@SmashGizmo, Morello, and/or Phreak

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Affinity2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashGizmo View Post
It seems he's seeing some picks and bans in the NACL and ALCS, mostly centered around using him as a counter to Jax, and his pick rate and win rate in all queues both seem to have gotten markedly better with this last patch. It's early to say anything definitive about his current balance state, but all the early data from this patch is leaving me optimistic that he's somewhat close to a good spot.

From my personal experiences in solo queue, I'm finding that I have trouble being effective vs. Jarvan, Nidalee and Vayne and that's frustrating me due to their popularity in my games, but I feel very powerful when those characters aren't present.

I think his jungle is hurting a little bit right now, but I do think it's playable and I think the upcoming pre-season changes will help him out in the jungle considerably. Right now he's just having trouble hitting the level of farm he needs out of the jungle.
But he still feels terrible to play and completely unpowereful when comparing it to his old kit and i think there is alot of cleaning up that you can do to make his kit feel powerful without taking away from his counter play. One such example that i think he would benifet from greatly is reducing his base attack time/ attack recovery time so he can aa move alot more effectively and add some much needed depth (cause he has absolutely 0 depth at the moment outside of his q(in which some was removed) and maybe the timing of his r(which has about the same depth as before))

Xanthalis

11-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestVayneMars View Post
What about lane Olaf?

In lane he doesn't so much feel weak but not so powerful since the minimum distance on Q seems too long to really chase your opponent with. Out of lane it seems harder to stick on to targets because of the duration put on Q. Also what about laning Bruiser itemization. Are we going to see some positive changes to those?
I'm a bit confused by this. They increased the duration on Q. If you're chasing an opponent the minimum range shouldn't be a factor since you're heading in that direction anyway.

Xanthalis

11-04-2013

Smash (and fellow Olaf players), I was wondering if you think his power feels worth it once he catches an opponent.

Considering he has to rely on the chase going in a straight line (as in not taking a turn into or through the jungle), so he can pick up axes, and has to hit multiple skill shots, if he does catch up, do you feel that the reward justifies it?

It just seems like many other champs have an easier time either getting to a target and/or staying there and/or keeping the enemy in range.

Not only that, when I've played him or seen him played, it seems like Olaf spends his time not in melee combat (making use of his free attack speed), but chasing, hitting an axe, getting an attack, maybe two and an E before picking up the axe and trying to do it again. Given that, does he need so much attack speed? I've seen in games where one missed axe let the opponent get away.

I only ask based on what I've seen. I haven't gotten to play much since the patch, and only a time or two with Olaf, so this is based largely on observation.

SmashGizmo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

QA Analyst

11-04-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearball View Post
Really? I believe you, but if you don't mind me asking, can someone link me to the games in question?
NACL Curse vs. GGLa (1:27:00ish): http://www.twitch.tv/naclesports/b/475371990
ALCS (picked in first 2 games, start around 15:00): http://www.twitch.tv/10ktournaments/b/475682158

Vroggoth

11-04-2013

I just want to know why so much attack speed? Why not put something else on his w like the health to ad ratio it used to have? He already gets a ton of attack speed from his passive and nobody is going to sit there and let him aa with 80% attack speed on top of his passive for it to be used efficiently. It just feels like a huge wasted stat.

KevinDelMarr

11-04-2013

Smash, I have two buffs/changes I'd like you to consider for Olaf

One is having Olaf ignore Unit Collision from enemies hit by undertow. Nocturne has a similar utility on Duskbringer, it would allow Olaf to chase targets more effectively, give him more of an assassin feel. He has this effect in the jungle, I think it would transition well into lane (the unit collision could last as long as the slow)

The second change would be to increase the on-hit CDR of Reckless Swing. I feel like the ability is too CDR gated and the on-hit CDR isn't enough to counter it. The decision to increase the CD, lower the base damage, and to add on-hit CDR was to make it less of a devastating trade spell (more for over time damage). However, to me it's lackluster because it requires too much CDR, Points, AS, and AD to be effective as the game goes on. Since it only brings single target damage with no utility the high CD, low base damage, and minor on-hit CDR it isn't enough. It's kind of just there from some extra damage, doesn't feel very impactful until you hit the sweet spot. It would feel awesome as Olaf to get in a fight and unleash True damage nukes frequently. I know True Damage has some counter problems, but if the counterplay to reckless swings was "don't let him auto attack" then AS slows could be an effective choice. Bonus on-hit CDR to Champions seems best

Spearball

11-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashGizmo View Post
NACL Curse vs. GGLa (1:27:00ish): http://www.twitch.tv/naclesports/b/475371990
ALCS (picked in first 2 games, start around 15:00): http://www.twitch.tv/10ktournaments/b/475682158
Holy ****, dat Olaf literally took a dump on dat Jax.

Perhaps he's become a legit counterpick to dive-oriented teams, kinda like Udyr!

Vsin

11-04-2013

I'd refute the Quas vs. Yuzuki matchup though. Jax spent a lot of time pressing E, taking one Reckless Swing and then immediately backing off. If he had just walked up to Olaf and hit him a few times with Counterstrike up, the Reckless Swing trades woulda gone heavily in Jax's favour. You can argue Undertow + Vicious Strikes, but I'd argue that you can trade with Counterstrike until it procs (pre-6) and then just Leapstrike out of range, then rinse lather repeat. Of course, his lane was also getting camped, but it seems as though Jax just outplayed himself really hard.

By the end of it, despite all that hardcore diving by Quas it just felt as though Olaf had such a massive lead due to Jax's fails and Quas' Quasness that the only part of Olaf's kit that even mattered was the CC immunity, with his item lead completely overriding any possible mechanical issues.

Asatorrr

11-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthalis View Post
Smash (and fellow Olaf players), I was wondering if you think his power feels worth it once he catches an opponent.

Considering he has to rely on the chase going in a straight line (as in not taking a turn into or through the jungle), so he can pick up axes, and has to hit multiple skill shots, if he does catch up, do you feel that the reward justifies it?

It just seems like many other champs have an easier time either getting to a target and/or staying there and/or keeping the enemy in range.

Not only that, when I've played him or seen him played, it seems like Olaf spends his time not in melee combat (making use of his free attack speed), but chasing, hitting an axe, getting an attack, maybe two and an E before picking up the axe and trying to do it again. Given that, does he need so much attack speed? I've seen in games where one missed axe let the opponent get away.

I only ask based on what I've seen. I haven't gotten to play much since the patch, and only a time or two with Olaf, so this is based largely on observation.
This is one of the issues I had jungling him at first. I felt like my Q wasn't doing enough damage and even when I managed to catch up E wasn't doing enough either. That's why I started building SotEL for his jungling item and rushing a Frozen Mallet, that way he has better sticking power, the health he needs, and enough damage to make his Qs and Es hurt and kill.

Olaf doesn't have the same old damage output when building straight health, he needs damage items and those two are very good from my experience.

OctaSteve

11-04-2013

Olaf's strong in Dominion right now, so long as he enters face-punching range.