Nasus VU dance question, asked for parrots as the moon also rises

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tortferngatr

11-03-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYFv7M4pGpw
His current /d is just such a fun, appropriate little quirk that it feels a little sad to see it leave.

I understand that the dances need to be simple, but it seems to someone without actual 3D animation experience that Nasus's "walk like an Egyptian" dance would be deceptively simple to handle.

Could you simply repeat Nasus doing steps (one short animation repeated), turning around (one different, slightly longer animation), and doing the same thing backwards (same 2 animations)? To a layman it sounds like the only potential difficulty would be making the animations "time-tesselate" properly, and even that sounds like it could be solved with a little math work beforehand.

I am interested in learning why I'm probably wrong.

Tortferngatr

11-03-2013

Bump?

0 0

11-03-2013

I agree. His new dance looks similar to Yi's dance :/ The VU dances are so boring

FilthySaint

11-03-2013

It's painfully obvious that dances seem to getting simpler with each rework.

Why though, is anyone's guess.

- no one wants to commit to the work anymore?
- reworks are being rushed out too quickly, with no time left?
- or just no one on the rework team cares?

Tortferngatr

11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthySaint View Post
It's painfully obvious that dances seem to getting simpler with each rework.

Why though, is anyone's guess.

- no one wants to commit to the work anymore?
- reworks are being rushed out too quickly, with no time left?
- or just no one on the rework team cares?
It's more "spending less time on the typically dev-time-hogging dance, which you aren't going to see that frequently, is going to be less effective than spending time on the walk, run, attack, etc. animations when we aren't going all out for skins."

While in some cases I'd prefer a dance stay complex (even if "modular" like what I'm hypothesizing a remake of Nasus's current dance to be), I do understand this logic--Lucian, Jinx, and Sivir all look astounding, even if Sivir's dance isn't that good. Garen's new dance fits him.

That being said, please keep Urgot's Kirby victory dance for his inexorable VU. ;_;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOWpyUGKw4k

The irony is too hilarious to not keep.

Farranor

11-03-2013

If the dev team doesn't have a big enough talent pool to do entertaining dance animations in a timely fashion, there's a problem. I don't know if it's their processes, their priorities, their patience, or their perfectionism, but they're removing fun/flavor stuff from the game because updating fun stuff is just too damn high, and that rings some alarm bells.

If Mario had been a rectangle, and Donkey Kong had been a larger rectangle, and the barrels had been medium-sized rectangles, how well would Nintendo have done?

The silly things matter. It's a game.

0 0

11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by farranor View Post
if the dev team doesn't have a big enough talent pool to do entertaining dance animations in a timely fashion, there's a problem. I don't know if it's their processes, their priorities, their patience, or their perfectionism, but they're removing fun/flavor stuff from the game because updating fun stuff is just too damn high, and that rings some alarm bells.

If mario had been a rectangle, and donkey kong had been a larger rectangle, and the barrels had been medium-sized rectangles, how well would nintendo have done?

@ironstylus

ViashinoWizard

11-03-2013

I kind of like the new dance, honestly. I think the juxtaposition of Nasus's very serious personality with the goofy flailing is pretty funny. But I like his old dance too =(

Tortferngatr

11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farranor View Post
If the dev team doesn't have a big enough talent pool to do entertaining dance animations in a timely fashion, there's a problem. I don't know if it's their processes, their priorities, their patience, or their perfectionism, but they're removing fun/flavor stuff from the game because updating fun stuff is just too damn high, and that rings some alarm bells.

If Mario had been a rectangle, and Donkey Kong had been a larger rectangle, and the barrels had been medium-sized rectangles, how well would Nintendo have done?

Keep in mind that some of that fun stuff is moving into other stuff.

Jinx's /l and recall are the best examples.

Farranor

11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
Keep in mind that some of that fun stuff is moving into other stuff.

Jinx's /l and recall are the best examples.
I don't think it's okay for any champ to have "fun" budget heavy-handedly taken away and redistributed to more profitable, newer champs. People should be able to pick Nasus, /dance, and laugh at his silly, tongue-in-cheek dance.

Why and how the hell is it somehow more important for Jinx to get more fun/silly effort and resources than Nasus? Olaf may be Olaf-tier, but at least I can chortle when he talks about his length (of his beard) and his girth (of his belt buckle). If he were up for a VU, should he just say "i am viking ok" because champ 117 is getting priority on voice acting resources? Why even do VUs in the first place if you're going to strip the fun out?

Would you still be defending this strategy if Nasus' dance were even more simplistic and boring? How about if they removed it entirely? Remove his taunt and joke? Take out his voice acting; his VO is a waste of valuable bandwidth when new players download the game.

By now you're probably saying (I hope), "no, of course that wouldn't be okay! he has to have at least a minimum amount of fun/flavor!" Well, that's what we're saying, too. Your personal threshold for a minimum fun/silly level is lower than that of other players.

1234511 ... 14