Season One Circuit Rankings (5v5)

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

Follow RiotMarcou on Twitter

11-22-2010
3 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethiusf3ar View Post
Where can we find these tournaments? i'm constantly searching for info on them
Circuit events are posted in this forum. Unsanctioned tournaments are posted in the competitive events forum.

Keep in mind that unsanctioned tournament may still be supported with Riot points and are a great way to get into the competitive scene, but they don't meet our requirements to qualify for the Season One Circuit.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

11-22-2010
4 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidenx8 View Post
Why are the WCG qualifiers a higher rating than the Grand Finals, which was a WORLD WIDE tourny?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Bar Clutch View Post
Why is WCG D tier.... Grand Finals would be under:
Online Event Tiers
A Tier: World Tournament 1000 available points

Right? It was a world tournament..... NA is higher tier when that isn't a world tourny lol.

confusing stuff is confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squee311 View Post
Completed Circuit Tournaments:
B Tier - WCG NA Qualifier
D Tier - WCG Grand Finals
B Tier - Alienware Arena Extreme PvP

so the WCG finals is a lower tier then the WCG NA qualifier?
The WCG GF was purposely assigned a D tier rating because there were only 4 teams participating and 2 of the teams were from regions that are currently not supported by the circuit (but they will be before the end of season one).

I didn't feel that it was fair to give CLG and SK Gaming a huge point boost that would essentially guarantee them a space in the end of season one tournament.

Future WCG GF events would likely be given an A tier rating.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

11-22-2010
5 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredDaemon View Post
WCG qualifier requires you beat dozens of teams. WCG finals required you to beat 3 teams. Just because WCG finals is more exclusive doesn't mean it would be worth more points, as the US champs (CLG) already got all the points for winning WCG NA.
Yes, that was also part of my thought process.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

11-22-2010
6 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteR of LoL View Post
Epik gaming (the one that competed in wcg) is no longer together... so how does that work? It doesn't count at all, it partially counts, or what?
I'll be contacting members of that team and deciding what to do with those circuit points.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

11-22-2010
7 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red8D View Post
I had no idea CEVO was running anything for LoL...

Oh and it seems like a pretty terrible idea to sort it this way when the brackets for said events seem totally random(I guess WCG was at least double elim, and had a sort of prelim round being that you had to be 1500+ to register); there are going to be some quality teams that finish outside of the top64(let alone top 8) in Newegg because they face top tier competition early in the bracket. Likewise there will be some relatively meh teams that actually make it top 8 because entire halves of a few of the brackets are jokes.
I agree that it's not the most impressive format or seeding, but I feel that it's fair.

Tournaments brackets for games with new competitive scenes are always "random." You can't seed an event until you have sufficient data. Additionally, not every organizer is ready to support a double elimination tournament or elo registration requirements.

A small number of teams were seeded in the Newegg tournament based on their performances in the WCG and Alienware tournaments, which I felt was a fair counter balance to this format.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

11-22-2010
8 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koulDream View Post
Hey, Marcou....

I am the team captain for PcP, we are in the wanfest tournament and have changed the team name.

we're now: Delta Triad

was hoping you could adjust it, not sure where i should be posting this but i figured this was the best place.

TL;DR: PcP changed team name to Delta Triad
Noted. Thanks. I'll be creating a section to clarify the registration of Season One Circuit teams.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

11-22-2010
9 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrilla Getta View Post
So do the circuit rankings just determine seedings for the season one tournament? When is and what regions are eligible to participate for this tournament?
It qualifies and seeds teams. There will be a FAQ posted shortly with more information.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

11-22-2010
10 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterJT View Post
The League of Legends competitive leaders are making this far too complicated. They are attempting to create an entirely new system to rank teams rather than using other online league structures that have proven to be successful. Riot you have the possibility to create one of the most competitive PC gaming communities to date, one that could rival the CoD, TF2 and DotA communities and hopefully one day achieve what CSS has been able too.

