Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gløry

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khardagon View Post
Yo Lyte, quick question that didn't quite catch on.

What if you need a different champion for the compositon? Like, your Nautilus jungle doesn't give enough AD damage that the team requires, can you swap for another jungle? Or you have to re-queue altogether?
Presumably this is just for blind pick and not ranked, since this and other issues would arise in a ranked game.

(bans difficult to manage, also one guy could set up a LFG looking for 5x adc jungle and his 4 friends could queue up as adc junglers and effectively give him a 5 man team in solo queue)

Wertilq

10-15-2013

How will this work out in to example ranked? There you need to be more flexible. Doing a poke comp might not be the best idea when enemy team runs Blitz, Malphite, Sejuani with Vayne and Ahri or something like that.

It really looks awesome though, great job player behaivour team. (can't you have a shorter name... like team cool or something?)

NavaCaution

10-15-2013

@Riot,

Im confused on how you could mess such a simple feature like this up. The main problem with queues right now is problems occur when more than one person wants to have a single role and there ends up being a dispute about it all. The solution should have been easy, but you went ahead and got way too deep into this.

All you need to do, is make it so I can choose a role. No champion, no meta breaking non-sense,(note, I have no problem going against the meta, just no need to get this in-depth prior to champ select), none of this garbage. Let me choose my role, and have the matchmaking system put me in a game with 4 other people who have chosen the other 4 roles that make a team composition. that will make queuing for anything much easier. If you want to have a game breaking meta practice game, you need to get some friends together and try that out in blind, or normal draft.

A small change like just selecting a role would make Ranked matches much more enjoyable to everyone.

davin

Senior User Researcher

10-15-2013
19 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
So this isn't happening to draft mode?
It's a whole separate queue. We'll see what happens from there!

Grannos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2013

Just wanted to stop by and say..."FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINALLY!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYTHANKYOUTHANKYOU THANK YOU. Incase you didn't hear me before, THANK YOU!!!!!!!"

This I think would most definitely alleviate some of the issues making teams.

FlashGuard5

10-15-2013

What about matchmaking? if i want to run a double jungle team will it match me with any MMR players?
Or it will only search for players that match my MMR?

AzgarthX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2013

There's a problem with this que mode. What if someone wants to play a champ that the game considers a top laner but as a jungler. Lets say for example someone wants to play Jungle Annie but they cant because the game lists her as a mid laner and by what this thread says your champion pool is limited to what role you picked beforehand so Annie won't show up among Jungler roles.

Grand Eleven

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
So this isn't happening to draft mode?
for the 10,000th time: it's a unique mode.

its not ranked.
its not draft.
its not blind.
its the team builder queue (though it will likely get a better name).

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-15-2013
20 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Mid Please View Post
How do you become a Team Leader?
Right now, it's as simple as selecting Team Builder and selecting that you want to be a leader. We're considering whether leaders need to invite at least 1 friend to be a leader, but this will depend on feedback and data on the ratio of players who want to be a leader versus be a solo player.

Exploding Barrel

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gløry View Post
I understand what you're saying. Happiness of one person vs four. But allowing those four to make game unplayable (at least without astronomical wait times), essentially enforces a, "play champs that are good, or don't play" meta.

Back in the day, Ezreal was considered absolute trash as an ADC. This is back when everyone rushed sheen (back when it cost like 1350 or whatever) on him vs other people using multiple OP dorans--he couldn't keep up in lane. People just didn't know how to play Ezreal. Then he got popular in China as part of a brutally punishing win-your-lane-early-with aggressive Ezreal strategy. Without being buffed AT ALL, he was suddenly a top tier pick in ADC. And then he got nerfed (W nerf primarily) and he was still a good pick. Since that time, the item changes have shaken everything up, but the point remains--Ezreal was once widely considered an absolute trash pick. If this system had been in place back then, you'd have seen people kicking anyone playing Ezreal. We'd never have gotten to know Ez as a dominant ADC.
Thing is, this basically replaces/provides an alternative to normal blind pick mode. Is that really where shifts in champion perception are coming from? I would think it's from the pros, streamers, and ranked players and trickles down to normal modes.