Preseason Community Q&A Roundup - Vision and Supports!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PriorityOne

10-30-2013

1) Currently, a lot of items are balanced with the intent that the champions buying them are the current roster of gold-starved supports.

If Support champions begin receiving a steady stream of gold, are there already plans in the pipeline to bring these items either up or down powerwise to account for the new wealth of their intended recipients?

When you're poor, you don't have to concern yourself about slot efficiency of items. You buy what you can buy. When you have gold to spend, suddenly you have to start thinking about what items you want to have down the road. If some of the current support items aren't slot efficient compared to a Deathcap or something, it'd be nice to see them retooled as necessary.

JustUnlucky

10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam4Kees View Post
When does preseason start?
After season 3 ends (November 11th)

I only fear the nidalee "supports" for season 4. On the plus side, they won't need to ks to start smashing people with spears.

SirtyStan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Pwyff View Post
Q: Can you explain how many trinkets we can have at the same time, and how do they recharge? (HecasTrinityForce / sdgaysian)
A:
You can only have one trinket in your inventory and they recharge naturally over time like other on-use items. We are currently experimenting with swapping trinkets, where trading out your trinket will put your new trinket on a significant cooldown, like two or three minutes.
With swapping Trinkets, instead of putting it on a significant cooldown, just carry over the percentage of cooldown left to the new Trinket?

Ex. If your Trinket is on cooldown with 10 seconds left (out of say 30), and your new Trinket you're swapping for has a cooldown of 60 seconds, then it will go on cooldown for 20 seconds when you swap?

Partholonian

10-30-2013

Quote:
If we're off-the-mark in our testing and find that traditional supports are falling behind, we'll step in and make modifications.
At the risk of being a bit brutal, most traditional supports are starting out behind. Soraka, Taric and Alistar for example are already so far from competitiveness that if a pro hovered over them in champ select, the commentators would assume it was just as much of a joke as old Heimer. Anyone without instant mass CC is at a big disadvantage right now. Melees even more so, except CC-heavy Leona -- and she's very high risk.

At least Lulu, Nami and Janna are good enough that I don't feel like I'm letting down my own side by picking them even in unranked. But they certainly don't have much, if any, room to lose ground compared to Sona, Thresh and Zyra.

OMG halp meh plz

10-30-2013

Quote:
Q: Will this affect some supports that like to be played in the mid lane? Some examples are Janna or Lulu that are played as mages in the mid lane, in addition to supporting in bot lane. (SoraNoChinchira)

A: Yes, but you're going to be out-supporting your opponent's mid laner with your new AP gains - not just bursting people down with more damage. This is a careful tuning point that we're keeping a close eye on - these champions are protectors, not just bursty mages with heals and shields!
This worries me. I absolutely love playing Soraka top/mid and Janna mid. People have successfully jungled Leona. Will these changes confine them to bot lane support, AKA ADC's slave?

Better Ban Sona

10-30-2013

As for supports who currently rely off their base numbers to do damage, should I expect to see heavy nerfs to their base damage numbers? For example, are we going to have yet another nerf to Sona's powerchord?

TaNKeD

10-30-2013

Damn you Madlife!!

Arechon Gend

10-30-2013

Answer this question: When will IP rewards be returned to custom games? Been missing them since patch 3.11, and it is hurting a lot of players, many are now leaving the game because of this.

Or this one: Why is Riot continuing to ignore the more casual portion of it's audience?

Squippit

10-30-2013

Does CC scale with AP on supports? As in, longer (or harsher) slows (or CC in general)? Longer pulls? Shorter CDs? Or just better heals and stronger shields? :/

Taint Misbehavin

10-30-2013

Quote:
Then Madlife and H4ckerv2 came to the office and broke the game by having more gold than any other champion in the game when they min-maxed the the support items. So you can blame them.
no, we can blame you for acting like supports having lots of gold is a big deal. who cares if they had the most gold? so they get to buy a bunch of aura/utility items to help the team. it's not like you can even turn all that extra gold into a huge vision advantage anymore because of the ward limits.

how often do you ever see a 6-item support? would starting to see them every now and then really be that big of a problem? more people might actually decide they enjoy playing the support role if they were allowed to have gold and finish a build occasionally.

you're also talking about 2 of the best support players in the world "min-maxing" these items, i.e. trying to abuse the system. does that necessarily mean that the average player would have been able to do that every game? that seems like nerfing a champion because one pro thinks outside the box and does amazing with it.

oh, wait....

granted, i realize that you are just being cautious and trying to avoid abuse before it pops up; but it feels a little insulting to support players to see the viewpoint that if they ever have the most gold in a game then something is fundamentally broken and that can't be allowed to happen. always the bridesmaid, never the bride.