Solution

1) Create a Season of Competition
2) Open sign ups to all teams with a minimum being 5 and maximum being 8 (for 5's comp)
3) For season two I believe Riot could do a much better job, rather than everything being judged off of elo I believe the elo should be a part of the ranking system not determine the whole thing, because though I don't want to discuss it here because it could never end I believe the elo ranking system to not provide the best conditions for a competitive community to develop.
4) Once teams are signed up the task of ranking the teams begin. Going off of the current NewEgg Wanfest team list of around 250 teams I think a riot tournament could pull in nearly double this amount or rather close, probably around 350-450. So lets for example sake say we have 400 teams sign up. In order to rank them for the tournament I believe they should be ranked in two phases. At the start time of the tournament take the average 5's premade elo of each team and rank the teams from 1-400 based on this.
5) Once the teams are ranked by their premade 5's average elo a single elimination tournament begins much like the WanFest one and a winner is decided. Because of the format teams will come out of the tournament with a general ranking. After round 1 all teams that lost will be placed into the 200-400 bracket called the OPEN devision. The remaining 200 teams will continue and round 2 will eliminate 100 teams, round 3 eliminating 50 teams, etc. 3 devisions could be established following the tournament. OPEN division = teams 200-400 and any new teams
MAIN division = teams 50-200
PRO division = top 50 teams
6) Once these 3 devisions are created a season can begin with a set amount of weeks with a match each week, generally 8-12 weeks is acceptable. After this the record of each team will be taken and they will be placed into a playoff format with a tournament occurring for each devision. The top teams from Open can move up to Main and the worst teams in Main will move down to Open. The top teams from the Main tournament move up to Pro and the worst teams from Pro move down to Main. The top teams from Pro win money based on their tournament.

I realize this is a story but I hope everyone understands the structure I have proposed because this is the way many leagues function, the key is to get devisions that are easily manageable and then the best teams from each devision move up after each season and the worst move down, in this format the teams will be able to compete against players of their relative skill caliber as they improve and if they continue to improve as a team they will continually move up devisions. If we begin getting more teams then more devisions could be created but the more skilled the devisions get the smaller the amount of teams there should be so they can be showcased in broadcasts by companies that shoutcast games.

Hope this does something for somebody. I might make a forum post dedicated to this tournament format just to get community reactions. Lemme know what you think.
I appreciate the feedback Jester.

The reason this system was created is that we wanted to respect the current tournament organizers out there and include them into Season One rather than go it alone and ignore the current competitive scene that already exists.

It's a lot of work to organize tournaments. You will see more Riot Games run events in the future, but at the current time we have no way to run tournaments with the same frequency as all the other tournament organizers combined.

dream

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

11-24-2010

As far as I can tell, every sanctioned tournament so far has been 5v5. Now, I have no idea when the season is going to end, but it seems like 3v3 needs to get some love very soon if you want to have any kind of meaningful ranking/separation of teams for that format

Edit: Just read though some posts in more detail, and there is conflicting information, or at least confusing. One post says that 3v3 is an acceptable form of competition, and another says that Summoner's Rift is the only sanctioned map. I highly doubt this to mean that 3v3 tournaments on Summoner's Rift would be sanctioned over Treeline, but anything is possible I guess.

JesterJT

11-24-2010

yeah I understand you can only do what you can do and I understand that you would like to allow the other leagues to host events along with you're events but I just feel like were lacking a necessary constant tournament with weeks and a seasons because waiting for Cevo and Cal to get their **** together is frustrating. But gl to your team in the future as you guys expand the competitive scene.

P.S - My team was eliminated in our third game of the NewEgg tournament, we were beaten by TreeEskimo and his lot, all around 1800-1900 ratings, and if we had beaten them we would have played CLG, now I realize that both of these teams are overall better teams than my own at the current time because we have been playing together only a short while, but because of the tier structuring of the brackets in the tournament my team was faced with a terrible schedule. Does this count towards anything in the point basis or are we just **** out of luck?

12345678 ... 9