RiotTantram Best Urgot NA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

studDUGY

10-16-2013

I, too, am in the Urgot fan club. I find him incredibly fun to play. However, the more I play against good opponents, the less I see him viable against other ADC's. His basic attack range and damage are way too low in my opinion. Late game, Urgot becomes kind of useless since his damage output is nowhere close to another ADC like Vayne, and his ult doesn't have much use if you're playing him as a marksman and not tanky.

I'll try him in the jungle once, haven't tried that. I just believe that other ADC's like Jinx or Vayne are flat out better than Urgot, even when Urgot is played correctly. I don't know how the balance goes at Riot HQ, but if his Q could proc on hit effects and give his basic attack a better range/damage, Urgot would become once again a strong option for a marksman.

crzymdscntst

10-16-2013

Am I wrong for thinking Urgot makes an excellent support for ADCs?

I mean, he's got damage reduc, which enables winning trades.
He's got poke and slow.
He can lock down an opponent and place them within killing range with his ultimate.
And I'm fond of pairing that % Armor Reduc with a higher dps ADC.

studDUGY

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzymdscntst View Post
Am I wrong for thinking Urgot makes an excellent support for ADCs?

I mean, he's got damage reduc, which enables winning trades.
He's got poke and slow.
He can lock down an opponent and place them within killing range with his ultimate.
And I'm fond of pairing that % Armor Reduc with a higher dps ADC.
Urgot is really strong in the laning phase, so I can see him being a good support indeed. I guess if the jungler has a lot of CC like Amumu or Zac, you could make up for Urgot's lack of CC late game. I should try that once, good idea.

Bregan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2013

ever consider gunblade to get the spell vamp on q?
personally, i feel like you're dragging you're build down with iceborn. you'd get more damage with a solid ad item (bt, or something.) or even use that slot for attackspeed with a botrk. are the armor and slow really that key? i dont play urgot except in aram, so im not sure here. i do know that after muramana and black cleaver, everything else is gravy, so....

studDUGY

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregan View Post
personally, i feel like you're dragging you're build down with iceborn. you'd get more damage with a solid ad item (bt, or something.) or even use that slot for attackspeed with a botrk. are the armor and slow really that key? i dont play urgot except in aram, so im not sure here. i do know that after muramana and black cleaver, everything else is gravy, so....
I played Urgot quite often. I can tell you that if you play him as an ADC, your only damage dealer is his Q. His basic attack low range just puts him at risk and you will get killed immediately late game. That's why I believe, just like you, that Iceborn Gauntlet is a bad item on Urgot.

I've been trying to come up with builds for Urgot as ADC, but like you said, after Muramana, Black Cleaver, and perhaps Frozen Heart and Lucidity Boots, you really don't know what to buy. If you build him tanky, your team doesn't have enough damage late game but your ult becomes useful. If you build him damage, you become a target of choice and your ult becomes useless, but you deal some additional damage. But then again, compared to Ez/Cait/Vayne/Corki, Urgot's DPS late game is very low.

crzymdscntst

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregan View Post
I think it might be fun, but for some reason the AP scaling on his shield has always took something from Urgot I think. That is to say, Sheen and the like, or that is to say items with AP, but a focus on other stats, never seem to have the impact they should. (Gunblade in this case)

I somehow feel it could probably use some tweaks whenever I use him, but also I feel that it's in a certain flimsy state of balance/power, where small tweaks might potentially break it.

Mostly though, the AP scaling on Gunblade and it's active seem to detract from the idea as a whole. (cost/slot efficiency)

RiotTantram

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Software Engineer

10-16-2013
10 of 11 Riot Posts

I agree that iceborn gauntlets might not be right for everyone. They fit my playstyle pretty well though. Between the gloves and Urgot's passive, he is an unbeatable dualist. That, coupled with his ultimate, he can easily catch someone out and drop them early in a teamfight. Because you're constantly spamming Q, you always have the sheen proc up.

RoIia

10-16-2013

As urgot threads don't usually show up on these boards, I'd like to put my input on what I build/use/etc as an urgot player myself.

So on urgot I like to run ArP reds/quints, Armour yellows, and CDR blues. I also run 21/9 is most matchups and then 17/13 against heavy auto harass matchups (I.E. Caitlyn). Now you might be thinking that having no mana regen hurts me a lot, well I disagree. When I go to lane, I don't expect to be able to 100-0 anyone until at least tear/brut. Once I get tear though, I'm actually able to sustain plenty of mana to harass a lot eaiser and then apply pressure to my opposition. When you get tear, you hardly notice anymore mana problems ever happening unless you literally just spam q every time its up, which isn't what you normally would want to do. Your job as an urgot player is to survive the rough early game he has and pre tear phase he has, that doesn't last long though. Once your about level 3-4 you should have 700g right then, and that's when you instantly call your jungler to come take your farm and you need to back to get tear. Once that's accomplished, your then able to harass safer and stack tear quickly. This timing allows tear/manamune (depending on when you reach 1400g after tear) will normally turn ino muramana about 21-25 mins. Mana problems are gone now.

