Nasus VU dance question, asked for parrots as the moon also rises

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-03-2013
1 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYFv7M4pGpw
His current /d is just such a fun, appropriate little quirk that it feels a little sad to see it leave.

I understand that the dances need to be simple, but it seems to someone without actual 3D animation experience that Nasus's "walk like an Egyptian" dance would be deceptively simple to handle.

Could you simply repeat Nasus doing steps (one short animation repeated), turning around (one different, slightly longer animation), and doing the same thing backwards (same 2 animations)? To a layman it sounds like the only potential difficulty would be making the animations "time-tesselate" properly, and even that sounds like it could be solved with a little math work beforehand.

I am interested in learning why I'm probably wrong.
I don't think you're wrong at all in terms of judging the simplicity or understanding the process. If I remember correctly, this might simply have been an artistic licence choice. I don't track animation, and often the teams themselves sort of decide what dance they want to go with, but I think they just ran with the idea of the silly Vaudeville dance. I don't know if there was any particular reason aside from it being hilarious when we saw it blocked out. Some champions have a lot of thought put into emotes and dances, others sort of just.. happen. Usually it's up to the individual animator and their surrounding discipline unless there's some amazing idea floated by someone else. I guess it depends. This isn't really a case of resource allocation, I think it was more like.. "Hey, this is hilarious."

Level 9 Zubat

11-03-2013

Dear Parrot: Do you happen to know if there's any chance we might get a "Traditional Nasus" that lets us keep the old VO?

Spitsonkittens

11-03-2013

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but will there be a version of Nasus with his original voice intact? I think it would be well received.

shend

OneDragonArmy

11-03-2013

While I do find his new dance hilarious, I think it's also kind of feeding the flames over the loss of the old VO. I myself am kind of divided over the issue.

Elewd

11-03-2013

I hate his new dance. i loved his walk like an egyptian dance, it was simple, but was enjoyable. this new one is just lolflailingmyarmsaround.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-03-2013
2 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level 9 Zubat View Post
Dear Parrot: Do you happen to know if there's any chance we might get a "Traditional Nasus" that lets us keep the old VO?
Nasus is essentially feature complete at this point. I'm sorry, but I don't see any real chance of a traditional skin. We've had generally very positive feedback about the VO. Again, it's sad that his original VA passed away, but we felt this was a quality VO replacement.

CataclysmCrash

11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I don't think you're wrong at all in terms of judging the simplicity or understanding the process. If I remember correctly, this might simply have been an artistic licence choice. I don't track animation, and often the teams themselves sort of decide what dance they want to go with, but I think they just ran with the idea of the silly Vaudeville dance. I don't know if there was any particular reason aside from it being hilarious when we saw it blocked out. Some champions have a lot of thought put into emotes and dances, others sort of just.. happen. Usually it's up to the individual animator and their surrounding discipline unless there's some amazing idea floated by someone else. I guess it depends. This isn't really a case of resource allocation, I think it was more like.. "Hey, this is hilarious."
Have an option for a traditional Nasus skin that is simply the updated skin with the old voice audio and the old dance animation.

I prefer my Nasus to have an epic voice in memorium of his passed away voice actor, and I prefer my Nasus to do the Egyptian instead of that goofy ****.

xProR2D2x

11-03-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w5kMoYcTSs
Parrot, pls

Level 9 Zubat

11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Nasus is essentially feature complete at this point. I'm sorry, but I don't see any real chance of a traditional skin. We've had generally very positive feedback about the VO. Again, it's sad that his original VA passed away, but we felt this was a quality VO replacement.
Generally very positive feedback? What about all the threads talking about not liking it?

The ones dripping with upvotes?

Does all the positive feedback really so greatly outweigh the negative? That's pretty surprising.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-03-2013
3 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level 9 Zubat View Post
Generally very positive feedback? What about all the threads talking about not liking it?

The ones dripping with upvotes?

Does all the positive feedback really so greatly outweigh the negative? That's pretty surprising.
The forums are a component of a wide scope of feedback gathering.

12345612 ... 14