Morello, A Moment of Your Time Please for Pantheon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GhostStalker

10-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotFpMcgee View Post
Since this thread is still getting some life, and I haven't been on the forums in quite some time, I feel a lot more comfortable talking about this topic.

Do you guys still feel like Pantheon doesn't have a good niche/role within the scope of the game? What specifically do you think he fails at? And by the same token, what do you think is core to what makes Pantheon Pantheon?

Warning, I'm not actively working on a rework or anything of that nature involving him, but I saw this thread was still getting some activity and I haven't said hey in awhile, so I wanted to chat
I think Pantheon's gameplay can be a lot more fun and exciting if his Q was a skillshot, and his Stun was like a non-targeted dash but requires a minion to target (Think Lucian's Q). Could open up pantheon to be a lot more exciting.

Artyom Vexis

10-21-2013

Quote:
Since this thread is still getting some life, and I haven't been on the forums in quite some time, I feel a lot more comfortable talking about this topic.

Do you guys still feel like Pantheon doesn't have a good niche/role within the scope of the game? What specifically do you think he fails at? And by the same token, what do you think is core to what makes Pantheon Pantheon?

Warning, I'm not actively working on a rework or anything of that nature involving him, but I saw this thread was still getting some activity and I haven't said hey in awhile, so I wanted to chat
Well, I just played a few games with Pantheon to figure out the kinks in his armor.

Personally, I feel like he's in a fantastic position as he is right now. That ult of his, at level three will always do 1000 base damage to those near you in the center, and when you use his ult to cut of an escape, it almost always works. Plus there's the matter of the ability to use his W when still mid-air, so the enemy gets a facefull regardless.

But in all honesty, nobody builds AP Pantheon unless it's a custom game, why make his W and R AP ratios? I understand making his ult strictly AP scaling, because he would do way too much damage. But the magic scaling on a shield bash is about as likely as having AP scaling on Riven's shield.

IS1c0576ec0ecef2

10-21-2013

Quote:

Pantheon late game doesn't have the same safety as other Melee AD Casters.

He's quite squishy unless you build him tanky, but then his damage suffers massively compared to other AD Casters. So really it's a no-win situation, be squishy and deal massive damage, or be tankier, and deal little damage.
(This is in part, due to the fact that he only has 2 scaling AD spells, and he's an AD caster.. While other people have 3-4. and escapes).
Heartseeker procing at 15% health has always had me asking questions. Half the time early-game, Enemies have only 1000 health anyways, and spearshotting them when they're at 150, so it can crit for 250+ damage just seems.. stupid to me. This even continues to late game where your spears are doing 700-800 damage normally, what is the point of them critting when someone is already at a health point lower than the spears damage, by quite a bit?

The only time this passive is nice, is when you're vs a very beefy champ, you get guaranteed crits. I feel though as if this number should be raised to maybe 25% for guaranteed crits, it's simply not useful for anyone else that's not really beefy/tanky. It gives him a much more solid ground to stand on, being able to crit for as much health as the enemy has early-game, and giving him a bit of a push late-game being able to kinda execute people late-game below 25% health.

Also, my one question.. What was the point of making Pantheons spears scale with IE's passive? It's an incredibly non-ideal build path for him, especially with what I've stated above^^^(Oh, now im doing 1000 damage on crits, but my enemy only has 350 health). If you want to make it a viable item for him, his HSS active needs to also scale off it, allowing him a chance to crit on the damage. Right now though, I see no reason as to why his Q and IE passive were made to work.

Happy Firetrucks

10-21-2013

I recently fought one that went full offense.
All he did was spam non-dodgeable spears until you hit 15%.
Then abused Cleaver and speared for more than Nidalee's spears.
Always crit for over half.

Yep, that's balanced.

Roshandala

10-21-2013

Whenever I play pantheon what happens is if i skyfall in everyone instantly destroys me with cc and everything. They need to make him cc proof for 1 second after the fall.

DrewRoid

10-21-2013

I like that he's a spartan. It's cool to block stuff with the shield. Also cool to headshot people with the spear. I feel like he should have Lee Sins ult to be honest. It would just fit.

ZeroKuno

10-21-2013

He needs to feel more of a SPARTAN!

All of his abilities should be devastating!

FurryKittenSoup

10-21-2013

What makes pantheon pantheon is stunning then doing insane burst. thats its.

RiotFpMcgee

Associate QA Strategist

Follow RiotFpMcgee on Twitter

10-21-2013
7 of 18 Riot Posts

So aggregating responses:

1. He's too squishy when building assassin, and he has no escapes.
2. His ultimate is hard to land and has a too long of a cast time.
3. His passive doesn't feel very meaningful.

1. His damage output is pretty darn high against squishy targets, and every time he has 400g at fountain and an open item slot, he can powerspike, because almost all of his item paths involve long swords. In terms of raw single target decimation capability, he falls off late game once team fights start happening (he hates peel) but at least in my experience, he can provide comparable map pressure to Shen with his semi-global ultimate. I personally feel these are reasonable trade-offs for the squishiness.

2. His ultimate could use some intuitiveness changes, because the optimal use case is rarely to jump ON someone, but to generally jump in their escape path due to it's cast time. I'm not sure how I would resolve this, but I agree with the frustration point. Maybe if the range of W extended for .5 sec after usinghis jump?

3. At least in my opinion, his passive feels awesome in lane, but come midgame teamfights, it's hard for it to feel impactful. Again, dunno, what we could do to it though to make it feel better.

What are your guys thoughts?

SouL1ess

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2013

I think the resist -> damage on Aegis (W) is pretty smart. It wouldn't be as powerful as bonus AD ratios, but it would benefit Pantheons who build more tanky and use the stun more often in a teamfight.