@Morello: Teach us game design

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PaulTheMerc

10-25-2013

In a Sivir hread you wrote....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No, you need to read the posts. Her kit is good now, and perhaps not tuned correctly. Therefore, we should tune it correctly.

And this is why so much thrash happens on GD. There's little understanding the difference between balanced and balancable. If it's not the strongest, it's trash, and its design is trash.

FFS. The disagreements don't bother me (those can be very good!) the anger doesn't bother me, it's that I don't have time to teach 10's of millions of people about game design, but they want to tell you how much they know about how to do it. And without it, it will be a lot of posts like this that taunt me into posting on them instead of something good.

As the thread title states, teach us the basics of game design. What I mean specifically, a behind the scene video that explains in some detail the process you guys take. I understand you may not be able to do it yourself, so perhaps get an intern or someone interested at Riot, to get together with the game designers when possible, and tackle the process?

In general, it would be awsome to understand how you guys go about some processes, the reasoning, and you know, in the future, if people have an issue, you could send em to the video.

Then you could find a little bookshelf on the site where you guys could post similar educational videos. I know the folks on the forums who have been asking about what it takes to do a job at Riot takes, would happily learn.

Cmon folks, Don't let this get buried. Maybe I need to post this on the Reddit forums to make Riot notice it? Seems they spend a lot of time there.

PaulTheMerc

10-25-2013

bump

Morello

Lead Designer

10-25-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTheMerc View Post
In a Sivir hread you wrote....

As the thread title states, teach us the basics of game design. What I mean specifically, a behind the scene video that explains in some detail the process you guys take. I understand you may not be able to do it yourself, so perhaps get an intern or someone interested at Riot, to get together with the game designers when possible, and tackle the process?

In general, it would be awsome to understand how you guys go about some processes, the reasoning, and you know, in the future, if people have an issue, you could send em to the video.

Then you could find a little bookshelf on the site where you guys could post similar educational videos. I know the folks on the forums who have been asking about what it takes to do a job at Riot takes, would happily learn.

Cmon folks, Don't let this get buried. Maybe I need to post this on the Reddit forums to make Riot notice it? Seems they spend a lot of time there.
I actually enjoy doing that sort of thing. Unfortunately right now, I have a lot of things on my plate just to help out on League right now

It's something cool to do, but very time-intensive!

Tolthin

10-25-2013

Quote:
I actually enjoy doing that sort of thing. Unfortunately right now, I have a lot of things on my plate just to help out on League right now

Maybe in the distant future? :-)

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

10-25-2013

Quote:

Since you're here...

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...0#post42489450

Knight Auditor

10-25-2013

Turns out Riot noticed it pretty quickly.

Teslafury

10-25-2013

Quote:

In other words, some time in the very distant future.

/sigh

I think a lot of "Champion X is OP/UP" threads and arguments can be avoided if Riot gave us a better understanding of their thought process.

Also what happened to patch preview videos? Production of patch preview videos seems to have been forgotten over the past few patches. Is Riot that busy that they can't even spend the time to make a video explaining the reasons behind some of the key changes in each patch? IF that was the case, how do you have time to type out lengthy patch notes.

InternetTAB

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2013

best morello bait I've seen

Tolthin

10-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslafury View Post
Also what happened to patch preview videos? Production of patch preview videos seems to have been forgotten over the past few patches. Is Riot that busy that they can't even spend the time to make a video explaining the reasons behind some of the key changes in each patch? IF that was the case, how do you have time to type out lengthy patch notes.
I'm pretty sure the "lengthy notes" are supposed to replace the videos, and they said they switched to written form because it's easier.

doublelift fg

10-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhailRaptor View Post
Since you're here...
and that http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...hlight=alistar