche should Caitlyn fill? Personally, I like the Chinese art direction and personality, so I'd suggest you build her new visuals around that.

For her color scheme, I suggest you keep the purple and yellow, but choose specific colors. Choose something like royal purple and gold in order to show that she has class. Make her have a sort of half-coat wrap and maybe a sort of designer cargo pants/skirt or something (Yuna from FF X-2 but not as revealing). Her gun should have some sort of hextech augmentation--perhaps on the sights? But her gun should remain wood.

Caitlyn, right now, fulfills the true "marksman" stereotype. How would Caitlyn look if she were the leader of the "Council of Marksman," and that's my vision for Caitlyn. Imagine Caitlyn fighting with Vayne and then having to endure Draven, and get a feel for her personality. In my opinion, design starts from the "who" and the "why" for the character.

simplyskyler

11-04-2013

Quote:
Yep, good ideas. One big problem however is how to logistically get this rolled out in all territories. We're talking about forums from NA, to EU to Brazil.. Garena, Korea and Australia.. that's not even counting China. That's a lot of infrastructure, monitoring and localization to get rolling. I'm not sure how feasible it'd be. I feel it'd be a mistake to just create a simple poll on NA GD and call that it. That's ignoring a huge pile of players from other territories.
The poll should be on the forums, but there's really no need to box it up as it being ONLY on the forums. I mean, wouldn't an easy workaround be a link in the newsfeed of the launcher that would take you to a universal poll? I don't know how feasible such a thing is, but I'd say a month long voting period with that in the newsfeed would be long enough to catch the majority of players.

AntiSkillshot

11-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanovah View Post
What? Ironstyulus has been referencing it this entire thread since he saw it, i just posted it again because i was referencing it in my answer to a question he posed
Is that so? Well, give me then.

[RIGHT]Tonight we're coming alive.[/RIGHT]

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-04-2013
9 of 28 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehemothHeek View Post
Bird, I love you.... but you seem to really want to "CLOTHE ALL TEH CHAMPS" and I feel like some skin could go a long way.
I'm fine with skin showing. I like that piece of fan art with the reverse open V at the bust line. I think that's very high fashion and something that Caitlyn would choose to wear. Sort of like how Motoko from Ghost in the Shell has weird outfit combinations but.. ya know.. reasons..

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-04-2013
10 of 28 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyskyler View Post
The poll should be on the forums, but there's really no need to box it up as it being ONLY on the forums. I mean, wouldn't an easy workaround be a link in the newsfeed of the launcher that would take you to a universal poll? I don't know how feasible such a thing is, but I'd say a month long voting period with that in the newsfeed would be long enough to catch the majority of players.
No idea. Way beyond my scope and job. It'd be great to gather feedback in such a way, I just have no idea how that would be set up as to be equitable across multiple territories.

Izzabelle

11-04-2013

Quote:
Yep, good ideas. One big problem however is how to logistically get this rolled out in all territories. We're talking about forums from NA, to EU to Brazil.. Garena, Korea and Australia.. that's not even counting China. That's a lot of infrastructure, monitoring and localization to get rolling. I'm not sure how feasible it'd be. I feel it'd be a mistake to just create a simple poll on NA GD and call that it. That's ignoring a huge pile of players from other territories.
Big work to be sure -- I only make the suggestion because the last 4 or 5 VU's have consistently had that backlash over 1 major aspect that seems like it could have been avoided.

But these VU's are great, and I'm really eager to see what you guys have cooking for Morgana, Cait, and Evelynn

danksz

11-04-2013

Quote:
but I'd like to see a bit of this injected into her
hehe you said but

leux1

11-04-2013

what about mf vu :c

Gentleman Thief

11-04-2013

Quote:
Legit question.. keep miniskirt or change into possibly sexy pants? Maybe some of both..
Sexy pants, definitely. Her current outfit simply does not match her character at all. Her VO lines suggest a straight-laced, by-the-books professional, but her outfit just... just why? It makes about as much sense as Sejuani's old metal bikini, and looks ridiculous to boot. That fan redesign you linked to in your first post is a much better look for her. Less silly, more practical, and it even manages to be sexier despite covering far more skin.