So dodge was removed because riot was trying to move away from RNG reliance

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-15-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatRushVII View Post
How is crit any different?

I'm not qqing, i'm not suggesting removing crit from the game, just honestly curious.

lol @ all the angry downvoters
Game design is a pragmatic problem solving. Decisions are often not in absolutes, and have to be made according to the situation.

While we do generally want to keep artificial RNG low (as opposed to 'hidden information emergent "rng"' -- I turned a corner, and didn't know there were 3 guys there), we opted to keep crit but remove dodge for a few reasons:

1) Dodge is 'negative' RNG rather than 'positive' RNG. We found that players notice dodge a lot less as the beneficiary than as the person who 'missed'. So, it tends to be on net not very fun.

2) The more RNG elements you add together, the more maximum RNG outcomes you get. By removing just one of the RNGs, you don't halve the 'worst case' RNG outcomes, you actually more than halve them (A scenario where you are dodging attacks on you AND criting opponents).

3) Players were excited about building for crit, and weren't excited by building for dodge.. because criting is exciting and cool.

4) We wanted some build types to scale a bit harder (not a LOT harder) than others, and the existence of crit ensures that marksmen can scale a little bit better on DPS than does defense or AP damage. (NOTE -- a LITTLE bit)

Note that we also moved our crit system to pseudorandom that makes it less spikey (low chance of double crits), and reduces the impact on game objectives.

So, I feel like this is a good balance between the various considerations. In total, our artifical RNG is very, very low.

- Zileas

Luscious Lenny

10-15-2013

ew zileas. abandon the thread.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-15-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luscious Lenny View Post
ew zileas. abandon the thread.
I dislike you also.

QuickDash

10-15-2013

@Zilieas plz make cooler things with more rng, its unbalanced but its not stale. This game is becoming more stale than the bread i bit into last night

Luscious Lenny

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
I dislike you also.
:*( I was j/k, but now i know the true feels.
Name:  1234613_162364370632331_825454739_n.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  16.3 KB

EzSkillshot

10-15-2013

Zileas actually didn't troll?
Wow, such doge.

Vsin

10-15-2013

Quote:
Note that we also moved our crit system to pseudorandom that makes it less spikey (low chance of double crits), and reduces the impact on game objectives.
About that. I remember a while back, someone did an experiment involving a Caitlyn with an Avarice Blade (10% Crit) hitting Dr. Mundo repeatedly. Apparently your pseudorandom algorithm makes it so that 10% Crit is actually 8% Crit. Was that ever true, and if so, was that ever fixed?

sesxymama

10-15-2013

Quote:
I dislike you also.
i'm quitting league of legends because I am overreacting idiot and you should always be super fake nice to your customers and never even kid about insulting them

CaesarFlickerman

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
Random crits are a terrible game mechanic that needs to be scrubbed out of video game developers' minds, especially if they're going to claim to be competitive.
Oh my god, so much this.

Just Mid

10-15-2013

Uh.. what's RNG?