Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GreyWithAnE

10-16-2013

To all the Riot folks:

This is an absolutely fantastic idea -- one of the best things that could happen to the game. I couldn't me more excited to try it out and see how it continues to get even better as development continues. Thanks!

AaronChakra

10-16-2013

If they goes directly into a game what about champion bans??

NotSid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerensky287 View Post
I know it's been said multiple times that champion-swapping will not be enabled to avoid "Soraka Support NO LOL IM ACTUALLY RENEKTON" abuse. But, well... even in blindpick there are times when I want to adjust my champion to the team I'm with.

I'm a support main, and my best champion is Zyra. If I were to queue up for this (for a serious game), I'd generally go for that. But if I enter the game and my ADC is, say, Lucian, then I'd probably rather switch to Soraka. Or if it's Jinx, I think I'd rather have Lulu or Thresh. Or if it's Vayne, I'd rather have Leona... and so forth.

Because it's impossible to know what your team will be playing, and because some supports have SO MUCH more synergy than others with a given champion, the ambiguity of queueing up for this would bother me greatly. Is there any chance a system like a mini-roster could be implemented, to give a player the option of searching for a game as "Bot Lane, Support, Zyra/Leona/Thresh"? It would make it easier to spot the abusers, because they'd be like "Bot Lane, Support, Sona/Janna/Master Yi".

That said, I loooove this idea and I'm really looking forward to queueing up and practicing my trademark Support Syndra without having to spend a full minute each game going "is this okay, is everyone okay with this, come on speak up, no complaints" and having someone say "no go leona" right after I lock in.

Team Builder is its own queue.

When it goes live, the menu will probably look like:

>PVP
>>Classic 5v5
>>>Normal Queue - Blind Pick
>>>Normal Queue - Draft Pick
>>>Ranked Queue - Solo/Duo
>>>Ranked Queue - 5v5 Team
>>>Normal Queue - Team Builder

And you can still play the original modes without having this new system forced on you, at least initially. I can see it eventually being adapted into mainline play after a few iterations but they'll make sure it's an improvement in as many areas as possible before they do.
It still doesn't make sense to me right now. It sounds like you go in with 1 champion and 1 role in mind, and that's it. It seems like it's intended to help strangers cooperate in a competitive environment. But, if it's unranked, then it's pointless. People don't care about cooperating in unranked queues, this is just a fact. If there's a separate ranked queue for this, then it still doesn't make sense if you can't use a draft pick setup to counter your enemies.

I would just like this part cleared up officially.

Mister Simple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSid View Post
It still doesn't make sense to me right now. It sounds like you go in with 1 champion and 1 role in mind, and that's it. It seems like it's intended to help strangers cooperate in a competitive environment. But, if it's unranked, then it's pointless. People don't care about cooperating in unranked queues, this is just a fact. If there's a separate ranked queue for this, then it still doesn't make sense if you can't use a draft pick setup to counter your enemies.

I would just like this part cleared up officially.
If they would like us to cooperate, they ought to add a voice chat. This is removing adaptability which is core to being a good player.

Etonio

10-16-2013

What if the champ you plan on playing is banned? Then wouldn't you have to play a champ your team wasn't expecting?

djump

Senior Recruiter

10-16-2013

So I gather from a few posts that there is no option to change/swap champion once on a team. Is this true?

I have a big complaint with this as you may often want to switch champions within the same role (say, still a fighter top, but choose a different one).

Could you allow leader approved champion changes?? Like it pops up similar to the normal queue champion swap request to the leader, just asking them to approve previous champ -> new champ. This way there is no abuse of switch from soraka->Renekton for lolz, but you still have the choice to make legit swaps at the leader's approval.

I feel this would be the most significant lacking feature. I often have a specific role and type of champ I want in mind, but I need to be able to switch champ slightly to compliment team.

Darth Melkor

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBurgermeister View Post
We truly hope you're gonna love it.
I've waited years for this feature... literally. I'm so excited for this to go live ASAP. I <3 you Riot.

P.S. Riot is the best game company in the world!

NotSid

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Simple View Post
If they would like us to cooperate, they ought to add a voice chat. This is removing adaptability which is core to being a good player.
Why add voice chat when 90% of the players will opt out of using it? Look at WoW's built-in voice chat system. Did anyone ever use it? Not after they found out what it was like when trying to use it. You get people speaking a different language, little kids, annoying people, people blasting music, all that nonsense. Just look at any successful PC game that has a built-in voice chat feature included. How many players use it? How many players specifically opt out of it?

Console games can get away with it because there's pretty much no other way to communicate, and the microphones for console headsets are a bit less sensitive than your standard PC mic so they don't pick up background noise as much.

TL;DR, it's not worth it to develop voice chat.

Olyver

10-16-2013

I think if someone is like trolling and picked lulu jungle I think the whole team can just kick that player out and wait for someone else to join. That would be awesome if we had that option.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lulu.png
Views:	27
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	802038  

Daryslash

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSid View Post
Why add voice chat when 90% of the players will opt out of using it? Look at WoW's built-in voice chat system. Did anyone ever use it? Not after they found out what it was like when trying to use it. You get people speaking a different language, little kids, annoying people, people blasting music, all that nonsense. Just look at any successful PC game that has a built-in voice chat feature included. How many players use it? How many players specifically opt out of it?

Console games can get away with it because there's pretty much no other way to communicate, and the microphones for console headsets are a bit less sensitive than your standard PC mic so they don't pick up background noise as much.

TL;DR, it's not worth it to develop voice chat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa9pxW4G4jQ