Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MelloRed

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeez View Post
I understand what you are getting at with using champs unconventionally in other roles but what makes this so much better you find a team that can build around your picks and have a mutual agreement before going into a game. You're not being forced into meta but everyone's goal is to WIN. You win by playing OPTIMALLY. Those unconventional picks can work when given a chance to discuss what is viable with who picks what to perfectly synergize with one another. If you're one of those guys that instalocks soraka top all day then keep playing blind pick because this team building mode is not for you.
On the contrary.

Soraka/Mage/Top is EXACTLY what this mode is designed for. You'll only get into groups who want a mage/top (or any/top), and will take soraka. And if there's more then 1 top, you can leave and fine another group.

dem0n123

10-16-2013

so can i go into this que and click a yolo button that will pretty much say ill play any role with any champ?

Jikker

10-16-2013

While this all sounds great in theory, I worry that it will devolve to nothing but confusion, longer wait times, and troll heaven.

What's to stop a team from kicking people for no reason just to troll? Or to have their queue set for an odd position only to have the person that's been waiting for that show up, get laughed at, and they all leave? And what if you queue up for a position expecting a common meta and get something crazy (i.e. I queue up for my typical Ezreal - bot - ADC and get matched with a four mid composition? I didn't ask for that I asked for a nice "normal game"!) What about less played champions; how long do you think an Urgot is going to sit waiting for someone to ask for an Urgot player?

And I don't care that "15% of people are willing to play support". Do you know how often (over a few dif accounts of mine) I have to play support simply because I'm one of those nice 5%? I have seen it called maybe three or four times out of one hundred games and then they usually aren't even good but looking for a free ride. All I see with this is longer queue times, more troll comps, and less strong teams because frankly you are still paired with a load of strangers and you never know when that leader is really a troll queuing up to make your life miserable simply because you believe that AP mid Janna is viable.

I'd really feel better and more at ease about this new system if some of this was addressed. Thanks for listening to my concerns

MelloRed

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS10b7594d5796f4c69d91e View Post
I haven't read through it all since it's simply too much to read, so this may have been asked before.

What about banning in ranked que then? It seems like that must be removed, or will the team ban 3 champs and the system will then avoid matching up teams with overlapping ban vs pick.

If the banning will be removed, then normal que can't meet "premade" teams? If so, then the trade between the modes is that you have a "safe" pick phase w.r.t. that you know that people agree on roles vs the ability to counterpick and banning out annoying champs but risk that you end up with someone going total WTF-mode in your champ-select.

How will it work with MMR? Will the value of a win be reduced since you have a premade strategy which everyone agrees upon? Or can a player who is really good at a certain champion and only ques with that one get up in ranked at the same speed as another person queing up for ranked in the normal way and will risk having to play all sorts of roles and champions?
It's not in ranked, or even solo queue. It's a new queue all together.

Though pre-picking bans would work just fine. You simply don't get matched against teams with those champs.

It's a new queue. New MMR. And it seems likely they will adjust MMR based on meta. So you could be diamond support, and silver marksman. Or diamond cho-goth, but gold corki.

MelloRed

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem0n123 View Post
so can i go into this que and click a yolo button that will pretty much say ill play any role with any champ?
No. That already exsist as solo queue.

dem0n123

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloRed View Post
No. That already exsist as solo queue.
but this may replace soloque depending on what happens. I am willing to play any champion in this game outside of ranked and some day im in a good mood and could care less, or i just cant decide with the 100+ champs.

Potato Chip

10-16-2013

I hope they still keep the current method along with this if not just for a "Quick Match" option

deathmage390

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In Team Builder there's no more traditional Champion Select. Once all members have joined the lobby and readied up, the team leader sends the team straight into matchmaking and the loading screen.
i lost my previous message (would be nice if these forums had a "your posts" section), but i was saying before how it would probably be fine for normals. as there are more pages and still going thought it a few of my problems have been addressed.

my biggest problem for this is the "you must chose your champion" before you enter. i am one of the people who enjoys complimenting my team after most of them have picked (non draft style of course cause that is in order and ranked setup). so lets say i know i want to play mid lane but don't know if my team needs a cc mid or damage mid or assassin or even ad mid i enjoy picking people who compliment the team. by being forced to chose the champion ahead of time i may be placed in a team comp that i do not fit in to except that the leader decides that the random choice i picked would be ok with him.

a few solutions for this in my mind would be:
1. a TBA ( to be announced) champion choice and when get into the team the team leader has to re-ok the champion choice
2. be allowed to chose a lane / lane and type and allow you to chose the champion after you get in.
3. be able to chose a # of champions and then chose when you get into the teamselect. for example say you want to go mid then you could que up as mid lane/ any role/ leblanc, kha' zix, kennen or something like this.

the role selection could help to narrow this down for example do you have the roles of heavy cc, cc tank, heal support, gank-heavy jungle, farm jungle? i saw that the assasin role was in there at least. these would be like a more in-depth version of existing roles. for example lets say you are playing with a few lower level friends and know they will need help in lane you could specificaly request a gank jungle, and regular jungle would show up as well but farm jungle would be excluded. however if you just want a jungle then jungle, gank jungle, farm jungle would all fit. or if you have a team that is cc/ utility lacking then you can request a cc champion (like leblanc mid).

i understand the in-depth roles would increase wait times but help teams find champions better suited for what they are missing.

another question lets say you know what champion you want to play but are unsure of what lane lets take soraka ,because she can go anywhere, is there a way for me to ready up as any lane/ certain lanes as soraka lets say jungle/ bottom/ and mid are the lanes i would like to play soraka in? the other thing is unless there is an "any role" role this particular multi-lane choice could get hard because if your going support bottom but farm-jungle or damage mid or utility mid all of those role probably cannot be selected at once.

on a different track draft and ranked could not properly implement this from what i can see due to a differing set of problems. for example the draft pick style is a way for teams to counter pick each other and get rid of certain champions that cause a problematic game (to few bans as is -.-). this particular system only works in blind pick because you are not trying to counter pick or ban specific champions.

a way to enable this for ranked is for a lane/role Que for draft/ranked while leaving the champion as TBA. basically create a lobby for the team that would then ready up when everyone is fine with their role on the team. this would allow the leader to chose how to order his team to pick champions when they ready for a match as well as allow strategy before the champion select. that way then they get to the champion select against the other team, each team would proceed as is now during the selection process bans then top down picking of champions.

as stated however that the leader would need to be able to chose who picks first so it would show up as say top/mid/jungle/support/adc from top down or support/mid/jungle/adc/top from top down or however he wants to line it up.

MurderDeathKills

10-16-2013

Free at last! Free at last! Thank god almight we are free at last!

deathmage390

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Davin's research showed that a fairly good margin of players want to be supports. If that doesn't turn out to be true, then I'm confident there's things my team can do to help make support a better experience.
sorry about this.

fat chance in hell with morello's mindset.

apollogies but with how actual supports have been ridden into the ground by morello i sincerly doubt he would allow a general QOL buff to them.

as for support i often see the top 2 displacement specalists (blitz/thresh) neither are actual supports. both are realy bruisers/tanks that have massive displacement.

even without those 2 i only find real supports maybe half the time, i often she non-supports filling in as support, those such as annie, zyra, simply put cc heavy champions. i am not counting kill lanes like darius/ or second adc, i am talking about champions played as support.

edit:
a couple quotes from last few pages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerensky287 View Post

I'm a support main, and my best champion is Zyra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMonkeys View Post
if i que up as support ashe just to play ... well support ashe
^don't know if he is serious