Friends list chat opens different friend than who I click on

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HakunamaKatarina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2013

Alrighty, so basically the other night I logged on and started to chat up my friend who I talk to literally every night. After I said a few things, I noticed that I clicked the wrong guy, or so I thought. I Said, my bad wrong person, and closed the chat and then right clicked on my friend who I actually wanted to talk to, and the same chat popped up.

I'm going to go ahead and say the actual names, since it'll probably be confusing if I don't. So you see how my name is Katarina? Well it's bugged on the forums, but my other friend who i talk to all the time, his name is Jarvan IV.

So I log on, click on Jarvan IV, and it opens chat for another friend named bomberdude, who isn't even online, and i click opening and closing it, and it won't chat up my friend named Jarvan IV. So I go ahead and relog, and it finally fixes it....Or so I though.

If you'd like to see the video of it, here is the VOD from my stream.
http://www.twitch.tv/zorphox/c/3116762

Ok, so a few days pass, and I'm going to click on Jarvan IV again, and bang, there's bomberdude again, and I say, hey, sorry again, I'm gonna relog, got the chat bug. So I relog, click on Jarvan IV, and bang, once again, bomberdude. So then I inform my friend bomberdude that I'm going to block him, remove him, and then see if it fixes it. So I do so, and nope, bomberdude opens again, so I relog, and try again. Well guess, what no more bomberdude! But it isn't fixed yet. Instead of bomberdude, it shows my other friend badwordsarebad. So basically, it got rid of bomberdude to see if it would fix it, and nope, it just opened another friend.

Well, I submitted a ticket, and I was told to post it here also, so there you go guys, I don't know what anyone here is going to help me with, but it's worth a try.

Thank you!

Riot Exgeniar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

QA Analyst

10-22-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Hi Katårina!

Thank you very much for taking your time to report this bug with a very useful video. We are aware of the issue and we actually have a fix for this in the upcoming patch. If it doesn't fix it, I would be a very sad Amumu…

I am not sure exactly how you got into this situation, but it is commonly caused by 3rd party chat clients. So this work around may or may not work, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

The magical work around:

1. Go to the folder: \RADS\projects\lol_air_client\releases\\deploy\logs
  2. Look at your last log (look at the Date Modified) and you should find a line in that log file similar to the following: (TIMESTAMP) [WARN] com.riotgames.platform.gameclient.chat.controllers .BuddyListPresentationModel BuddyListPresentationModel.updateOnlineStatus: Could Not Find Roster Group For User, He may be stuck in wrong group now! User: (A FRIEND'S NAME HERE)
  3. Make a note of that friend
  4. Now go back into the Air Client / PvP.net and remove that noted friend.
  5. Re-add that friend (if you still want to chat with him/her ) and hopefully this will fix your issue

Try this out and let me know how it goes.

-Exgeniar

Coredor

10-22-2013

Hey I have this same issue and just thought I'd let you know. The person who's name appears wrong on my friends list is actually not in my friend list. I can not add them to friends. They however see me on their friends list and can talk to me.

Mars Adept

10-22-2013

i tried this work around and it fixed it but now i can't gift my friend skins on his birthday...
he's gonna think i don't care about his birthday T.T

Ambehr

10-22-2013

I'm experiencing the same issue.

More and more frequently people that are on my friends list I chat with are appearing offline in the chat but online in the list. It used to be the odd person but now it's basically anyone that is set to AWAY tends to appear offline in a chat window.

Today, I tried to talk to a friend (We'll call him 'A') in my list but ended up getting said issue above. Another person (B), that is on my friends list, chat window popped up and wouldn't allow me to chat with friend A. Adding to this, when I opened the chat for friend B his would open normally but when you wanted to close the chat it would take multiple clicks to actually close it, instead of just one.

HakunamaKatarina

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exgeniar View Post
Hi Katårina!

Thank you very much for taking your time to report this bug with a very useful video. We are aware of the issue and we actually have a fix for this in the upcoming patch. If it doesn't fix it, I would be a very sad Amumu…

I am not sure exactly how you got into this situation, but it is commonly caused by 3rd party chat clients. So this work around may or may not work, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

The magical work around:
  1. Go to the folder: <yourLOLInstallDirectory>\RADS\projects\lol_air_cl ient\releases\<theBiggestNumber>\deploy\logs
  2. Look at your last log (look at the Date Modified) and you should find a line in that log file similar to the following: (TIMESTAMP) [WARN] com.riotgames.platform.gameclient.chat.controllers .BuddyListPresentationModel BuddyListPresentationModel.updateOnlineStatus: Could Not Find Roster Group For User, He may be stuck in wrong group now! User: (A FRIEND'S NAME HERE)
  3. Make a note of that friend
  4. Now go back into the Air Client / PvP.net and remove that noted friend.
  5. Re-add that friend (if you still want to chat with him/her ) and hopefully this will fix your issue

Try this out and let me know how it goes.

-Exgeniar
Thanks for the reply! As of now it's letting me message him, without doing anything but logging on today. In the solution you sent me, when I get to the releases folder, there are multiple folders with random numbers, and inside the folders are the deploy folders, so I don't know which one to click.

Also, I once used the lol chat client for my iphone, but that was a few months ago and I haven't touched it since, and this problem actually just started happening randomly about two days ago. Right when I posted that video is the first time that it occurred.

Hopefully it don't happen again, but if it does, I have him on skype, and I talk to him every night, so it would be nice to have it fixed :P

Thanks again for the reply.

EDIT:

This is the last lane, and this is what it says:

10/23/2013 01:31:04.710 [WARN] com.riotgames.platform.gameclient.module.rt.view.p rofile.ProfileTeamContent unsupported queue type ODIN_TEAM_PREMADE in ProfileTeamContent

Riot Exgeniar

QA Analyst

10-23-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambehr View Post
I'm experiencing the same issue.

More and more frequently people that are on my friends list I chat with are appearing offline in the chat but online in the list. It used to be the odd person but now it's basically anyone that is set to AWAY tends to appear offline in a chat window.

Today, I tried to talk to a friend (We'll call him 'A') in my list but ended up getting said issue above. Another person (B), that is on my friends list, chat window popped up and wouldn't allow me to chat with friend A. Adding to this, when I opened the chat for friend B his would open normally but when you wanted to close the chat it would take multiple clicks to actually close it, instead of just one.
This is also caused by the same issue we have the fix for. You can try to see if the work around is successful at fixing your problem, if not, you are going to either need to wait for the patch fix or submit a support ticket.

Riot Exgeniar

QA Analyst

10-23-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katårina View Post
Use the folder with the biggest number (or the latest date modified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katårina View Post
This is the last lane, and this is what it says:

10/23/2013 01:31:04.710 [WARN] com.riotgames.platform.gameclient.module.rt.view.p rofile.ProfileTeamContent unsupported queue type ODIN_TEAM_PREMADE in ProfileTeamContent
If you didn't hit the issue during the air client session, the "Could Not Find Roster Group For User" error isn't going to show up. You can be experiencing the other cases of the problem, which can't be easily fixed until the patch comes :'(

BIGVIDO

10-23-2013

Hi,

I am also having this issue, I have Uninstalled and Reinstalled and I keep getting the same issue. I also am not using any 3rd party software after the fresh Reinstall .