Who started calling them "marksmen"?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Guttler

10-16-2013

Teemo is flagged as a marksmen first and foremost.

Any plans to buff/rework him so that he could actually compete bot lane while building the regular marksmen items?

Morello

Lead Designer

10-16-2013
5 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashinshin View Post
If ADCs can become Marksmen which is two words mashed together Deutsch style then can fighters become "Badasses"? Same scheme.

Also Marksman is the only defining term that can't be pluralized with an S.
Technically under this rule, then yes!

Godskore

10-16-2013

@Morello
@Morello

can you please give us a hint on the upcoming champion? (#117) since the champ releases are so long, atleast giving us hints would be nice

Gentleman Thief

10-16-2013

If you think about it, it's a better name for them these days. Zed, for example, builds AD and can carry a game in the right hands, but he's not the kind of champion that most people are talking about when they say "AD Carry."

Happy Firetrucks

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
For UX and visual design, you don't want multiple words (Ranged Carry, Ranged Attacker, etc). For players who don't know these conventions (IE no one in this conversation!), implying that only the ADC can "carry" is more a misnomer than the name. Carry is a verb first, so we thought we'd use it that way.
Marksman is a bit of a misnomer too - in reality, that doesn't hold up when you're a few feet away.
The term is pretty much exclusively used for snipers (or long range champions), which may cause new players to think that everyone with that term plays like Caitlyn.
It also doesn't factor in AD or AP at all.

I don't know anything about the restrictions of UX and such, but if new players are so important, shouldn't far more be given to them, including, of course, detailed explanations about champions' intended roles?
Or... a duck champion?

Name:  d3.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  16.6 KB

Regina George

10-16-2013

Quote:
Innervating Locket!

*Runs*
You better!

*ghosts*

hashinshin

10-16-2013

Quote:
Technically under this rule, then yes!
I eagerly await my opponents saying "watch out, looks like we've got a badass over here!"

... more.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-16-2013
6 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Firetrucks View Post
Marksman is a bit of a misnomer too - in reality, that doesn't hold up when you're a few feet away.
The term is pretty much exclusively used for snipers (or long range champions), which may cause new players to think that everyone plays like Caitlyn.
It also doesn't factor in AD or AP at all.

I don't know anything about the restrictions of UX and such, but if new players are so important, shouldn't far more be given to them, including, of course, detailed explanations about champions' intended roles?
Or... a duck champion?
More work to do for sure, but we had to do this defining of terms for team builder and some website updates. Adding a lot of new-player help is something we want to do, but not comparable bodies of work

Happy Firetrucks

10-16-2013

Quote:
More work to do for sure, but we had to do this defining of terms for team builder and some website updates. Adding a lot of new-player help is something we want to do, but not comparable bodies of work
How could it not be?
In order to assess that you cannot compare two things, you must first compare them to assess that you cannot compare them!

Lies and fried squirrel nachos!

Morello

Lead Designer

10-16-2013
7 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashinshin View Post
I eagerly await my opponents saying "watch out, looks like we've got a badass over here!"

... more.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png
Views:	349
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	802143