Hey Phreak can you teach me how to pronounce Nee-Duh-Lee

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phreak

Shoutcaster

11-01-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconPawwwwnch View Post
But why choose "Nidalee" for pronouncing "Nee-Duh-Lee"?
Hey, you guys voted for it.

Gløry

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrglsplat View Post
Moving goalposts is fun. I provided what was asked for.

Whatever. It's very common in other languages for i to be pronounced ee. Spanish, for example. Italian, Latin, I think? What makes you think Nidalee should be pronounced based on your English, rather than those languages? Is she from England/America?

How about primo? That's a perfect example of how the English language incorporates other languages, and a good reason you can't just take your gut phonics reaction for every word out there. I'm sure there are other examples.

How do you pronounce Pino Palladino? "Pee-no palla-dee-no". Pia colada?
I'm not moving goalposts, I'm explaining why "Skis" doesn't count. The "s" isn't really part of the word, no more than saying, "branding" is an example.

As for other languages: Is nidalee noticeably from any of those places, either? We can infer how to pronounce Xin Zhao because he's clearly based on an ancient Chinese warrior. Nidalee doesn't fit into any earthly culture, really, and her name is clearly made-up. Thus, imo, we must fall back on the base language of the game, English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
I didn't vote for it. Only like 100 people voted. I wouldn't have called her "Needalee" to begin with, though...

"Nid" is my go-to shorthand for her, and that just works a lot better than "need." So even though these discussions are interesting, I really see no reason not to pronounce it Nidalee.

Zerglinator

11-01-2013

Quote:
Yes, but Limited Edition skins are available for repurchasing, so CLEARLY the community deserves a recount on this poll.

If the community demand for Limited Edition skins being rereleased can be satisfied, we deserve to also be allowed to redo the voting on the correct pronounciation of Nidalee!

Gløry

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
Yes, but Limited Edition skins are available for repurchasing, so CLEARLY the community deserves a recount on this poll.
http://i.imgur.com/U1UOh.gif

Grrglsplat

11-01-2013

Quote:
Nidalee doesn't fit into any earthly culture, really, and her name is clearly made-up. Thus, imo, we must fall back on the base language of the game, English.
If you have no other information to go on, sure. I never said it was wrong to assume that was how to pronounce it. If I were reading it in a vacuum, I would read it the same way.

If, however, they've told you how to pronounce it...well, then there are plenty of examples of words, languages, and names that use the same pronunciation style for similar letter combinations.

Names often break away from expected pronunciations.

Wyl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2013

need-a-lee

Ignus Panthera

11-02-2013

Quote:
....there was a vote?