Dat Rammus VU doe

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arctic Bro

10-11-2013

the ol' spit 'n shine

FistOf7Dragons

10-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I'd rather hear your suggestions first.
mistletoe leblanc ._. christmas particles please

GenuineGuilt

10-11-2013

i'm never getting an update about Kassadin

Marisa

10-11-2013

Quote:
There's a whole list of champions which sort of constitute a lower tier in terms of priority and work needed for VU. This equates to "TU's", or Texture Updates. Those are champions whose models, rigs, animations, and other framework are in pretty decent shape, and all they need is some geometry tweaking on the model and texture polish for quality and readability's sake. Yes, Miss Fortune would be one of those. Some others might be Lux, Vayne, and a few other recent-ish champions built on solid foundations. Such TU's would be easier to do, low-risk and be able to be peppered into our larger scale effort to overhaul champions that have a heavier work load attached to them.
Will any of these involve small animation additions to put them in line with new releases such as basic recalls or slightly modified high-speed runs?

Lord Graves III

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2013

Jarvan IV.

His animations are all rock solid, but his model actually looks rather dated up close. Its less that he needs it badly, and more that it seems like a relatively fast fix.

Splinterheart

10-11-2013

Quote:
There's a whole list of champions which sort of constitute a lower tier in terms of priority and work needed for VU. This equates to "TU's", or Texture Updates. Those are champions whose models, rigs, animations, and other framework are in pretty decent shape, and all they need is some geometry tweaking on the model and texture polish for quality and readability's sake. Yes, Miss Fortune would be one of those. Some others might be Lux, Vayne, and a few other recent-ish champions built on solid foundations. Such TU's would be easier to do, low-risk and be able to be peppered into our larger scale effort to overhaul champions that have a heavier work load attached to them.
Yes! This is what I hoped you'd explain when you started commenting here.
Can you give an approximation as to how long TU's take to do?
Would it be worth branching out to do a large number of TU's if they're easier/faster to do at the cost of slower VU's?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-11-2013
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterheart View Post
Yes! This is what I hoped you'd explain when you started commenting here.
Can you give an approximation as to how long TU's take to do?
Would it be worth branching out to do a large number of TU's if they're easier/faster to do at the cost of slower VU's?
Depends. The Rammus one, since it wasn't a full blown operation, more of a labor of love for some of our artists for a while, took longer than it would have to just focus the entire Relaunch team onto such a TU. That said, we only have a certain number of texture artists. They're going to have stuff to do across the board on a number of different assets at any given time. Work like this seems to be be best served when it's not the absolute priority, and as I said, mixed into the various levels of work we do on any particular champion.

We have a TU list also. As per usual, if you look though characters that have fairly solid rigs and animations, you can guess which ones will most likely be in line for a TU rather than a full blown VU or relaunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineGuilt View Post
i'm never getting an update about Kassadin
Kassadin is high on the priority list for a full VU.

Splinterheart

10-11-2013

Quote:
Depends. The Rammus one, since it wasn't a full blown operation, more of a labor of love for some of our artists for a while, took longer than it would have to just focus the entire Relaunch team onto such a TU. That said, we only have a certain number of texture artists. They're going to have stuff to do across the board on a number of different assets at any given time. Work like this seems to be be best served when it's not the absolute priority, and as I said, mixed into the various levels of work we do on any particular champion.

We have a TU list also. As per usual, if you look though characters that have fairly solid rigs and animations, you can guess which ones will most likely be in line for a TU rather than a full blown VU or relaunch.
Figured there might be only a select number of people doing the TU's. (Also just occurred to me, but will Rammus get a new splash now even thought it was just a TU? You don't do splashes, but I bet you know the guys that do, being in the art department :P
So will you guys continue the slow low priority TU's then? I assume there's probably little meetings with the texture artists to decide who could be next on the TU list and what direction you want to go etc. I think I quite like the idea of TU's happening every once in a while. (This way I don't have to wait an eternity for the VU team to update more recent champions that need updates, but don't have horrendous la Sivir models.)

GenuineGuilt

10-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironstylus View Post

kassadin is high on the priority list for a full vu.
Creatures of the void beware

Name:  Raziel.jpg
Views: 16608
Size:  45.8 KB

0xiDIzE

10-11-2013

Wow, all the little changes look really sharp! I love the new slow and level up particles. Nice job IronStylus and crew!

And OMG the new Xerath animations/particles. Whoever did those has my undying love.