Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raptamei

10-15-2013

Please clarify this one small thing for me too.

What happens when I pick jungle Quinn?
1/ I get matched with a team and put into the game as jungler.
2/ I get matched with a team and put into the game as ADC.
3/ I get matched with a team and kicked, and kicked again, and kicked some more and then get kicked.
4/ I physically cannot pick jungle Quinn.

Any of the above is fine for me really, but I'd like to know before I practice some more (and risk my hide in the tribunal every time I lose).

Skyhawke

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
As a leader of a group in Team Builder, you'll then be presented with players that want to play one of the roles/positions on your team, and you'll get to see the Champion they want to play and get to accept/decline them from your group.
This seems like a huge opportunity to bully. I know other ideas have been shot down (like the whole losing less LP if you have a leaver idea) because of possible negative interactions, so I'm very confused why it seems you'll be implementing a feature that has the same possibilities.

It looks like there's way to much power in the hands of the leader, here. The only concrete way to get to play the champion you want is to be the leader, so I think there will be a heavy amount of people electing to be leaders instead of queuing as a non-leader. With matchmaking probably already being longer than before, this will just make queue times even more disastrous.

Lardomonster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2013

I'm wondering if someone ends up trolling?
eg, someone queues for top lanes, chooses a champ that wouldn't be very effective at top (lets say vayne), the other 4 clearly are against this choice, is there a way to avoid this? Also at the flip side, that person plays vayne at top very well, what prevents the other 4 people from saying that you're clearly trolling when you are not?

XanderChaos

10-15-2013

Great idea BUT not for ranked, this will destroy ranked play. Queue times will take forever just because nobody ever wants to play support so in higher elo the queue time is already decently long but with this feature added i just see it taking way too long to play a game.

StriderXplosive

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MankindsBadHABIT View Post
Children, that's my point exactly... you will probably find those people... HOURS later, maybe you don't find them AT ALL some days.
Then settle for a good ol regular role until you find that team willing to let you go Caitlyn jungle. Or make a custom and invite some peeps and go have fun with the way YOU want to play X champ.

"This is something we discussed pretty extensively while building the rules of the system. We didn't want to enforce the meta, but we also didn't set out to try to break it. Instead, we wanted to put the tools in players' hands.

Some of the research we did to see if this feature would have legs showed that players were actually pretty happy to play outside of the "standard" meta, as long as the composition made sense from a "what can this champion do" (not a lot of players were excited about solo-lane Sona, but Talon top was pretty accepted). There's some players who will be pretty strict, but perceptions on that are actually pretty widely varied.

In short, it's something we'll be watching, and it's definitely something we've considered quite a bit. Given the broad range of beliefs regarding what a viable composition is, I think there will actually be a decent amount of variance."

davin

Senior User Researcher

10-15-2013
13 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gløry View Post
Still waiting to hear from Riot on the finer points of this system. While non-meta comps are certainly possible, they are highly unlikely to be attained via natural queueing up, since no one knows what the team leaders are actually looking for without a lobby, and thus no one would know what nonmeta class/position to queue up as, therefore 99.99% of the time this is just a tool to queue up according to the standard meta, thereby enforcing it indirectly.
This is something we discussed pretty extensively while building the rules of the system. We didn't want to enforce the meta, but we also didn't set out to try to break it. Instead, we wanted to put the tools in players' hands.

Some of the research we did to see if this feature would have legs showed that players were actually pretty happy to play outside of the "standard" meta, as long as the composition made sense from a "what can this champion do" (not a lot of players were excited about solo-lane Sona, but Swain top was pretty accepted). There's some players who will be pretty strict, but perceptions on that are actually pretty widely varied.

In short, it's something we'll be watching, and it's definitely something we've considered quite a bit. Given the broad range of beliefs regarding what a viable composition is, I think there will actually be a decent amount of variance.

Exploding Barrel

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptamei View Post

3/ I get matched with a team and kicked, and kicked again, and kicked some more and then get kicked.

Any of the above is fine for me really, but I'd like to know before I practice some more (and risk my hide in the tribunal every time I lose).
Mostly number 3. It will present you to teams looking for a jungler until a team leader accepts you. That's how I understand it anyway.

Gløry

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptamei View Post

3, I think, unless Riot has some proviso where you can only queue with characters according to their affixed roles, which I don't think they do.

but be prepared for a lot of 3s. It seems the players can now dictate what you can and can't play in this mode, by way of permanently kicking you, or refusing to be on your team.

MankindsBadHABIT

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulvar View Post
Come on, this is badly needed, at least in ranked. I'm tired of getting a teammate who wants to try Zilean top and then goes 0/11/2.

I get that people don't want to be pigeon-holed into a certain champion pool but IF they do this right, I feel like you should still be able to take a Shen support or Diana Jungle or any other diverse champ who can function in multiple roles. Still, there has to be something implemented to prevent people from doing super crazy things that aren't "Cutting edge" meta but just plain silly, at least in ranked queues.

"I'm tired of getting a teammate who wants to try Zilean top...."

There you have it. That's the problem. You will now join all the people who say, "X champ is bad any anyone who plays it is bad... SKIP" and that person you skipped will likely never get a game.

Thank you for making ALL THE POINTS for us.

RainbowTrenches

10-15-2013

This sounds fantastic and I cannot wait to try it on PBE. Seriously, this just made my day in a completely non-ironic fashion.