Ideas for the eventual Taric VU

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlumlordThanatos

10-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahYahTrick View Post
I just broke my monitor screen by throwing my wallet at it.

Thanks a lot.

Brent Rambo II

10-19-2013

Will there be a kit rework going along with his future VU?

Or will you be having them done separately?

Hrud

10-19-2013

My biggest beef against Taric visuals-wise is that nothing he does really feels dynamic.

It's like the armor is too heavy for him. He's an anemic slug and he looks like he'll faint at every steps and moves he makes.

For all the armor and badass weapons he wields, he doesn't do anything really impressive with them. They are purely cosmetics.

The hair and voice are outrageous, though, and I am 100% for constantly flowing hair.

archonshope

10-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
They're both good options, I guess it depends where we want to take him. Should he be an armored knight that likes gems? Or literally have his armor made of crystal? Or something totally different?
I would prefer that his armor was made out crystals, gives him a fantasy look but at the same time look a bit more neutral (sexual orientations) imo look way cooler then . . . gems . . .

but then again I bet there are a lot of people that love their armored gem knight, we shouldn't upset them I guess

Prismatic

10-19-2013

Is it possible to have his hammer to have more of a *Smash* effect when it hits someone? (See Omniknight auto SFX) I loved playing taric in S2, and occasionally in S3, but his autoattacks, having a hammer the size of a small child, when he hits something it feels more like a pillow fight than a Manhammer being swung by a manlyman.

Also, is it possible his hammer can get bigger in the VU? Nothing like size with the most fabulous champ in bot lane.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-19-2013
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Rambo II View Post
Will there be a kit rework going along with his future VU?

Or will you be having them done separately?
I think the VU has some kit updates. I'm not 100% sure though. We have yet to pass concept phase. Still a lot of drawing to do and syncing up with Design and Creative to figure out exactly where we want to go with him.

Relaunch is trying to get in line with what Live Design is planning/has planned when it wants to introduce major kit updates or overhauls. The term Rework is technically what is used for major kit changes, and Rework + VU is the term for a kit update with a visual overhaul included.

The optimistic plans of the latter is a loooonnng list. Longest of the 4 categories. Those categories being Rework (mechanics changes only), Relaunch (complete redo of existing character, mechanics, theme, art), Visual Update (Art update only) and Visual Update + Rework (Mechanics changes and visual changes, but no drastic changes to theme).

Snufoo

10-19-2013

parrot! Taric is my favorite champ and I'm liking the discussion on him as he's kind of fallen out of favor recently both gameplay and visuals wise. However, I don't agree eith The two-handed hammer change as that is already Jayces thing. Please don't remove Taric's shield, I love his gem shield, and I'd like to think that dazzle could be reworked into a shield charge stun or shield boomerang (think Captain America style) that stuns or knocks back. It would be counterable unlike the point and click dazzle and make taric alot more fun to play imo

Frayace

10-19-2013

IronStylus, theres one thing I dont like about Taric. His dance. Please change it, it doesnt really look good when he is holding things so large trying to do that.

Guttler

10-19-2013

I'd love to see Taric get a VU. He always used to be my 'go to' support champion. Sadly this season has been a hard one for the gem knight.

Things to note about Taric:

1. If you look at his splash arts, his Hammer looks way larger then the in-game version does. In both his regular splash and armor of the 5th age, Taric is seen resting his hammer on his shoulder. It may be worth exploring making him rest a big ol' hammer on his shoulder. Maybe make him fight like Auran from Final Fantasy X. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZjHmNiAEw Here is a video of Auron, in my 2 minute google search I couldn't find an in combat video of how Auron swinging a sword looks, but I'm sure it must exist someplace. Another thing about having a big hammer is that lots of champions already wield extremely large weapons with 1 hand so I don't think it needs to be 2 handed to be 'cool'. (Darius has a 1 handed great axe, Tryndamere has a huge sword that hovers just above the ground. P.S. How cool would Tryndamere's sword be if t dragged through the dirt and left a slight trail?)

