Welp, morgana doesn't have her aoe magic resist shreds anymore

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Critkeeper

10-11-2013

^ I was wondering when someone with some math would show up.

I knew all along that the magic resist shred would be more powerful in its current for than the % damage on PBE. When I summoned Morgageddon, I was hoping he could shed some light on that nerf, but he seems to believe it was a buff, and so does most of the community.

I'm confident that what is on the PBE is going to be buffed if they are actually looking to keep morgana at the same power level or at least do what they were claiming -- helping her out after the laning phase.

And as far as the % damage making her combo more scary that the magic resist shred...

No.

Just no.

Xyltin

10-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Trynda View Post
^ I was wondering when someone with some math would show up.

I knew all along that the magic resist shred would be more powerful in its current for than the % damage on PBE. When I summoned Morgageddon, I was hoping he could shed some light on that nerf, but he seems to believe it was a buff, and so does most of the community.

I'm confident that what is on the PBE is going to be buffed if they are actually looking to keep morgana at the same power level or at least do what they were claiming -- helping her out after the laning phase.

And as far as the % damage making her combo more scary that the magic resist shred...

No.

Just no.
I could talk for hours about Morgana and how this change is not right.
Even if the dmg would stay nearly equal and her farming wouldn't be hurt, it would still be a nerf for the rest of her teams magical dmg. It will reduce the catch potential that Morgana has with a mate on her side, cause the % missing HP will never be as strong in terms of dmg as the MR shred or only very close to it.

I at first thought that Riot would at least fix her bugs at the same time they work on her.
And then they make the MR shred more stable but less effective if the enemy really stand for 5 sec in that W.
Something like the MR shred every 0.5 sec but capped at 4-5 stacks. That way it would apply way faster and be more useful if the enemy can walk out of it fast without being too useful if the enemy is stuck in her W.

I even played against Morgana Bot and she was super pissed about the nerf.

Morgana was once used cause she could push lanes well and then invade the jungle or try to roam even with her low MS. The important thing was that the enemy didn't have much time to roam without losing minions.

Now, after Ahri, Orianna and all others, her wave clear seem very bad. These newer champs can clear faster and pressure better without losing their dmg threat at any time in the lane.
They can even AA and clear probably better than Morgana pre 5.

Stonewall would say opportunity costs.
Morgana uses a lot of mana and a 10 sec CD to clear 3-4 minions with a rank 3 W.
Ahri uses a a 7 sec Q CD to hit all 6 minions dealing only around 50% of Morganas dmg, but she hits 6 instead of 3-4 minions only and her AA and range allows her to kill the rest. Lower mana costs and lower CD. Still has her W and E up for some dmg and her AA is pretty decent to harass.
Orianna uses a 9 sec CD and also a bit less mana, but she still had her Q to get some other minions, and it has a low CD to harass with a pretty good range, while her AA + passive combo can clear waves pretty fast for using 0 mana.

Morgana used her only real DMG skill early on to clear some minions and then she still needs to go close to AA the rest. She can not trade for the next 10 seconds, cause Q alone does not really do much early on.

Morgana uses a lot of her kit early game to clear waves and then she does it worse than others. And that wave clear is a great strength she once had.
And instead of improving this strength or making her MR reduction more stable, Riot is focusing onto a new mechanic that has nothing to do with her and is in the current form a pure nerf.
And it will never help morgana being really better. Even when buffed it will not really improve her play patterns or strengths but will be an extra that nobody really cares about (way less than about the MR reduction).
"Oh, do you see that low HP target? I could cast my W and finish it off if the enemy doesn't move out of it, what will never really happen.
Or I could cast my Q and the enemy will probably be dead from the base dmg alone."
It is not like Morgana needs to be better a picking of low HP enemies with her Q + W combo.

3% max HP could be something. It would still not fit her playstyle, but at least it would not be a straight nerf.

But I talk too much again.

GG Crono

10-11-2013

As a long-time Morgana player, I rather like the new Soil. In theory, anyway. It was always hard to get the most out of the MR shred.

However, I think it would be better if the % damage scaled with level, to give more of a reward for maxing Soil first. It's always preferably to give people more options, no? It could potentially be a response to health stackers.

thumbnail9

10-11-2013

Nah still not going to help you farm.

Maybe if the skill did like 130/ then missing HP. Or worked like spirit fire.

Nahath

10-11-2013

Even if the numbers get boosted up, it's a straight-up nerf to support Morgana (unless they get boosted WAY up). I know that focusing on the primary role is most important, but I always like it when Riot can at least consider secondary roles in their balance changes.

vortical42

10-11-2013

Agreed. Took one look at those patch notes and thought "RIP support Morgana". While we are on the subject, why does every character have to have a %HP shred?

MrHarz

10-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahath View Post
Even if the numbers get boosted up, it's a straight-up nerf to support Morgana (unless they get boosted WAY up). I know that focusing on the primary role is most important, but I always like it when Riot can at least consider secondary roles in their balance changes.
It's a nerf to mid Morgana too, need level 7 to kill caster minions and 9 to kill melee and removes utility and synergy with an ap jungler or top.

It's also a nerf to jungle Morgana (or just mid Morganas farming Wraiths now and then), since it hurts her ability to shred the big monster's MR and chunk them with binding, and again, reduced utility and synergy with an ap mid or top.

Raptamei

10-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot morgageddon View Post
morgageddon was having a busy day!

Opinion starting

i personally think it'll help address both her hard issues with farming at team stage/late game (everyone else can burst farm, she cannot easily without wasting q for one minion) as well as it makes you more of a chunk poke damage if you q someone for harass then drop a w, etc.

opinion ending

but but her jungle
how dare you

you heartless