@Morello About the current state of fighters

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

10-15-2013
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralik098 View Post
Does this mean that Irelia will be seeing changes in your S4 fighter project?
She's an example of the sort of bruiser we're looking at yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterheart View Post
Meddler, I don't think this is derailing as the thread I'm about to link is asking about Irelia's current state, but could you or Morello swing by IreliaCarrysYou's thread about her and answer some of his questions?
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3950109
The thread's steadily gaining traction, and quite frankly as an Irelia player myself, I'm be curious.
I'm not up to speed enough myself on Irelia's intricacies of play at the moment (someone else is looking at her kit for S4). We'll definitely talk about her closer to the time though once we've got something a bit more concrete we can talk about.

BlargCow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2013

is anything being changed about shen?

Mestergrog

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Irelia by contrast's going to be tougher given she's got a bunch of standard fighter tools and some mechanics (CC reduction and sustain especially) that can be difficult to make both balanced and satisfying. Approach we're currently investigating with kits like hers is to look at elements already on them that are distinct, though under rewarded, and experimenting to see if we can exaggerate those aspects of their character more, then compensating by removing more generic power elsewhere.
Personally I think it's alright if Irelia has a bunch more tools and mechanics than other fighters; "jack of all trades, master of none" is also a niche by itself. Her kit also makes her special in that she's one of the few fighters who are especially reliant on buying up items (referring to sustained damage fighters rather than the more bursty assassin semi-fighters like Zed or Yi) so the early game isn't as dominant but damage scales better. The only other sustained fighters I can think of that are similarly item-dependent are Jax and possibly Tryndamere.

Ralik098

10-16-2013

Quote:
She's an example of the sort of bruiser we're looking at yes.

I'm not up to speed enough myself on Irelia's intricacies of play at the moment (someone else is looking at her kit for S4). We'll definitely talk about her closer to the time though once we've got something a bit more concrete we can talk about.

Thanks for the response, looking forward to season four.

EDIT- Just out of curiosity, can you say who is working on this? It is CertainlyT right?

Nanatsu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2013

It would be nice if Riven's shield wasn't a no brainer. Here is a shot to make it more engaging; when she casts her shield it actually creates a window of time that blocks the next attack she takes and turns it into a shield this way it isn't just a key mash and makes her survivability tied to player skill.

Splinterheart

10-16-2013

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Heck that makes me even more excited tbh >_<

exec3

10-16-2013

Are there any champions that won't be touched on because you feel they're already in a good spot? Also will this be purely champion kit changes or will fighter preferred items be getting a look at as well? Finally are there any plans on talking to the community about changes like what Xelnath and some others have been doing with champion remakes? If Renekton's getting looked at I have my own ideas on what his possible problems are and what i'd change that i'd like to voice.

Solo Wing Fenix

10-16-2013

personally i'd like hear what he says about has to say shyvana. (i consider her a tank or fighter)

personally i prefer he not to change at all, chances are she will get the wrong thing "fixed" and just suck again.

her E is the only thing in her kit that really needs a look at and some slightly better scaling on her current abilities. and thats it. otherwise don't do a damn thing to her.

cimbop

10-16-2013

I'd love to see Irelia become a more thoughtful fighter, not just all in dash stun spam ult as fast as you can. Why not make it so her ult deals more damage the further away her target is? Encourage a bit of chipping away at opponents in a teamfight before going all in, I'd like to see an Irelia with a bit more thought required, right now she doesn't even have to aim her ult skillshot since she can use it on top of you fine.

Maximum Riven

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanatsu View Post
It would be nice if Riven's shield wasn't a no brainer. Here is a shot to make it more engaging; when she casts her shield it actually creates a window of time that blocks the next attack she takes and turns it into a shield this way it isn't just a key mash and makes her survivability tied to player skill.
Riven's kit is already almost entirely gated by mechanical player skill. Her E is the only thing that lets her fill her niche as a bruiser who builds primarily damage items.