Pause Function Abuse in Championship Games

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cavo

09-28-2013

They have everything recorded I'm sure. They'd be able to review it after the game to see if the mouse really was skipping on the screen.

Sejo Mino

09-28-2013

The Current System is working as far as i can see. Players don't get the choice to pause until the refs give the ok. If they do it without pointing it out then they will be penalized for it. It is up to the refs to give out the information.

Check the Rule Page at the E Sports site.

VVolfman

10-03-2013

They should just put in code where everyone has to be out of combat on your team for the pause to happen. So if you pause mid fight it will pause if all your team manage to get out of combat. This is similar to kicking the ball out in soccer. If you do no realize your mouse is working at the exact time of a player vs player fight that is your own fault.

Tiza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eSports Coordinator

10-03-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

I completely agree that ill-timed pauses could affect the integrity of the game. However, an opportune pause has less impact than the damage of a completely ruined teamfight. If a player's peripheral or connection has a problem, they can potentially be completely helpless in a teamfight. A teamfight death could literally make or break a game in a drastic and measurable way. We never want equipment failure or any external problems to decide a game.

Players actually have the ability to pause whenever they suspect a problem. We have their voice chat monitored and recorded, their faces are all on the player cams from the broadcast, and we have referees standing right behind them. *Lemondogs lost a ban during group stage (against OMG, no less) due to a pause-related infraction. Pauses are very strictly controlled, and players are well aware of the consequences of an illegitimate pause. We thoroughly scrutinize every pause to make sure that any kinds of cheating on unfair play is prevented or punished. So far, no teams have even attempted anything malicious involving pauses.

Purgatory Ace

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotTiza View Post
Fnatic lost a ban during group stage (against OMG, no less) due to a pause-related infraction.
Fnatic lost their ban due to trading champs after the alloted time given. They said this in the stream. All team members are required to finish trades with at least 20 seconds left on the clock. This was a rule picked up this year for the world championships. I believe korea already had this rule in place.

And it was against SSO, not OMG. Fnatic and OMG were in completely different group stages.

Tiza

eSports Coordinator

10-03-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purgatory Ace View Post
Fnatic lost their ban due to trading champs after the alloted time given. They said this in the stream. All team members are required to finish trades with at least 20 seconds left on the clock. This was a rule picked up this year for the world championships. I believe korea already had this rule in place.

And it was against SSO, not OMG. Fnatic and OMG were in completely different group stages.
Misremembered the team - LD lost a ban vs. OMG due to a pause infraction. You are right about Fnatic losing the ban because of the trading. =)

Archiplex

10-03-2013

Can i ask why the 20 second pick rule was created? What does it intend to battle?

Solari Brigadier

10-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiplex View Post
Can i ask why the 20 second pick rule was created? What does it intend to battle?
It's for the benefit of the production, so they can cut back to the casters while the game loads with the security of knowing that nothing on the champ select screen (besides masteries/runes/summoners) will change while they're not showing it. It also allows the graphics operators plenty of time to get the champion graphics in the right place above the players.

Waschbar

10-03-2013

Those might be good reasons, but they aren't the reason. Its so players can properly set runes and masteries to their specific matchups.

simpsonboy77

10-06-2013

During the pause everyones screen should lose information. Current hp, mana, cooldowns, minimap, vision from outside your champion. You also should be unable to move your mouse, or on unpause, the mouse should snap to where it was prepause. This makes it so you cant line up a skillshot while it is unpausing.