Does anyone else think it's kind of a bummer that both of Zyra's skins are 1350 rp?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Timid Gengar

10-16-2013

So basically when Heim gets a new skin it's going to be 1350 because his turrets take more work

Shiralune

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Quick, straight from the mouth of our Lead Character Artist:

"Zyra is probably the most work-intensive and challenging champion to make skins for."

Now, back to me.

Zyra is.. no pun intended on the new Harrowing skin for her.. a nightmare to make skins for. Every single plant, vine, spell, etc, is a new particle, which in and of itself is a new model, with new animations. That's.. what.. like 5 models with 5 animation sets/effect on them at least? I'm not sure how many assets are in her file.

We have a pile of concepts sitting around for Zyra, there are also great community skin ideas, but they area daunting task to be made.

I'm not a pricing guy at all but I will speak for Art when it comes to how intensive a skin is to make. Other characters which constitute big challenges are champions with different states, transformations, etc. So, Udyr, Swain, Shyvanna, etc, are basically two champions in one. If we want to make the transformation, or other states be a different animal, or creature or whatever, we have to model that, animate it, do a VFX pass, all that.

VFX alone has had huge scope creep in the recent years because now instead of just being a static effect, we have huge animations coupled with whatever the effect might be, whether it's a spell like Zyra's orbs, or animating spirit models like SG Udyr.

I'm not belittling the issue of price, but I do want to provide a peek into what sort of production goes into skins like these. It's basically a Legendary skin amount of work.

Hope that clarifies things.

Side note: I'm sort of transitioning away from the old forums here in GD, and am becoming more active on the community beta site. I probably won't be back into this thread to follow up or answer questions, so if you'd like to discuss subjects like this, make your way over to http://community.na.leagueoflegends.com/ and transition the conversation.

Thanks!

But Runeguard Volibear, that must've taken so much work to be worth 975 rp.

Also, is Riot just shutting the doors now? I read the last line as "I, one of the more community active rioters, am stepping off."

Tetroneaque

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2013

Here's the thing. As a champion those are all parts of her kit no matter what so they need new effects for each skin no matter what. We as customers don't see how much work it is, we just see the price and most that would buy it at a normal 975 RP price see that 1350 and are all "Screw that expensive skin, I'll wait till it's on sale or just do without."

Pricing ALL of Zyra's non base skins at the 1350 RP, just like Kha'zix apparently, will just make sure that no one ever buys those skins at full price.

Henry Plainview

10-16-2013

Quote:
I probably won't be back into this thread to follow up or answer questions, so if you'd like to discuss subjects like this, make your way over to http://community.na.leagueoflegends.com/ and transition the conversation.
No, I will not follow you to le reddit.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-16-2013
3 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvan Krislov View Post
no one likes that site. We are just getting use to the NEW forums. Don't leave us, parrot! <3
And I say I won't be checking this thread anymore..

Sorry, it's become hard to mitigate some of the negative feedback to address questions about process and whatnot. On the beta site I can more easily see which questions rise to the top. I can only go through so many pages in one day. It's easier to have people upvote the question/comment, have it rise to the top, and answer it when it has some momentum. Just an easier way to give as much info as I can in relation to a question a lot of people would like to see addressed.

Kyrrion

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftsLikeGaston View Post
"Zyra makes me have to actually do my job" is what I read this as.
"I'm an ignorant, self-entitled ***" is what I read this as.

You had a red post flat out explain and say "New Zyra skins of good quality require as much work as a legendary" and you're going to sit there and tell him it's not good enough?

Xyrne

10-16-2013

Quote:
Boom
I don't get why this is downvoted. They've said before that champs with multiple models take a lot of work. And Zyra has like 4 models.

Plus I'm assuming the skin will be 975 for the first week like all 1350s.

LiftsLikeGaston

10-16-2013

Quote:
And I say I won't be checking this thread anymore..

Sorry, it's become hard to mitigate some of the negative feedback to address questions about process and whatnot. On the beta site I can more easily see which questions rise to the top. I can only go through so many pages in one day. It's easier to have people upvote the question/comment, have it rise to the top, and answer it when it has some momentum. Just an easier way to give as much info as I can in relation to a question a lot of people would like to see addressed.
So basically you want to avoid any negativity at all because you're way too sensitive. Sorry, but this new Zyra skin shouldn't be 1350. None of the Harrowing skins should ever be that price. It's a special event, the skins should always be higher quality but at the normal price, kinda like a gift to your players. But with Riot's recent track record, not surprised they only care about profit now.

IS12ddd40dec8052e003680

10-16-2013

Quote:
Ah, this attitude.. Thanks for giving me one more reason to transition off of GD.
With no offense to you, your skin/art team - and I know this may seem or be completely off topic - thanks for making me want to keep my money in my pocket, what with making 'nightmare' Zyra skins instead of ohhh....

Dragon Swain and Unprepared Garen.

Surakai

10-16-2013

1/4 the price of an entire game for one skin that doesn't even look that great (both zyra and many more).

yup, keep trying to defend it.