An Introduction to our support changes in preseason

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lm Krueger ml

10-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
We think its cool if a midlaner sees the jungler show up, scare off the mid lane, then grab a couple CS and go "ooh! more gold! Thanks!!" instead of "F!#@ing Rammus pushed my lane again."
Haha! Yeah, maybe on a heavy gank Jungler it could work out with constantly visiting lanes. Dunno if it'll be worth it til we see what you've done with the Jungler items though. I imagine picking up both a Jungler and a gp10 item will be sub-optimal but who knows til we test it!

Isysar

10-25-2013

Quote:
If we did this, it would look WEIRD.

Philo:
+hp regen
+mana regen
UNIQUE Passive - Scavenger: Get Gold from minion deaths.

(Purchasing Philosopher's Stone prevents Pickpocket and Lootshare items from working. The order of items purchased matters.)

That's an unwieldy and confusing tooltip. Locking out the items is far clearer.

Besides, there are NOT GOOD GAINS from stacking these items. They all provide regen stats. Woop. Stacking those into the midgame is not a smart plan.

Instead, by making them exclusive we can make the actives significantly sexier.
Let me tell you good sir, I demand significant sexiness. So I like this.

Borand

10-25-2013

First of all, seems like the supports are finally getting some love

I don't have much to add, since I'm waiting for the changes. I am secretly excited though.

I fear there will be one issue, as Xypherous used to say. I fear that having an item that requires you to give away part of your HP to save an ally might turn to be unfun: "OMG F*** SONA Y DIDN'T U SHIELD ME I WOULD HAVE LIVED. [All]: REPORT x9 THANKS"

I know this might seem exaggerated, but how will you act against something like this if it occurs?
Also, will the items be actively balanced once they are out?

Thanks!

Cookie Saiyan

10-25-2013

These changes are going to be fun to play with when they come out, but I'm curious to know whats going to happen to Avarice Blade. Is it going to be changed or removed?

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

10-25-2013
18 of 22 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isysar View Post
Let me tell you good sir, I demand significant sexiness. So I like this.
We're in luck. I have a master's degree in sexyfication. (Not a PHD, like Riot Lyte)

Isysar

10-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Saiyan View Post
These changes are going to be fun to play with when they come out, but I'm curious to know whats going to happen to Avarice Blade. Is it going to be changed or removed?
I have no knowledge but my guess is avarice blade will get turned into a jungling item for carry junglers or renamed into a new item or something. A jungle carry that just farms the jungle would really be the only person that would rely benefit from the item as it stands currently.

TaNKeD

10-25-2013

Avarice Blade going where?

cimbop

10-25-2013

Hey Xel I worry Support will still have the problem of a severe lack of itemisation, with the new changes it sounds like I'm going to be seeing Shurelia's every single game, I hope if you're locking Support items out you put some more options back in and make the choice between Shurelia's and its counterparts a tough one. Real item choice hasn't existed on Supports since I can remember. (Or ADs but that's another issue)

Isysar

10-25-2013

Quote:
We're in luck. I have a master's degree in sexyfication. (Not a PHD degree, like Riot Lyte)
LOL Awesome

TaNKeD

10-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimbop View Post
Hey Xel I worry Support will still have the problem of a severe lack of itemisation, with the new changes it sounds like I'm going to be seeing Shurelia's every single game, I hope if you're locking Support items out you put some more options back in and make the choice between Shurelia's and its counterparts a tough one. Real item choice hasn't existed on Supports since I can remember. (Or ADs but that's another issue)
You won't always be picking the new Philo though, so there's already an item distinction depending on what kind of support you're playing

Instead you'll get that item, plus level TWO boots, a Sightstone, and depending on how you're doing you'll actually get to build a couple of other full items