@Ironstylus - If Pantheon gets a VU, will he get a face?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LVNsNASmurf

10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I think that's an excellent idea. Sort of a Judge Dredd thing. I could see that working.
I'd just prefer his current skins cleaned up a bit. I would give you RP the SECOND full metal pantheon looked as good ingame as it did in the splash.

However, Dredd pantheon would be awesome. And I do want to see his story expanded. And gameplay.

Gameplay wise, I wish there was a viable build that wasn't "max Q, spam Q til OOM, laugh"

CHUNKI3

10-06-2013

any chance of some leakage of the new harrowing skins iron? ;3

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2013
6 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsative View Post
and then pantheon would only take off his helmet for his beloved leona and ...
ಠ_ಠ

Maerala

10-06-2013

Quote:
Good questions.

Personally I'd like to make Pantheon not just a "faceless Spartan", but that doesn't mean necessarily giving him a face. I mean, I think he's iconic because ya know, the image of a Spartan-like warrior has that shape language.

Logistically, maybe if we did a VU on him we'd put a face under there, actually add some geometry so that it's not just a hollow helmet, but I don't think we'd bust open the helmet to reveal a head.

Even if we don't make it particularly visible on the model, I'd like to give him a bit more depth, figure out to wrap him up in what stuff has gone down on Mt Targon with Protecty Sun Lady and Grumpy Moon Chick.
It seems like Kayle's helmet is just as important a part of her lore as Pantheon's is to his, yet she has several skins where we're shown her face whereas he has none. I don't particularly think that's fair. Can you comment on why that is?

Wintermallz

10-06-2013

Quote:
ಠ_ಠ
Don't worry, if you ever do make a face for Pantheon, you could always model it off your own XD

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2013
7 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerala View Post
It seems like Kayle's helmet is just as important a part of her lore as Pantheon's is to his, yet she has several skins where we're shown her face but whereas he has none. I don't particularly think that's fair. Can you comment on why that is?
Just a gut feeling. I don't see any immediate benefit for a helmet-less Panetheon skin, while with Kayle, you sort of have that unmasked Samus thing going on. As for Kayle, I'd say her big reads being her wings and sword trump the helmet/no helmet thing. It's a neat aspect to her, but I don't think it's as equal value to her wings and sword. Just my opinion though.

CragBlade

10-06-2013

I actually use Glaive Warrior Pantheon because it gives him more personality. I almost feel like the skin is what default Pantheon should look like anyway.

I would personally love a VU just so they can give most of his recolors the Garen and Yi treatment. They should all have vastly different shields and spears, all the skins should have their own personality. You only get his "personality" from his joke and even then its just a joke centered around the movie 300.

I wish Pantheon had more actual lines rather than a bunch of Spartan quotes. I know he is a cool spartan guy and I love him for that, but I wish he had actual personality.

Maerala

10-06-2013

Well it would certainly add some variety. A lot of his skins seem to have the same or at least very similar concept or theme.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2013
8 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalGiant View Post
I actually use Glaive Warrior Pantheon because it gives him more personality. I almost feel like the skin is what default Pantheon should look like anyway.

I would personally love a VU just so they can give most of his recolors the Garen and Yi treatment. They should all have vastly different shields and spears, all the skins should have their own personality.
I'm in agreement about the skins. Recolors are a big playground for us. I'd like to give his weapon and shield, base or otherwise, some personality. Base wise, if Targon is all about relic melee weapons, maybe we should figure out how to make his special.

CragBlade

10-06-2013

Quote:
I'm in agreement about the skins. Recolors are a big playground for us. I'd like to give his weapon and shield, base or otherwise, some personality. Base wise, if Targon is all about relic melee weapons, maybe we should figure out how to make his special.
He is a famed warrior, supposedly the strongest of his kind right? Maybe there is a spear that gives men the might of hundreds and he was given that weapon after besting people in the arena mentioned in his lore so that he can show those in the institute and the league what true might and honor looked like.