Old Olaf, slightly OP at the highest levels of play

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Annie C Hastur

11-01-2013

Except for the fact that the ADC class as a whole is extremely weak right now.

Future Diary

11-01-2013

Phreak thank you for defending vayne

Ily even more now

Tails66

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
I'm sorry but you're just flatly incorrect on this front.

Olaf was basically first pick or banned in every competitive scene up until the huge round of nerfs to kick him out.

Vayne is an occasionally played competitive pick.

If you're referring to the "highest levels of play" you should look at top-tier tournament games. In fact, in the Season Three World Championship, she was a respectable #18 most picked/banned champion, going 8 wins, and 8 losses, appearing in champion select less than 35% of the time.

So you know, horrendously overpowered and gets picked every game.
I really still don't remember Olaf being pick/banned that much but maybe thats me.

Only one person I can even think of that played Olaf really well was Voyboy.

TastyPotatoX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2013

Vayne has quite a bit of counterplay. Vayne is fine.

Phreak

Shoutcaster

11-01-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails66 View Post
I really still don't remember Olaf being pick/banned that much but maybe thats me.

Only one person I can even think of that played Olaf really well was Voyboy.
The best thing I could find on really quick research was the NA LCS qualifiers (not the same skill tier as Season 3 World Championships, but still a rather important official event), which had Olaf as the #8 most contested pick, the #2 top laner behind Shen, and a 72% win rate across 18 games.

Edit: And I just want to say again, that I'm not saying "NO GUYS VAYNE IS PERFECTLY FINE STOP IT." I'm simply trying to make claims have accuracy. If she actually becomes the most dominant ADC and everyone's playing her and dominating with her in real life, then so be it. I'm only speaking to evidence.

TerminatusOmega

11-01-2013

Quote:
The best thing I could find on really quick research was the NA LCS qualifiers (not the same skill tier as Season 3 World Championships, but still a rather important official event), which had Olaf as the #8 most contested pick, the #2 top laner behind Shen, and a 72% win rate across 18 games.

Edit: And I just want to say again, that I'm not saying "NO GUYS VAYNE IS PERFECTLY FINE STOP IT." I'm simply trying to make claims have accuracy. If she actually becomes the most dominant ADC and everyone's playing her and dominating with her in real life, then so be it. I'm only speaking to evidence.
so what you think of olaf now?
reason why he was so strong was league of mogs and the brutalizer worked with his kit so well(also a few other items like atmas) they all go nerfed or removed (force of nature?).
before all of that he was pretty balanced, was still very dangerous but not as big of a threat as some of the other champs.

if olaf had his old kit back, yes he would be very strong but their are other alternatives in the champ pool that can easily fill his slot.

the mobility creep and burst damage of current meta would kinda work in counteracting his strength.

just my tidbits.

EvilTreeSpock

11-01-2013

Quote:

I remember watching a lot of those early LCS games even in Europe, and Olag was a beast. It was also when Warmogs was on everyone and it was League of Health. I bought Olag to jungle him because he was ridiculously OP.

thumbnail9

11-01-2013

Quote:

Holy christ you do get baited into vayne threads....

You definitely love her.

Lykanthar

11-01-2013

I don't think Vayne has ever dominated at any level whether its bronze, diamond, or competitive play... and I don't think theres any evidence to support that claim. As I see it, Vayne isn't actually overpowered from an 'entire game'
perspective. However, she is problematic because she hard counters too many champions at a kit level. This means that her balance is based on either being counterpicked (either in lane or team comp), and/or abused early, rather then the more healthy option of counter itemization and counterplay in game.

Death by Dunk

11-01-2013

Well to me it's just extremely frustrating to see Vayne picked in literally EVERY soloqueue game and to also see her get fed in EVERY soloqueue game.