An Introduction to our support changes in preseason

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blabooer

10-25-2013

So just me, or does it sound like the new gold per 10 itemization will really hurt champions like Poppy who rely on them in a solo lane to keep up in generally unfavorable matchups? The same can be said anywhere really- if I fall behind, I often like to pick up either an Avarice Blade or a Kage's just to keep me in on the gold race. I'll also sometimes use them to strengthen a lead if one of their upgrades is a good item situationally for the game (e.g. Morellonomicon, WotA, Static Shyv).

Neofederalist

10-25-2013

Xel, have you internally tested this with non-traditional duo lanes? I'm not talking about ADC + Annie or something like that, but a kill lane like Jarvan/Leona.

My gut is that these sort of lanes will get insane with non-farming gold sources.

Xanthalis

10-25-2013

Got a question about the upgrade paths for each of the Gp5 items.

Say I'm Leona or Alistar, someone that doesn't use spells a lot on the enemy, so I pick up Philo Stone. Is there only one upgrade path? Will this upgrade be useful for those type of tanky supporting possibly initiating champs?

Same with Spellthief Blade. I see it being useful on Sona, Lulu, Thresh, Janna, among others. Does the upgrade(s) suit the play style of those champs, or is it universal enough to work? E.g. generally speaking, those supports won't be front line, hopefully aren't getting hit, with the situational exception of Thresh.

Changes look good, keep up the good work!

Super Explosion

10-25-2013

Xelnath, can you imagine what would happen if Janna's Monsoon pushback range increased with AP?

Is Riot up to the challenge of balancing something like that?

NowDatsWuzUp

10-25-2013

Will this mean Unconventional roles will be be pretty much gone?
Example: Ap sona mid, AP janna mid, Taric mid/top, etc.

Danica1708

10-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
No. Once you pick up Shurelia's Reverie (which now grants passive gp/5 and the bonus gold on minion death) you cannot start a Spellthief's Blade.
Ok thank you! I appreciate the clarification! Though I'm sure people are wondering what's going to happen to Bankplank haha

Astral Yorae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaddar View Post
so you're narrowing the "cool active options" by having us choose one of the thee GP10 items?
Seems so, but if we have many cool options on each branch, that won't be an issue. If you notice, these changes will give us even more gold than the currently gp10 items, even with a single item. =D

Shake ya Ashe

10-25-2013

To clarify, a champ can only buy one GP/10 item? If so, are recipe changes happening for items that build out of a GP/10? I do like my Twin Shadows as a support in addition to the Shurelya's.

Yaddar

10-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
No. Once you pick up Shurelia's Reverie (which now grants passive gp/5 and the bonus gold on minion death) you cannot start a Spellthief's Blade.
then what about the items that upgrade from Spellthef's blade?? are we restricted from them now?

hmmm doesn't quite feel right.

TaNKeD

10-25-2013

Why does Riot never mention Leona when they talk about their main support characters? She fits nowhere else!

She's my favorite but hardly acknowledged