Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-15-2013
5 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gløry View Post
Wow. Enforcing the meta. Never thought I'd see the day.
Team Builder is all about introducing a new, cooperative Champion Select where players can agree to a strategy and team vision before entering a match. Players in Team Builder will be able to outline a strategy they are interested in playing, and the system will find teammates that share that vision. Feel like playing a double jungler strategy or want to send 5 players down the mid-lane? No problem. It might take longer to find 4 other players willing to try a crazy strategy but when you do, you'll know the entire team is bought in and you're going to have fun.

AcerbicTongue

10-15-2013

Will this be used in ranked as well, or is this just for normal games? Given that I can't really make sense of having dynamic matchmaking for ranked games, I'm guessing it is just for normals, but I have to ask.

BedderDanu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gløry View Post
Wow. Enforcing the meta. Never thought I'd see the day.
What's nice about this is that it is easily expandable.

For example, I may be able to choose "Annie, Tank, Top" and then I may get matched with teams that would totally allow that to happen. However, this functionality may not be present in the first iteration which may be a bit "enforcefull".

Basically, what ends up happening is that you choose your ideal position, and your ideal team. This gets matched with people wanting compatible teams, but varying positions. Once the most number of satisfied requirements is met, a team gets built, and then you get to queue with that team.

Grand Eleven

10-15-2013

This is long overdue and not under appreciated.

Thanks a million.

bérnkastel

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
It actually does not enforce it--captains will be able to set whatever parameters they want. Double jungle? Five man mid? Make it happen!

But, because team collaboration is the name of the game, your teammates will need to be bought in by queuing for that position and accepting the plan beforehand. It's built into the system to allow for flexible meta expression.
This was my one concern, that things like AP corki mid would be shoved aside. I guess it's natural that you announce it after doing the homework :P. So the question we should be asking is what's the catch? I'm assuming that there's a limitation as well? Long queue times?

I Rock Ths

10-15-2013

So Rioters... according to you there would be a way to queue for role, not just top/mid whatever? Because I see so many times a triple assassin comp that fails because people just call top, mid, jung, adc or support. I understand this solves a lot of problems because people aren't fighting over position which is a major problem in champ select and the main reason I hate solo queueing, but I would love for that to be implemented: the ability to select role and then preferred position, maybe favorite 5 champs you want to play in that position would be an awesome idea.

Don't mind me I'm just thinking aloud...

Cantankerous

10-15-2013

My questions:

Is the plan to make this the normal queuing experience when it leaves PBE?

Is this only for ranked then? Normal Draft? Normal Blind Pick? TT? etc.

What about people who don't particularly care about which role/lane they fill in a particular game?

What if people want to try alternate team comps/strategies?

How do you see this working with lesser-chosen champions, or non-traditional lane assignments? Zilean says hi.

Wittrock

10-15-2013

So is this like, a seperate queue, correct? Instead of Normal blind/draft, it'd be Normal "teambuilder"?

And this is just for normals, correct?

Riot NeuroCat

Associate Business Analyst

10-15-2013
6 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
It actually does not enforce it--captains will be able to set whatever parameters they want. Double jungle? Five man mid? Make it happen!

But, because team collaboration is the name of the game, your teammates will need to be bought in by queuing for that position and accepting the plan beforehand. It's built into the system to allow for flexible meta expression.
I think my favorite comp I'm looking to run is: Marksman/Jungle, Tank/Jungle, Fighter/Top, Mage/Bottom, Support/Mid. The marksman and tank roam to lanes and help take towers - recently fought against this and its pretty scary!

So glad we finally get to share this

YGBSM

10-15-2013

How will this affect queue times? For example, if I only want to play Jinx as Marksman (but so do many other people) will I be forced to wait much longer to find a match? Or will the system suggest that I can play marksman, but some other champion?