Undeniable proof LP gains are broken

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Socrates

Systems Designer

09-30-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf 67 View Post
So I am Gold 1, 99 LP and I just won a game. And I got 0 LP. Ok, I've seen this before, it means my MMR isn't high enough to get to plat yet. That would make sense, except for the Elise in my game.

I was 3rd pick, and the Elise was 4th pick. That means my MMR is higher than hers, right? Yet she was in her promo games already. In fact, winning the game promoted her to plat. Yet me, with higher MMR than her didn't even get into a promo series from the win.

I don't know how Riot can justify this one. Please bump if you want Riot to get rid of this ridiculous system for season 4.

EDIT: So I thought the people saying that a loss would unclamp you were nuts, but no, this system is even stupider that I thought. After my +0 LP game, I lost 2 in a row. I then won 1 game and got into a series. So after getting 0 LP for a win, I got +10 LP for a win WHEN I HAD LOWER MMR I challenge any red to come in here and explain how this makes sense.

FURTHER EDIT: It would seem from several people saying the same thing that once you get high enough MMR to get promos, you need to lose a game before it will let you get 100 LP. I would love to see a red comment on this.

Sorry for the weird colours, saving as a GIF does that for some reason.

I didn't think to SS after my +10 LP win, but you can see my match history and I have 100 LP now. I won't play a game for the next 8 hours at least, so there's lots of time to confirm this is all true. EDIT: Starting my promos now, so my LP total may no longer show 100.

EDIT: Apparently the Elise changed her name since our game. This is the link to her lolking, for those of you claiming I'm "hiding it" for some reason.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/437066#profile
Hey,

In the existing system a number of factors are taken into account when looking at whether a player is ready to start their promo games for the next tier, not just MMR. If you continue winning games you will start your promo series.

We are planning on some changes to make things more transparent and intuitive for next season though I can't go into detail on them just yet.

Socrates

t4tNoFp4Ve

09-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Socrates View Post
Hey,

In the existing system a number of factors are taken into account when looking at whether a player is ready to start their promo games for the next tier, not just MMR. If you continue winning games you will start your promo series.

We are planning on some changes to make things more transparent and intuitive for next season though I can't go into detail on them just yet.

Socrates
Translated as: not even us have the idea why LOSING A GAME basically gets you in promo series, while WINNING gets you 0 LP

Thx

Sizmic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-30-2013

Quote:
Hey,

Socrates
Short answer,

If you're lucky enough to slip though a crack in they system you get ahead of players even if they are better than you.

41noob

09-30-2013

Quote:
so what you're saying is that even though he has the mmr of a plat player he doesn't deserve it?

what...if you have the mmr, you should clearly be getting it, there should be no other variables.

if you have plat mmr you shouldn't be getting 0 lp. that's confirming the system is broken.

Grey Wolf

09-30-2013

Socrates, Riot should just accept that many of us hate the LP system. Especially when you realize why you put it in place.

eaglei3

09-30-2013

Quote:
Hey,

Socrates

Translation: The current system throws darts when you get close. If it hits the Rare bullseye, it lets you go into Promos. If not, you must win another match for it to throw another dart to try again.

Riot Socrates

Systems Designer

09-30-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41noob View Post
so what you're saying is that even though he has the mmr of a plat player he doesn't deserve it?

what...if you have the mmr, you should clearly be getting it, there should be no other variables.
Since players can't be demoted currently once they achieve a tier, the original design needed to be fairly sure a player could consistently play at the level of the tier they were entering or things would get out of alignment fairly quickly and the upper tiers would get bloated.

That said clamping as a whole is a pretty confusing / frustrating experience and it's something we want to address in season 4.

TaNKeD

09-30-2013

^

As far as I'm concerned everybody from Silver II to Plat III is around the same skill level

Zdravko TERA

09-30-2013

Quote:
Since players can't be demoted currently once they achieve a tier, the original design needed to be fairly sure a player could consistently play at the level of the tier they were entering or things would get out of alignment fairly quickly and the upper tiers would get bloated.

That said clamping as a whole is a pretty confusing / frustrating experience and it's something we want to address in season 4.

It's a good thing someone can go 4-6 while feeding every game in their placements and make it into Silver then right?

Silver is the worst since the League systems, there's more players in Silver than any other League and it's thanks to the dumb placements, it's the worst League of them all.

I see people who are probably gold skill level playing with potato factory V tier quality players almost every game. The gaps in skill levels between the 10 players in each Silver game is astounding because of placements. I once had an Ashe with 36cs at 29 minutes, had 13 games played total was Silver IV. I'll never forget that Ashe that was ranked higher than me at the time.

The only reason games are somewhat playable are because at least there's usually one of those mega feeders with less than 20 games played total on each team.

Kijitow

09-30-2013

Quote:
Hey,

Socrates
Just bring back Elo. Please!

I don't even want to touch ranked because of how frustrating this new system is.