Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

elrobbo6

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2013

I love this idea and my friends and I thought of this idea quite a while ago. One option that might be nice is the option to see what team comps are being looked for by the team leaders. Because I might not be even thinking of playing a crazy comp but if there is some way to see what types of games people are currently looking for that might encourage people to try new things. If they know there is a team comp currently looking for a game, that looks like a Naut top will fit into, they would be much more likely to try it then if they are not sure of what people are looking for an don't want to queue for Naut top blindly and be waiting for an hour for a game.

InfamousMustache

10-17-2013

I feel like allowing the player to choose a champion beforehand is a mistake. I think that letting the player choose their role and purpose is good and all, but letting them choose a champion lets the leaders pick only high tier champions, based on the champion, not to mention if there were ever to be a draft pick, you wouldn't be able to pick the champion you chose for MM if it was banned. I'm pretty sure a large majority of players play draft pick due to not wanting to play with certain champions. Say I wanted to play Teemo mid, but everyone keeps choosing the Ahri's in queue, I'd never have a chance of playing because they want an Ahri and not a Teemo. I feel leaving the champion select until in a team to be the best bet, because then you are chosen for the lane and role you want to play, and not forced to endure champion bias based on the champion itself.

KakitaMike

10-17-2013

Is there any way to signify if you want the lane to yourself or not?

For instance, let's say someone sets up a game where they are looking for 5 mages mid. I enter team builder looking to play lux mage mid. As I understand, I'm probably eligible for that game, even if my intention was picking a lane that I would have to myself.

Similarly for someone that queues as a marksman bottom, only to find they entered a game that set up two marksman bottom.

Or should a player go into team builder with the assumption that they will get to play the role and lane they want, but everything else is up in the air?

Zyorhist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2013

I have been looking forward to this feature for quite some time now and am enthusiastic about it coming, but something about it doesn't feel like LoL. Perhaps its because there is no champ select, or maybe its because the champ is preselected before queing up, but something doesn't feel right about it. I know you guys are planning on doing work with this but honestly you should tinker with allowing people to que for Role/Lane and then go to champ select.

Sagee Prime

10-17-2013

So Lyte did you or your team ever consider something like what me and many others have posted? This would be something geared more towards draft pick than bind pick but it would work in both.

Give visual queues in champion select using color and shape or emblem based symbols to represent positions like top, bot, mid, or wildcard(Jungle). Rework your champions tab in your summoners profile into a management tab for you to select what positions you are good at, what champions you are good at using in those positions, and to choose what 3 champions will show up for your teammates as your top performing champions(they'd have to meet specific criteria to be an option)

In addition to this allow us to make custom champions groups so we can easily cycle through lists of champions we are good at and sort them into the positions and roles we play them in. Its a long read but I think its worth the read and I made some pictures. I haven't had much time to really improve upon my original post so it is dense and the pictures don't fully show what I'm trying to convey but as a concept it should do the job just fine.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3373302

7hreshprince

10-17-2013

From what I have seen of all the red responses this system sounds like a very interesting concept and I look forward to using it. The biggest thing I've seen a lot of people requesting so far has been the option to que multiple champions in one que. I know Lyte has expressed the concern that if one person has 3 champions they might say oh, well I like champion two so that is the one I'll let them play. A simple solution to this would be to allow the system to only show the player as one champion at a time, and they can accept or deny it based off of that.

*Example*
Player One ques for Cassiopia, Victor, Ahri mid *most people would agree Ahri is the *better* pick
Captain A gets a hit for mid, sees player ones Cassiopia, decides he hates Cassiopia mid, declines it
System says searching but still has Player One set in as an option for this game
Captain A gets a hit for mid, sees Player Ones Victor, decide okay, Victor would be fine
Player One is now in the game lobby for Captain A

This general concept could allow for players to que up to 3 (I think that would be a good max to prevent abuse/trolling) champions that they might be happy to play in that one role (A single role might be a good idea to allow for easier matchmaking). At the same time it would prevent a Team Captain from selecting what they consider to be the Flavor of the Month over what a person might want to play. I would imagine making it so that the select option say something along of first pick, second and third when your queing would be a good option, that way the first one is always the one a Captain sees first.

Thank you for all the work you guys at Riot do!

Sir ArmaMalum

10-17-2013

You guys are trying to slay the pre-champ select beast, I tip my hat to you fine people.

I am worried about the inability to switch champs after the team is assembled however. I'm one of those people that calls "fill" and I try to synergize as much as possible with the comp I'm with. Most of the time I start que without a specific champion or even role in mind, I just want to play a game with people and hopefully win . I'm sure you guys are running these ideas through but I know I'm not the only one with this mindset.

As a possible idea, what about the team leader having the option to "toggle" other team members' ability to switch champs? i.e. I come in as thresh support, but the comp looks like it'll benefit more with a Janna. I can ask the team leader real quick to allow me to switch, he clicks a button and I have the ability to switch to whoever. If necessary, there could be another layer to "veto" a switch. Like if I picked Jax instead of Janna, the team leader could say no and I'd get knocked back to Thresh.

Apologies if these concerns or ideas were stated already, too many replies to doublecheck....

Good luck guys!

Siyanor

10-17-2013

On the "Roam" role-- I don't think there's really a necessity for it as far as the Team Builder is concerned, since you could easily just use the Jungle position and communicate that you're roaming, not jungling (which would be aided by not running Smite). A Team Leader that wants a Roamer would likely have 2 Jungle slots available. Remember Jungle isn't a role in Team Builder, it's a position.

Frinall

10-17-2013

@Sir ArmaMalum, I feel the exact same way! I am usually happy playing any role, so long as the result is a cohesive team. I mean, I'll take the opportunity to queue up for a champion in a very specific role from time to time, but I would much rather queue up and say "I'll play top, jungle, or adc, whichever the team needs!" The idea of picking champs ahead of time is kind of defeatist, especially as someone who often plays support, and will tailor the pick to the ADC I get paired with. I feel like this system is unnecessarily limiting to people who want to cooperate, something the system seems to encourage in nearly every other facet.

SauronZ

10-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglestomp View Post
I don't think hemer mid is raged at because he's hemer mid....

I think he's raged at because 2-3 other people qued with the intention of typing "mid" as fast as possible.

If your planning to go ahri or zed and someone picks hemer... Well hemer is more likely to get raged at.

But if you have every player calling top ADC jungle support ... No one wants mid but hemer... Well then the team probably doesn't care.
This is just not true in my server. Heimer gets raged at for being Heimer. Even if noone else wanted mid (although I think he's much better at top lane).