Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JelloPud

10-26-2013

Earnest Elf Tristana PENTAKILL#1 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5OIN_JPF8 )
Earnest Elf Tristana PENTAKILL#2 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNd1FkQYOmo )
Earnest Elf Tristana PENTAKILL#3 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPMG9QL7VIU )

Dear Riot:
Please forgive me for the following post, as some of it may come off as rude, offensive, or ill-mannered, but I'm simply just trying to relay how I truly feel about your "re-release of the limited skins".

It is no secret that League of Legends has exponentially grown in popularity since it's release back in 2009, nor is it any secret that two of the most popular holiday seasons are right around the corner (Christmas & Halloween). It is also quite evident that there are tons of people who do not have a limited time skin and want one.

With that being said, you don't need to be a genius to realize the potential money that could be made if you guys re-released the limited time skins. But may I remind you the definition of limited? May I remind you of importance of loyalty?

Personally, I own 3 of the rarest skins in league of legends, 4 if you want to include UFO corki (although not really rare). I personally own Earnest Elf Tristana, Silver Kayle, and Urf Warwick. Additionally, I've been offered nearly $500 for my account, (in most cases, specifically for my Earnest Elf Tristana skin), and I turned them all down knowing it's something I'd have that very few players had, and could show off with pride every time I played. In fact, I've played over 350 games as Earnest Elf Tristana, and there IS NOT ONE GAME that goes by that I do not get a compliment about it. It's a really good feeling to be recognized as having one of the rarest/cutest skins in the game, and is ultimately the reason why I've turned down big bucks just so I can keep it.

But now, you guys at Riot have put your greed for money over the loyalty of your fans who've been with you and supported you SINCE DAY 1, and it really disheartens, disappoints, and frankly pisses me the @#$% off.

Do car companies re-release old modeled cars, or the USA mint re-mint coins b/c of popular demand (in some cases yes, but they are always far different than the originals, and easily distinguishable from the classics). And unlike the real world, re-releasing something that was once limited in the digital world loses all value and authenticity. You say you're gonna refund original RP, give a special boarder, and summoner icon? Please, take them and shove them where the sun doesn't shine. I rather have my LIMITED skin, or a cold $500 in my pocket, as I've been offered numerous times before.

The fact is that when a company as well-known and well-respected as Riot claims something as limited, (and in fact have turned down previous instances of the public demanding the re-release limited skins), you tend to believe what they say, and take it that your limited skin is truly LIMITED, and will not be SOLD-OUT at the brink of the holiday season.

If you want any advice from me Riot, and want to retain any shred of integrity or respect, I suggest you take your forecasted googles of money you'd make off the re-release of the limited skins, hire a some new designers, and make brand new sets for the upcoming Halloween and Christmas season. Don't sell out your original and loyal fans in attempts to make a quick buck.

Now given the fact that there are far more people who do not have limited skins and want one, this post will probably be slaughtered with negative votes in attempts to not deter Riot from re-releasing the skins. But if you have any sense of integrity or can relate to some degree how I feel about this occurring..........

***PLEASE VOTE THUMBS UP ON THIS POST AND LET RIOT KNOW THIS IS UNFAIR AND SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN***

The only way we can force Riot to withdraw their offer is if enough loyal and sensible fans tell Riot it's not fair. Thank you for your time and sorry for the long post.

RuneKatashima

10-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
It actually does not enforce it--leaders of a team will be able to set whatever parameters they want. Double jungle? Five man mid? Make it happen!

But, because team collaboration is the name of the game, your teammates will need to be bought in by queuing for that position and accepting the plan beforehand. It's built into the system to allow for flexible meta expression.
That's actually not a very good answer. Personally I'd prefer that there was no "leader". In the same system with no leader it would be more expressive.

i am kryptonite

10-26-2013

i love the idea but i feel like introducing team builder mixed with the draft mode would be great..i love the idea of bans and the draft experience.

Tangueray

10-26-2013

I wish this was supporting more freedom in team comps. I dont think every match should have to consist of the exact same 5 roles to be competitive. Id rather have a chaotic match where there is a team of cc and nukers doing well or 5 tanky dps skipping laning phase and rushing mid for a victory in 10 min because the other team didnt create a strategy or work as a team to stop them. That makes this game fun, not being a sheep and following the same strategy game after game

Champion RockX

10-26-2013

Why is the Team Builder quee down on pbe?

Alpha1288

10-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 432 View Post
omg yes ty
^

SinHeartlesAngel

10-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSc0tty View Post
Looks sweet. If I wanna play support I can now queue instantly.
looks like queue will take a good hour per game LOL

Saint of Gaming

10-26-2013

This is hands down the change I am most excited about in the upcoming season (and I'm pretty darn excited for the others too!). I can't describe how many fights happen in champ select simply because two people want the same lane. Great work Riot.

magik8ball

10-26-2013

This actually looks like a good idea, and I'm impressed by how far Riot has gone with this. I have always been the sort of player that is "anti-meta," and I think that solidifying the meta removes a lot of dimensionality and strategic freedom from this game. The current solo queue has basically done the solidifying of the meta already, and if you ever want to change things up (like the pros do) you just have to get a team of friends. There's no way you'll convince 4 other random strangers in 60 seconds to do a strange team comp on a regular basis.

This team builder feature looks like it really helps out a lot with that issue. It will be a good way of shaking up solo queue and allowing for more viable builds to happen. At the same time, it also allows people to play the role that they are more confident in playing and/or whatever they want to play.

However, I do have to bring up the concern: how long will it last? This new queue is likely to be better than our current queue, but how much better will it be? Because if unorthodox team comps are punished with bad queue times, there could be some very big problems for actually shaking up the meta. Queue times, if they're too different, can actually be prohibitive to playing a game entirely.

For example, take Starcraft 2 on launch. After a few custom games became popular, no other custom games could become popular. Why? Because queues were made so efficient for the good games that there was just too massive a difference between queue times for popular games and queue times for new custom games. And since the queue times were too long, less people queued for these games, which made queue times longer, etc.

I think it's very important that queue times are reasonable no matter how unorthodox a composition is. Otherwise, diversity can be killed off very quickly and we'll be right back to where we are right now. Riot, make sure that you're not only gathering info on how accepting teams are of unorthodox champions, but also on how accepting players are of unorthodox teams. The meta-shakers need to have decent queue times just like everyone else or the solo queue meta will continue to stagnate.

you lovemee

10-26-2013

holy **** finally..People don't have to rage about who called first, who connected late, insulting each other's mother all becuz of lanes..