Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kr1sys

10-15-2013

Report Riot for MS(Meta secured/steal)

Revenged25

10-15-2013

So once again is this just normals or both normal and ranked? Also can I just out in an option for any role just find me a game?

Also how does this work in matchfinding? Will there just be a massive list of people wanting to be captains making queues and players able to search those lists and join the games if they like the online poker queues giving you a large list of games and limits available and you just have to take a seat?

Currymancer

10-15-2013

g.G.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-15-2013
7 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roborobber View Post
Will we still have the option of queuing up as we do now, sans the team builder?
Initially, Team Builder will be a separate queue and you will still be able to queue up as you do now for other game modes such as Normal Blind Pick.

Just Mid

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Initially, Team Builder will be a separate queue and you will still be able to queue up as you do now for other game modes such as Normal Blind Pick.
Oh ok so it's not for ranked or anything.

CallMeBlitzkrieg

10-15-2013

The way I'm looking at it is this: It is a tool to find people to play with that you THEN queue up with, not you queue as one of the listed roles and then enter matchmaking, correct?

I really don't want to see queues look like this, because then it hyperinflates queue times, and opens a whole can of worms regarding enforcing your pick once in champ select. What if you changed your mind when you found out that the enemy team counters your champ?

edit: You said initially, please keep it that way.

FatedTitan

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
It actually does not enforce it--leaders of a team will be able to set whatever parameters they want. Double jungle? Five man mid? Make it happen!

But, because team collaboration is the name of the game, your teammates will need to be bought in by queuing for that position and accepting the plan beforehand. It's built into the system to allow for flexible meta expression.
Your picture shows picking a role and position. You even say who should be there. That's enforcing the Meta.

And furthermore, this won't help anything. Solo Q match times will skyrocket because of the lack of supports. Then a ton of players, to get in matches, will say they want Support, but will say "I'm top or feed." This isn't helping teamwork. This is causing more trolling and problems than before.

In theory it's a great idea. In reality, it's going to cause a lot of problems and enforces the meta entirely.

Light LaserTower

10-15-2013

Can you add a "fill" option.

This is a litterally "I am in the mood to play an crazy idea someone has come up with and any roll they need me to play"

EG you are Mid in a 3 mid 1 top 1 bot combo or bot or w/e.

Needles K

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Team Builder is all about introducing a new, cooperative Champion Select where players can agree to a strategy and team vision before entering a match. Players in Team Builder will be able to outline a strategy they are interested in playing, and the system will find teammates that share that vision. Feel like playing a double jungler strategy or want to send 5 players down the mid-lane? No problem. It might take longer to find 4 other players willing to try a crazy strategy but when you do, you'll know the entire team is bought in and you're going to have fun.
But this isn't actually how it will happen. In order to get people to buy in, you need to communicate with them, and this doesn't even give you anyone to communicate with until afterwards.

What will happen is, somebody interested in trying something weird will try queuing for it a couple of times, not get any results, and then just give up. Then the next guy interested in trying something weird will try queuing for it a couple of times, not get any results, and then just give up forever. Or maybe they even queue at the same time, but one sets the midlaner as an assassin and the other sets it as a mage, but they're really OK with both. Because they don't know there's anyone out there amenable to their ideas and don't have any way of trying to convince someone, they will effectively be barred from trying their weird strategies to an even greater degree than they are today.

Thraximundar12

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2013

Can't wait!