Does anyone else think it's kind of a bummer that both of Zyra's skins are 1350 rp?

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 31
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OverpoweredSoap

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaFatum View Post
Pretty much the reason why I won't own a Zyra skin, again. Then again who am I kidding? This is the same people who still say Pink Taric is worth 975 and FB Irelia 1350. I don't criticize Riot on a lot of things but that is one thing I find consistently ridiculous on their part.
I completely forgot about that.

.-.

milktree

10-16-2013

Okay I need to know, what EXACTLY takes long about Zyra's plants to the point that they said its like creating 2 different champions? They're ****ing plants???? I mean they're basically closed sunflowers that have the most basic auto attacks. They look like they literally take maybe an hour to do. Is it just me or i find the "but the plants r 2 hard QQQQQQQQ" thing ridiculous?

edit: I feel like if they're going to say that about zyra, it should be the same case with elise because for every skin theyre going to have to make her spiders look different.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-16-2013
1 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprachiasmatic View Post
I am actually fine with it. Zyra skins do take a lot of work...just look at the pbe boards ..her new skin is causing bug splats .. wildfire causes older comps to lag..Creating a Zyra skin is quite an undertaking, so it would seem..
Quick, straight from the mouth of our Lead Character Artist:

"Zyra is probably the most work-intensive and challenging champion to make skins for."

Now, back to me.

Zyra is.. no pun intended on the new Harrowing skin for her.. a nightmare to make skins for. Every single plant, vine, spell, etc, is a new particle, which in and of itself is a new model, with new animations. That's.. what.. like 5 models with 5 animation sets/effect on them at least? I'm not sure how many assets are in her file.

We have a pile of concepts sitting around for Zyra, there are also great community skin ideas, but they area daunting task to be made.

I'm not a pricing guy at all but I will speak for Art when it comes to how intensive a skin is to make. Other characters which constitute big challenges are champions with different states, transformations, etc. So, Udyr, Swain, Shyvanna, etc, are basically two champions in one. If we want to make the transformation, or other states be a different animal, or creature or whatever, we have to model that, animate it, do a VFX pass, all that.

VFX alone has had huge scope creep in the recent years because now instead of just being a static effect, we have huge animations coupled with whatever the effect might be, whether it's a spell like Zyra's orbs, or animating spirit models like SG Udyr.

I'm not belittling the issue of price, but I do want to provide a peek into what sort of production goes into skins like these. It's basically a Legendary skin amount of work.

Hope that clarifies things.

Side note: I'm sort of transitioning away from the old forums here in GD, and am becoming more active on the community beta site. I probably won't be back into this thread to follow up or answer questions, so if you'd like to discuss subjects like this, make your way over to http://community.na.leagueoflegends.com/ and transition the conversation.

Thanks!

Sankkari

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
snip
I shudder to think of the animation work that'd go into Rumble's model.

PoppaMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2013

Quote:

"Zyra is probably the most work-intensive and challenging champion to make skins for."

Now, back to me.

Zyra is.. no pun intended on the new Harrowing skin for her.. a nightmare to make skins for. Every single plant, vine, spell, etc, is a new particle, which in and of itself is a new model, with new animations. That's.. what.. like 5 models with 5 animation sets/effect on them at least? I'm not sure how many assets are in her file.

We have a pile of concepts sitting around for Zyra, there are also great community skin ideas, but they area daunting task to be made.

I'm not a pricing guy at all but I will speak for Art when it comes to how intensive a skin is to make. Other characters which constitute big challenges are champions with different states, transformations, etc. So, Udyr, Swain, Shyvanna, etc, are basically two champions in one. If we want to make the transformation, or other states be a different animal, or creature or whatever, we have to model that, animate it, do a VFX pass, all that.

VFX alone has had huge scope creep in the recent years because now instead of just being a static effect, we have huge animations coupled with whatever the effect might be, whether it's a spell like Zyra's orbs, or animating spirit models like SG Udyr.

I'm not belittling the issue of price, but I do want to provide a peek into what sort of production goes into skins like these. It's basically a Legendary skin amount of work.

Side note: I'm sort of transitioning away from the old forums here in GD, and am becoming more active on the community beta site. I probably won't be back into this thread to follow up or answer questions, so if you'd like to discuss subjects like this, make your way over to http://community.na.leagueoflegends.com/ and transition the conversation.

Thanks!
So instead of you know... making more skins and leaving Zyra for another time you guys get lazy with your billion dollar company and take the easy way out of doing the "hardest" thing and whining about it

LiftsLikeGaston

10-16-2013

Quote:

Now, back to me.

Thanks!
"Zyra makes me have to actually do my job" is what I read this as.

Edit: To add a bit to this, I'd be fine with the 1350 price point for this skin if it deserved it. As it is, the skin is very "meh" compared to most other 1350 skins, the customer shouldn't be punished by having to pay more for a mediocre skin just because Riot had to put more work into it. We should have to pay for the quality of the skin.

Dynasty Ahri

10-16-2013

Does it say its 1350? I don't see the price listed. I might just be blind.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-16-2013
2 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftsLikeGaston View Post
"Zyra makes me have to actually do my job" is what I read this as.
Ah, this attitude.. Thanks for giving me one more reason to transition off of GD.

Jarvan Krislov

10-16-2013

Quote:

Thanks!
no one likes that site. We are just getting use to the NEW forums. Don't leave us, parrot! <3

Eyrgos

10-16-2013

Quote:
Thanks!
Hey Parrot<3, have you been to my "@IronStylus, a Quinn skin you're going to want to see" thread yet? I think people would love if you popped in really fast.

On-Topic: I'm okay with Zyra's skins being expensive.

12345612 ... 31