Now with that said, CDR blues are EXTREMELY important.i take the 4% cdr from the offensive tree and 7.5% cdr from the blues in my rune. That's already 11% CDR at level 1, meaning your able to stack tear MUCH faster as well as once you get brutalizer, you can now start doing 4 q's per e/q combo. The threshold for urgots E/q combo is 17.5% allows you to land 4 q's from 3 with e on them, and 37.5% allows 5 q'w from 4 with e on them. With the cdr blues, this allows me to actually build ninja tabis, which I believe is the best pair of boots for him (along with Mercs for ap comps) because as champion that has an ult that puts him in a 4v1 situation if you initiate like that, your gna have a bad time if your not tanky, that's why I also go 9 in defense just for that little bit of extra cusion when I lane and initiate.

My build goes as followed, but varies often depending on the ingame situation and comps, etc. I like to build (not in this order, ill explain how I do my build order after I reveal my build,) I start dorans blade into Ninja tabi/Manamune(Muramana)/BC/LW/Frozen Heart/Maw or BT (depenind if your in the role of more damage or primary initiater). So like I said in my first statement, I like to get tear ASAP. As soon as I hit 700 I try to shove ASAP or call for jungler to take farm, so I can immediately get that tear stacking, your strongest point is your midgame, and when your able to finish muramana with the addition of an Armour bypassing item (LW/BC), well, lets just say a malphite going to cry... If you take a look at my thread I did here http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...&highlight=arp I actually got to find out, with all the ArP I was able to obtain from items/masteries/runes, and after many hours of researching and calculating certain scenarios and this particular math over and over, I was able to determine that with e on my target, I am able to have as much as 74% armour bypass on a target, meaning with as much Armour penetration and reduction I was able to obtain, 74% of that armour they had meant nothing, making me practically doing true dmg to any squishier target. So with that said, after I am able to finish tear, I want manamune as soon as 1400g, then I want to actually get brut into BC if possible, meaning if I'm not to far behind or if I'm ahead. BC is the best spike in damage along with muramana when its finished. Also with BC im able to be past the 17.5% threshold for 4 q's with e. IF your behind, you have no choice but to go glacial into LW. If im ahead though, I want a glacial and hexdrinker after I finish BC to go along with the team fight phase for when I use my ult to initiate, then I want to get a LW , then finish Frozen heart and finally Maw. At the end, I end up with around 370 to 390 AD, making my q's roughly 450dmg per 1.2 sec at 40% cdr before resistances, WITHOUT muramana even being proced (which with muraman you add rougly 150-160 dmg to those q's, along with my e dot just ticken their health away. That's nothing to scoff at.

My intended way of playing urgot is playing the role of a priority pick initiator, OR the heavy damage poke from e/q poke. This build allows me to do both really solidly because if Im able to land my e, I can nearly 3 shot most squisher targets (I.E. ADC or AP and even the support), which already allows my team to have a very good advantage, not to mention if I initiate with the ult, I have a better chance of surviving longer and/or getting out with this build more than the person I just ulted, IF my team follows up correctly. This build also allows me to be able to do dueling EXTREMELY well and allows me to be able to split push if I wanted too because Im tanky as well as do lots of dmg for most people to be able to 1v1 me, assumeing I land my e. I don't believe urgot is made for his auto attacks, so I don't like to build him around autoing, meaning I don't like crit on him or AS because those are stats made for auto attacking or on hit effect, either of which (I believe) urgot doesn't reliably do effectively.

Anyway, it was fun for me to share my opinion on urgot and I by no means believe what I do is the best, but I strongly feel its a strong way to build and play and I hope I maybe could help some veteran urgot players or aspiring urgot players with my point of view!

EDIT: Here are my 21/9 and 17/13 pages as well as my rune page for those interested in looking.

http://mullinator.com/tools/masteries/MbUvSlqTvUaTvEd 21/9
http://mullinator.com/tools/masteries/MbUvSvq7KUaTPUrd 17/3
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/32379986#runes Page 5 is my urgot page

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention what summoners I take, which is Barrier/Flash most of the time. Ignite is the only other spell I go for if I feel I don't need barrier against their team.

Ginga

10-16-2013

Urgot isn't something I'd play in solo queue...like...EVER.

I tried before, and the worst possible scenarios always happened. There's nothing like making a perfect initiation after pinging 30 ****ing times only to watch as your entire party run around in circles like headless chickens wondering they should follow up on my initiation or run away because I brought the enemy ADC to them in a silver platter...and then I myself getting killed because I was left alone to tank the enemy team for ~8 seconds...because my team decided I wasn't initiating with my R...

Yeah I've had bad experience with Urgot...or initiators as a whole in solo queue.

Solan Stonewhip

10-16-2013

quick question then.

since you're right and his q procs sheen. why build gauntlets instead of triforce?