RiotTantram Best Urgot NA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotTantram

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Software Engineer

10-16-2013
11 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solan Stonewhip View Post
quick question then.

since you're right and his q procs sheen. why build gauntlets instead of triforce?
I prefer the cooldown reduction and tankiness that are associated with gauntlets.

Noxe Out

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-16-2013

Tantram also plays a mean Varus.

Mestergrog

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by studDUGY View Post
I, too, am in the Urgot fan club. I find him incredibly fun to play. However, the more I play against good opponents, the less I see him viable against other ADC's. His basic attack range and damage are way too low in my opinion. Late game, Urgot becomes kind of useless since his damage output is nowhere close to another ADC like Vayne, and his ult doesn't have much use if you're playing him as a marksman and not tanky.

I'll try him in the jungle once, haven't tried that. I just believe that other ADC's like Jinx or Vayne are flat out better than Urgot, even when Urgot is played correctly. I don't know how the balance goes at Riot HQ, but if his Q could proc on hit effects and give his basic attack a better range/damage, Urgot would become once again a strong option for a marksman.
Does almost nobody build Urgot as a tank?

Sure, being played in the ADC role, he's built full AD + CDR (like how Doublelift built at All Stars), but tank Urgot is much stronger at initating and dealing damage to squishy targets (Urgot doesn't scale well but his damage without items is pretty strong compared to most, and tankiness + armor pen allows him to output good DPS against more fragile targets).

Really, the last time I saw Urgot do well was a game in IEM Katowice: Azubu vs Fnatic. Urgot built a Brutalizer, and then Warmogs and Glacial Shroud before working on Black Cleaver. Tanky Urgot is the most effective way to bring out his strengths.

The trade-off is that Urgot scales worse, of course, but that can be compensated with another role picking the strong-scaling champion, or just winning through establishing early dominance.

CrankShaftedAgai

10-16-2013

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks! Because of this thread, I tried Urgot in Dom and absolutely loved it, this guy gets a bad rep for no reason, he's literally a ranged tanky bruiser who epitomizes the "Anti-ADC" role.

50mm3r

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotTantram View Post
I prefer the cooldown reduction and tankiness that are associated with gauntlets.
Or the massive amount of mana that boosts your muramana damage and allows you to spam for days

I prefer FH though

Chronogen

10-16-2013

Since Riot does not feel like replying to my Urgot threads, I thought I might as well just paste this hunk on here. By the way, I suggest you not by an IE on him since you won't be building attack speed. The crit is wasted and mercurial scimitar is better suited on him. Other than that I would also recommend buying a last whisper on top of your black cleaver to increase his kiting potential against CC tank meta. Enjoy reading!

Urgot is a handicapped champion.

"I don't even know where to begin..." -Walter White 'Breaking Bad'

Patch 2012-08-01

Acid Hunter
Damage adjusted back to 10/40/70/100/130 (+0.85 total Attack Damage) from 50/80/110/140/170 (+1.2 bonus Attack Damage)

Urgot. A surprisingly fun champion to play. Can do good damage if he is fed. He is a champion that is in a bad spot as a result of his constant nerfing upon release. Urgot, I believe should be buffed. He deserves to have a menacing lane phase, while getting a mediocre late-game. This happens because his single target acid hunters eventually become obsolete later in the game as compared to the multi-target spells of other champions. If Urgot was balanced, he would have a menacing lane phase like Pantheon, and fall off slightly late game. That's the way he's designed, and he would be a damn fun champion to play if balanced. Let's take a look at his weaknesses and how they can be fixed. Problems are listed with regards to priority.

No escape mechanism. Low mobility makes him an already niche pick in this "mobility meta".

AP scaling shield. Compare this to Diana and Riven who have full scaling shields.

No sustain. Does not solely depend on lifesteal and spellvamp. He depends on both, consequently diminishing the value of both.

Easily countered by armor. If you get armor penetration runes, your farming will be horrendous. Compare this to champions like Renekton and Zed who can farm an entire wave early on with the press of a button.

Very short auto-attack range. Puts himself in jeopardy as marksman as he makes himself vulnerable to counter attack.

Difficult, time consuming champion to play, with no bonus reward for success. Landing acid hunters should grant rewards like Nids spear. After all, you landing a skillshot, not clicking on champions. You would think that playing a difficult champions had rewards.

Urgot simply has a clumsy ultimate with no damage, contradicting his whole "killing" theme. Give him an ultimate that compliments his kiting. I would like to see something like a Hydrofluoric acid explosion for his Ultimate. (got the idea from Breaking Bad from when they're dissolving the bodies. I am normal, I swear.)

He does not excel in any lane. Take him top, get outclassed by top laners with built in dashes. His low range doesn't give enough of poking room. Bot lane bruiser is what he's good at, and it is here when you have a tryndamere or Yi jungle, you can provide additional tankyness around a melee carry.

Let's talk in terms of balance. Urgot deserves to have his damage back in order to compensate for his lack of a mobility kit. Take traditional adc's for example. They usually have a built-in escape mechanism. This is a free get out of jail free card. Poor Urgot has to keep eyes on mini-map and pray he doesn't get ganked. Completely unfair that he doesn't greater damage to make up for not having a 10-second cool-down dash.

