Future of Dominion: Chat with ManWolfAxeBoss

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DG Denz Brujah

10-23-2013

ohh and if folks like morello put half as much effort into supporting dominion as they do spewing trash about it we"d have a much larger community, team, esport coverage etc!!!

Nexus Crawler

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lyon View Post
I kind of like that idea, but what if it neutralized all enemy towers instead? That would make it an absolute must to defend for the winning team, and a "must capture" for the losing side?
And when its the winning team that claims it and the losing team simply just sets 1 bot to reinforce for a cap with 3 mid and quickly claim their lost points it becomes something pretty meaningless.

Also you don't want a MUST contest objective. You want a objective that can give a significant advantage either to take control of the game again or add to that, or further snowball it.

A better example of this would be (and I'm pulling this right out of my ass) an objective that forced a wave spawn/super minion on controlled points adjacent to enemy controlled points. This could help threaten and apply pressure to 2 points of contention which forces decision making allowing either for 1) further snowballing or 2) an advantage to capitalize on to make a come back.

Fancy Wolf

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferer View Post
Lots of people have talked about adding a baron style neutral monster, but I think that would be a bit weird. There's no other neutral monsters on the map, and having a capture objective fits in with the rest of the map's playstyle.
My idea has always been a neutral monster, but not one that attacks you. Its a crystal beast that spawns and will deal damage to people near it when not being channeled (overflowing with power or something).

Once a team has fully channeled or "killed" the beast, the team that managed to accomplish this goal would get a buff akin to baron but more suited for Dom.

Having a middle objective would also kill the stalemate of the 2 options a losing team has..
A) We teamfight and hope we beat the winning team. (which you lose if you dont have a stronger teamfight)
B) Gank bot and force pressure away from top.(which wont work if they know you have to gank bot)

This monster could also create this separate "phase" that everyone is so worried about, you would have your 1st monster phase at say 5 minutes, 2nd (with hopefully a new monster) phase at 10 minutes, and the final monster phase at 15-20 minutes.

ManWolfAxeBoss

QA Analyst

10-23-2013
2 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manse View Post
In soccer, the objective is to kick the ball in the net. There are no other meaningful secondary objectives (oversimplifying). Things like midfield position and offside traps, and set piece corner/free kicks never become focal points. It is the largest sport internationally, yet has a relatively minor following in the States. Is that the fault of the game itself or of explanations, attitudes, and lack of cradle-to-grave fan and amateur player indoctrination in the states?
The soccer analogy is interesting, though I think basketball may be more apt. Soccer has one of the highest highs in all of sports, the goal. It also has a near non-existent entry barrier (do you have a ball? cool you can play soccer).

Maybe we should reduce Dom capture points to 2 and a team gains a point each time they cap one. Reset after cap. Soccminion? Doccer?

As for explanations, attitudes, support, etc. that's difficult to analyze and I feel like the conversation will just degenerate into arguing over a ranked queue. In the end, I think it's the players that decide whether or not something is popular. I know this isn't the response you want to hear and I'm sorry.

wolferer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness4910 View Post
Nice idea wolferer, but that could open up the possibility of intentionally losing in order to easily complete the quest later on.
Well the numbers may need to be tweaked, but the idea is that the amount of time you need to be losing for the quest to spawn is a bigger negative than the positive of getting the quest.

Chavez Obama

10-23-2013

It almost sounds like they want some sort of forward snowball (in SR, you get an advantage and push it for different things at different points in the game. Tower, dragon, Baron, inhib, nexus). Maybe there can be alternative ways to push an advantage. For example, inhibitors that when destroyed, will make your points capped faster, or maybe you lose more points for being behind.

InPopplesWeTrust

10-23-2013

I like the idea that infinite crisis has where the team who capped the mid point sent down meteors altering the map and damaging the enemy nexus was a cool little feature

DG Denz Brujah

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWolfAxeBoss View Post
In the end, I think it's the players that decide whether or not something is popular. I know this isn't the response you want to hear and I'm sorry.
and there in lies a major problem!
Where are the Dom tutorials?
Where is the basic explanation of the meta
Ppl play Dom for the first time thinking its SR
and it isnt and when the initial experience is poor it taints their view forever

First Impressions are also the most important
and on this Riot has set Dom up to fail

konfetarius

10-23-2013

Quote:
Maybe we should reduce Dom capture points to 2 and a team gains a point each time they cap one. Reset after cap. Soccminion? Doccer?
Sounds like an ARAM game mode project more than Dom project :/

exec3

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWolfAxeBoss View Post
Sounds like this would be better as a new 3v3 map. A baby brother to Dominion like how Twisted Treeline is the baby brother to Summoner's Rift.

Though the idea of a point gaining system is intriguing. One of Dominions problems is the lack of satisfaction because you're ultimately trying to lose your points at a slower rate than the enemy. Perhaps if you twisted the 500 points so that you're gaining points throughout the match instead of losing them?

Another thought, perhaps if there were overall less points but doing things like capping/killing enemies gave you more points. Gaining 1 point over a possible 500 is nothing, gaining 1 point over a possible 50 however is a lot bigger.