Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gigglestomp

Recruiter

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptamei View Post
Please clarify this one small thing for me too.

What happens when I pick jungle Quinn?
1/ I get matched with a team and put into the game as jungler.
2/ I get matched with a team and put into the game as ADC.
3/ I get matched with a team and kicked, and kicked again, and kicked some more and then get kicked.
4/ I physically cannot pick jungle Quinn.

Any of the above is fine for me really, but I'd like to know before I practice some more (and risk my hide in the tribunal every time I lose).

5) You que as marksman jungler. Team captains set parameters for roles and lanes. The system finds one who said they want a marksman junger. Each team is allowed to accept/deny you as their jungler when they see you want to play Quinn. They have already agreed they want marksman in the jungle... But they get a final yes/no to Quinn. If they say yes you join the game. Everyone is stuck with you because the captain agreed to it. Until a captain hits yes you will be stuck in que.

Zerglinator

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Until you accept someone, you don't see their name. There's also some further safeguards against abusive team leaders
Also from people who look at your lolking and say "ew you lost as Ziggs once get out"

davin

Senior User Researcher

10-15-2013
17 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevlJoe View Post
So what about maps that aren't Summoner's Rift? Those exist too.
You don't have to tell me twice, Twisted Treeline is my favorite map. For the initial launch, we're testing this with the most common mode/map combination, but expansion isn't out of the question.

Ncik666

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gløry View Post
I understand what you're saying. Happiness of one person vs four. But allowing those four to make game unplayable (at least without astronomical wait times), essentially enforces a, "play champs that are good, or don't play" meta.

Back in the day, Ezreal was considered absolute trash as an ADC. This is back when everyone rushed sheen (back when it cost like 1350 or whatever) on him vs other people using multiple OP dorans--he couldn't keep up in lane. People just didn't know how to play Ezreal. Then he got popular in China as part of a brutally punishing win-your-lane-early-with aggressive Ezreal strategy. Without being buffed AT ALL, he was suddenly a top tier pick in ADC. And then he got nerfed (W nerf primarily) and he was still a good pick. Since that time, the item changes have shaken everything up, but the point remains--Ezreal was once widely considered an absolute trash pick. If this system had been in place back then, you'd have seen people kicking anyone playing Ezreal. We'd never have gotten to know Ez as a dominant ADC.
This is my main concern with the system. Allowing organic evolution of champs and roles is going to be much more difficult. A lot of champs have undergone huge changes in how they're played. Zyra support was a bit weird on introduction, Annie support is still just being introduced in NA. I don't think that this should ever become the only system for queuing. Most people are pretty open to weird support picks in solo, I do it all the time. But I fear for kneejerk kicking of anything outside meta if this becomes the default queuing system.

Postal Badger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-15-2013

Yo Lyte, quick question that didn't quite catch on.

What if you need a different champion for the compositon? Like, your Nautilus jungle doesn't give enough AD damage that the team requires, can you swap for another jungle? Or you have to re-queue altogether?

FH Jellybean

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gløry View Post
Wow. Enforcing the meta. Never thought I'd see the day.

Going to edit this post to include more questions I want answered from farther within the thread. Privileged to have this position on the first page, I might as well use it:

Serrot Ynot phrased this question another way:

Another questions I myself have: Let's say I queue up as Mage/Mid as Zilean, and get slotted into a team. Does the leader see that I'm playing Zilean? Based on that picture it would seem he does. What if he doesn't like Zilean mid, is he free to just kick me? In this manner it would seem Riot is giving players the ability to enforce the meta -themselves,- by allowing them to prevent their fellow players from ever completing a game with a champion who is deemed undesirable. Care to comment?

You are probably getting down voted by all bronze and silver players haha. I think the matchmaking is a terrible idea.

Sirendipity

10-15-2013

I really appreciate this!!! Thank you Lyte and everyone involved in its production!

Zerglinator

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
You actually never end up in Champion Select. The team's screen replaces it--once you're all good, you just queue up and end up in a match.
So this isn't happening to draft mode?

Billy

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Team Builder is pretty flexible but we had to be careful not to add too many specific options in the system that may increase queue times. What this means is that in Team Builder, you'll be able to outline the high-level strategy you are interested in playing--this means that you'll be able to select the roles and positions for your team, but not select the specific Champions you want on a team.

As a leader of a group in Team Builder, you'll then be presented with players that want to play one of the roles/positions on your team, and you'll get to see the Champion they want to play and get to accept/decline them from your group.
Can't team leaders essentially decline players until one who is playing the champion they wanted is added to their team? It would take a ridiculously long time to get your perfect team, but its kinda the same as just having a long queue time but automatically finding players who are playing the champs you want on your team?

Overall I love this idea and think it will improve the game experience tremendously, but if you must always lock in a champion in addition to selecting a role before finding a team it will be impossible to plan out your team comp. I probably just misunderstood (or at least I hope) and you can select just a role before finding a team and then choose champs in the pregame lobby before readying up. Also, after readying up and matchmaking finds an opposing team do you immediately launch into the game? (choose role/champ -> team builder -> ready up -> loading screen -> game ?)

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-15-2013
18 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuillamard View Post
The one thing that worries me about the system, given previous experience with similar mechanics in other games...

How will the Team Builder prevents queues from taking 20 minutes (or some other crazy long amount of time)to form a game since there will be 9.987 people willing to go mid and 11.234 wanting solo top for every 1 support player?
In our research, we were surprised that role preferences were pretty diverse. When we surveyed players and asked what their preferred role was, about 15% of players preferred playing Support, 14% of players preferred playing Jungle, and 5% of players were willing to fill any role.

We'll be keeping a very close eye on role popularity in Team Builder, but for now, it looks like there are players that are very happy to play the perceived least popular roles if there is a system like Team Builder in place to help create teams.