Urgot is suffering from Hybridism. His ap shield completely contradicts his purpose. He needs a strong shield in order to compensate for his lackluster kit. It is completely unfair that other champions have full scaling shields. This gives them an unfair advantage as they can make more out of their items. Had their been a decent ad/ap item suited for urgot, this would not be a problem.

In terms of items, manamune was hit hard after Jayce suddenly became broken. Yet Riot decided to nerf the essential item for champions like Urgot and Yorick. Now it takes longer to charge up, making Urgot even more handicapped. Blend in armor penetration and mana to make an item Urgot can make use of.

Tl;dr: Urgot is underpowered. Champions like Urgot, with no escape or mobility, need to be compensated accordingly with better ratios and kits. He is in dire need of a buff to become viable once more. He is designed to have a strong laning phase with a kit like his own. His single target acid hunters will eventually become obsolete later in the game as compared to the multi-target spells of other champions.

studDUGY

10-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronogen View Post
Since Riot does not feel like replying to my Urgot threads, I thought I might as well just paste this hunk on here. By the way, I suggest you not by an IE on him since you won't be building attack speed. The crit is wasted and mercurial scimitar is better suited on him. Other than that I would also recommend buying a last whisper on top of your black cleaver to increase his kiting potential against CC tank meta. Enjoy reading!

Urgot is a handicapped champion.

"I don't even know where to begin..." -Walter White 'Breaking Bad'

Patch 2012-08-01

Acid Hunter
Damage adjusted back to 10/40/70/100/130 (+0.85 total Attack Damage) from 50/80/110/140/170 (+1.2 bonus Attack Damage)

Urgot. A surprisingly fun champion to play. Can do good damage if he is fed. He is a champion that is in a bad spot as a result of his constant nerfing upon release. Urgot, I believe should be buffed. He deserves to have a menacing lane phase, while getting a mediocre late-game. This happens because his single target acid hunters eventually become obsolete later in the game as compared to the multi-target spells of other champions. If Urgot was balanced, he would have a menacing lane phase like Pantheon, and fall off slightly late game. That's the way he's designed, and he would be a damn fun champion to play if balanced. Let's take a look at his weaknesses and how they can be fixed. Problems are listed with regards to priority.

No escape mechanism. Low mobility makes him an already niche pick in this "mobility meta".

AP scaling shield. Compare this to Diana and Riven who have full scaling shields.

No sustain. Does not solely depend on lifesteal and spellvamp. He depends on both, consequently diminishing the value of both.

Easily countered by armor. If you get armor penetration runes, your farming will be horrendous. Compare this to champions like Renekton and Zed who can farm an entire wave early on with the press of a button.

Very short auto-attack range. Puts himself in jeopardy as marksman as he makes himself vulnerable to counter attack.

Difficult, time consuming champion to play, with no bonus reward for success. Landing acid hunters should grant rewards like Nids spear. After all, you landing a skillshot, not clicking on champions. You would think that playing a difficult champions had rewards.

Urgot simply has a clumsy ultimate with no damage, contradicting his whole "killing" theme. Give him an ultimate that compliments his kiting. I would like to see something like Hydrofluoric acid explosion for his Ultimate. (got the idea from Breaking Bad from when they're dissolving the bodies. I am normal, I swear.)

He does not excel in any lane. Take him top, get outclassed by top laners with built in dashes. His low range doesn't give enough of poking room. Bot lane bruiser is what he's good at, and it is here when you have a tryndamere or Yi jungle, you can provide additional tankyness around a melee carry.

Let's talk in terms of balance. Urgot deserves to have his damage back in order to compensate for his lack of a mobility kit. Take traditional adc's for example. They usually have a built-in escape mechanism. This is get out of jail free card. Poor Urgot has to keep eyes on mini-map and pray he doesn't get ganked.

Urgot is suffering from Hybridism. His ap shield completely contradicts his purpose. He needs a strong shield in order to compensate for his lackluster kit. It is completely unfair that other champions have full scaling shields. This gives them an unfair advantage as they can make more out of their items. Had their been a decent ad/ap item suited for urgot, this would not be a problem.

In terms of items, manamune was hit hard after Jayce suddenly became broken. Yet Riot decided to nerf the essential item for champions like Urgot and Yorick. Now it takes longer to charge up, making Urgot even more handicapped. Blend in armor penetration and mana to make an item Urgot can make use of.

Tl;dr: Urgot is underpowered. Champions like Urgot, with no escape or mobility, need to be compensated accordingly with better ratios and kits. He is in dire need of a buff to become viable once more. He is designed to have a strong laning phase with a kit like his own. His single target acid hunters will eventually become obsolete later in the game as compared to the multi-target spells of other champions.
Very well said. Pretty much pinned down every weakness of Urgot.

Chronogen

10-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by studDUGY View Post
Very well said. Pretty much pinned down every weakness of Urgot.
Thank you. It's what happens when you play him in 200 ranked games. You start learning why he isn't viable against the 50 or so strong champions at the moment.