2. This is just a VU right, not a full rework? I think I'd be happier with a full rework honestly because Taric still has some dumb elements balance wise imo. (Stuns duration goes up .1 seconds for each rank, every other CC that gains duration on ranks goes from 1 seconds to 3 seconds. Also, He E's damage swings between 40 and 80 at rank 1, which is pretty lame when you compare it to Darius whose Q damage swings between 70 and 105+ the Ad ratio at rank 1.)

Anyway, as for point 2 I anted to mention that Traic's ultimate is named 'Radiance' and the animation never felt too good on it. When I hear that an ability is named Radiance on it's on a gem based champion that was a tank originally, but slowly migrated to support I'm thinking big AoE CC ability, something like a .5 second AoE taunt followed by a big blast of light that blinds for 1 second. I'd really like the ult to feel and look "Radiant" make it a high point for the Taric player, make it terrifying to be on the enemy team when Taric uses it. Make it awesome and bright and powerful looking. The art team did a great job with Garen's new ulty. I'm sure you can make a great Taric ult.

3. Let's talk about his armor. Taric's lore indicates that his father was a famous healer who trained Taric the power of using gemstones. One thing it may be worth considering is that Tarics armor usually has all the same kind of gems in it. Atleast all the gesm in his armor are the same color, which is confusing because Taric himself mentions varius gem types (rubies, opals, etc.) during his dialogue. Consider making his suit of armor still made of metal (not made out of gems, because then it all have to be 1 color I'd think) but in all the different gem sockets he has a different color/type of gem. He can have one shoulder be quartz and the other shoulder emerald, hi shield can have a ruby and his chest plate can have opal, amethyst, and lapiz lazuli stones. I'm interesting in seeing him show off his collection of powerful gems.

It would even be possible to make certain abilities trigger a glow on different gem stones sockets. Say when Taric uses his heal, the emeralds glow brightly or give a small sparkel. When he uses the stun his dismond glows instead. Give a visual indicator that he is drawing magic from the gemstones in his armor.

We all know Taric is fabulous. I may be a good idea to have his armor look clean, bright, and shiny at all times. Maybe something like the Twinkle Aura from Spiral Knights could be used as an effect on his armor. http://wiki.spiralknights.com/File:T...a-Equipped.png It basically makes a small X shaped twinkle appear at some point on the armor every few seconds, you can see one in the image.

4. I think it's pretty necessary for Taric to keep his shield. In all his splasharts the shield looks pretty big. Actually the shield on his in-game model looks much smaller then the shield in the splash art. I think it could be possible to make Taric as someone who had a big shield and a big hammer. Maybe even make his hammer beyond super sized and give him 175 auto attack range? His hammer and shield look massive in his splashart. The -in-game model does it no justice.

5. Taric needs a better more diverse autoattack animation. I am a D&D DM and I have a thing for using sword and board paladins in my campaigns. One thing that is fun to do with them is to take a few feats that allow you to fight with your sheild as an off hand weapon. I would be happy if Taric attacked not only with his hammer, but with his shield also.

6. Taric needs shoes that fit better.

7. One thing I noticed when I was looking the the ability videos of Taric on his champions page in the client is that his hammer has a very wide head.

Like the head part is probably about as wide as the hammer is long. Maybe make the head a bit narrower and the handle longer?

I know it sounds like I and everyone else in this thread wants Taric's VU to be the quality of a legendary skin, but that is just because we are so passionate about Taric and he has been in a poor visual state for a long time now. Taric is a rad dude and I love him. Ironstylus, If the Taric VU goes well, you can be a rad dude too.

IS1fa0f6fc30425254a902f

10-19-2013

Sir iron, good night.

Any chances that taric ultimate can be a shapeshift into his 'true gem form'?

I dont know, but an jeweled angel, with big crystal wings and a weapon with a extra effect (i dont know, an frostfire blade maybe?)

Same status effects on the ultimate, if any doubt, just for a epic ultimate.

I would really love to see, how it would become on the bloodstone taric, for example xD