Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trykstr

10-15-2013

I am curious about a possible future of this feature. Lets say this system makes it into ranked. I know this isnt all figured out at the moment but I'd love to hear Riots thoughts on a few points:

• Since champions/roles/lanes are selected during the "Pre-game" as it were, how will Banning work with this? Or will there be no banning?
  • Will all champs be selected and locked in as soon as the actual game lobby starts or will champs be picked as they are in draft?
  • If they are still picked as if it is draft mode, what will happen if someone on the other team picks the champion I queued to play as?

Maybe I just have to wait to play it on PBE or whenever/if it releases fully, but if you do answer, many thanks!

Raptamei

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MankindsBadHABIT View Post
In short "Deal with other players controlling what you want to play and choosing not to compromise and learn and grow."
To be fair, this is already the case. If you don't pick what people want you to pick, you get reported and then banned like Druiddroid and Qualityplayer.

The (intended, but sadly missed) point of role queue is to prevent role fights in champion select, not to force players to pick top tier champions only. No one asked for a system where people could kick each other for not picking FotM champions.

Make no mistake: Ziggs mid will get you kicked. Why wouldn't the host kick you and get an Ahri right after?

Everything else is perfect. BUT THE KICK FUNCTION. DELETE IT. If I queue up for jungle then I bloody want to jungle and who I pick in that role is my choice.

Best Reimu NA

10-15-2013

Awesome, thanks Riot.

Gløry

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Barrel View Post
I think you're exaggerating how much something like Fiora top will get you turned down. There are snobs who will and you probably wouldn't have fun playing with them anyway, but she's fine at most skill levels.

It sounds like the people complaining have the attitude of "I want to be able to play however I want, and Riot should force 4 other people into that game with me." But a mode that makes 1 person happy and 4 people unhappy isn't a well designed mode. Instead you wait a while until you have 5 reasonably happy people.
I understand what you're saying. Happiness of one person vs four. But allowing those four to make game unplayable (at least without astronomical wait times), essentially enforces a, "play champs that are good, or don't play" meta.

Back in the day, Ezreal was considered absolute trash as an ADC. This is back when everyone rushed sheen (back when it cost like 1350 or whatever) on him vs other people using multiple OP dorans--he couldn't keep up in lane. People just didn't know how to play Ezreal. Then he got popular in China as part of a brutally punishing win-your-lane-early-with aggressive Ezreal strategy. Without being buffed AT ALL, he was suddenly a top tier pick in ADC. And then he got nerfed (W nerf primarily) and he was still a good pick. Since that time, the item changes have shaken everything up, but the point remains--Ezreal was once widely considered an absolute trash pick. If this system had been in place back then, you'd have seen people kicking anyone playing Ezreal. We'd never have gotten to know Ez as a dominant ADC.

Postal Badger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2013

I'm a bit confused, so far I have seen you can select anywho you want anywhere.

But, what happens if you need a different kind of Champion? For example, you queued with Nautilus Jungle, but the team is waaay too tanky and have no AD output besides the ADC, can you change the Champion for a different one, say, a Shyvana? Or you have to enter a different queue altogether?

matrinox

10-15-2013

Lyte, are players purposefully masked from Team Builder or is that just a demo?

I think it would be best to hide that info otherwise people will just keep Lolking players and kicking them off if they deem them unworthy.

Scrulox

10-15-2013

To make the queue for this mode at least reasonable, Riots might wanna seriously improve the jungler and support role especially on their gold income.

davin

Senior User Researcher

10-15-2013
14 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptamei View Post
To be fair, this is already the case. If you don't pick what people want you to pick, you get reported and then banned like Druiddroid and Qualityplayer.

The (intended, but sadly missed) point of role queue is to prevent role fights in champion select, not to force players to pick top tier champions only. No one asked for a system where people could kick each other for not picking FotM champions.

Make no mistake: Ziggs mid will get you kicked. Why wouldn't the host kick you and get an Ahri right after?
We all have our own experiences with folks who are super insistent about what champions are allowed for what roles. But there's also folks who are pretty easy-going, as long as the champion makes sense for the role. One of the first things we did when planning this feature was to run some research to figure out whether players would generally be happy with a composition that "made sense" but wasn't "strict omega tier 1 champ in every slot". The levels of acceptance there were pretty encouraging (go Ziggs go!).

FH Jellybean

10-15-2013

This is a terrible idea

Guttler

10-15-2013

@Lyte.

What if a player queues for a specific role with some champion, but when they get into champion select they end up picking a champion that is rather farfetched for the position.

Just as an example. Let's say someone queues for mid as Orianna preferred, but in champion select they say "I'm going jungle" and lock in as Revive and Clarity Garen.

Are there any plans to introduce a vote kick feature to champion select to allow us Regular Joe's to counter toxic players aside from playing out the match, losing horribly, and then reporting them at the postgame overview?