An Introduction to our vision changes in preseason

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ControlBlue

10-24-2013

- Game starts
- Buy 5 Lens, activate them all at the same time at key locations
- Great you know where the enemy is now.
- Repeat during the whole match.

I can't wait to see the counterplays around that. I hope at least the revealing effect is visible to the enemy team, so they can have a clue why they suddenly got ganked merely 1 minute into the game.

Michael Tan

10-24-2013

As someone who plays a lot of support, I really have to say: Thanks riot! The 3 green ward + 1 pink ward cap per player means that as a support, I only have to buy a Ruby sightstone and a pink ward every 3 minutes and my warding is capped out! So I actually get to buy other items!!! Yay!

HayabusaZero

10-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageoffire View Post
A 3 ward limit for sight wards (Stealth wards?) is NOT cool. It NEEDS to be bumped up to at least 4 if Sightstone isnt being removed. If a player gets a sightstone you dont really have a reason to buy a ward again the entire game except in super specific cases.

Either the limit needs to be bumped up to so you have a reason to use both sightstone AND wards if you want to, or sightstone needs to get the boot.

I prefer a painful bloody murder of the sightstone. ive always hated being required to buy that damned thing
Are you crazy? Sightstone is the perfect item for Supports now that the limit is set to 3 active wards!! No more expending on wards to light the freaking map like a christmas tree and die just getting blow by the wind. This means that supports CAN buy items with the money they currently use just for wards. More items, more fun gameplay!

Super Explosion

10-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubME View Post
I said in a post a couple pages back that this thread is about vision, not the support role overall. That's another set of changes for S4 that will happen in another thread.

I'm trying to keep this relevant to vision.
It is. They're intimately related.

You're trying to reduce the ward burden on supports?

Give supports items to have that are as good as wards.

The same reason every other class doesn't want to buy wards.

This creates a strategic decision for the support player between vision and other kinds of support.

Coldmanj

10-24-2013

Quote:
A 3 ward limit for sight wards (Stealth wards?) is NOT cool. It NEEDS to be bumped up to at least 4 if Sightstone isnt being removed. If a player gets a sightstone you dont really have a reason to buy a ward again the entire game except in super specific cases.

Either the limit needs to be bumped up to so you have a reason to use both sightstone AND wards if you want to, or sightstone needs to get the boot.

I prefer a painful bloody murder of the sightstone. ive always hated being required to buy that damned thing
first of all if everyone gets a trinket that can place wards and grant vision a single player should never need to place more than 3 stealth wards as it is now easy for an entire team, reluctant as they might be to grant valuable vision for the entire team without sacrificing slots and gold.

second, sightstone is still an extremely valuable support item in this set up as it opens anyone that buys one the ability to swap to a different trinket utility.

third you have never been forced to purchase a sightstone. While i feel it is silly if you are support not to buy it no where in the game does it say you have to.

please chill out, actually read everything in xyphs first post all the way through and think about this from a team wide aspect rather than just yourself.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

10-24-2013
7 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
A 3 ward limit for sight wards (Stealth wards?) is NOT cool. It NEEDS to be bumped up to at least 4 if Sightstone isnt being removed. If a player gets a sightstone you dont really have a reason to buy a ward again the entire game.
This is the intended result. If you have sightstone, you should no longer feel the need to buy green wards again. Period.

Coldmanj

10-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tan View Post
As someone who plays a lot of support, I really have to say: Thanks riot! The 3 green ward + 1 pink ward cap per player means that as a support, I only have to buy a Ruby sightstone and a pink ward every 3 minutes and my warding is capped out! So I actually get to buy other items!!! Yay!
actually you dont have to buy a pink ward every 3 mins as it never disapears on its own now... but you might want to stock up on them cause they are not invisible anymore

Noraver

10-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
This is the intended result. If you have sightstone, you should no longer feel the need to buy green wards again. Period.
Brilliant.

PubME

10-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabonidus View Post
That was pretty much my attempted point, if badly worded, but yeah. I was more stating that ideally, any negative effect on the jungler will be counteracted by the new jungle, and that everyone as a whole will be better off for how the new wards work.
Gotcha - misunderstood a bit.

I agree. Seeing how the vision, support, and jungle changes all mesh together to fully improve both roles and the overall metagame that's currently dominated by vision will be SUPER interesting.

The way I see the new vision mechanics working out is that the Jungle (because of high mobility and map roaming) and the Support will still be the major ward-droppers. It's just a natural function of what the role itself does.

But now, the ADC can drop a ward from a free trinket. Mid can drop a ward from a free trinket. Top can drop a ward from a free trinket.

BAM. That's three key wards for a short period of time, and the Support didn't have to buy it.

EspeonageTieler

10-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
but 3 wards just is not enough to keep vision