Plat player's opinions on Jinx - Pros and Cons, Build, Playstyle, and Teamcomps

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Steelflame

09-27-2013

Hi, Plat level player here, posting his opinion on the new champion, Jinx, on the PBE, after a few games with her there. Going to go over her pros, cons, builds, playstyle, and the type of teamcomp you would pick her into or against optimally. Also, an alternate version on the new beta forums here.

I personally consider her, in her current state to be very strong, probably slightly OP. Mostly needs some number tuning I think for this on a few of her base damages and perhaps base AD, but assuming this happens, I would say she would be in a fine, balanced state with very few changes.

Pros - Unholy damage, very low CD global ulti, really good mana cost, high poke/execution potential.

Cons - Very conditional mobility, very prone to assassins/focus due to having no method of protecting herself from targets who can instant gap close. Team comp needs to be formed somewhat around protecting her, think of her like a Kog'maw, just with more mid game, and less late game overall.

Build - She has massive AD ratios. She has a VERY strong mid game AS steroid, letting her focus on that raw AD till later on.

First item - This means you want to focus on AD, especially early game. This means that for first items, she wants a BT. BoRk has very low AD on it, and the active is pretty low range nowadays. Just stat comparisons, her Q by rank 9 has a 130% AS steroid. This means that BorK's 40% AS is very weakly felt. Her Q rockets have an 1.1 AD multiplier on them, and AoE, while the BorK passive won't be AoE'ed. Note that the Lifesteal is not applied to the AoE, only the initial hit, regardless of item. She has a 1.4 AD ratio on Q, and 100 AD from BT is 140 damage more on it, vs just a very weak ~32 damage from BorK. While Bork has a very strong active, she should NOT be in range to ever use it. While you could start working on IE this early, it is heavily delaying her really strong mid game and AD ratios. She doesn't have low enough CDs to be a Trinity user, and most of the stats are wasted overall, and it is much more expensive. Phage may give a stronger lane for a very short duration, but it isn't worth the lack of building into anything good on her. Obviously, get boots upgraded by the time you finish this off. Bezerker's is probably the only choice on this matter short of some pretty extreme circumstances otherwise pushing it to Mercs/Swifties/Tabi.

Second item - At this point, you now have a massive AD item in BT. You are starting to hit the point of the game your Q is in it's prime, with it's 130% AS steroid. You haven't really start to felt your very bad AS per level kick in too hard, meaning you can still focus on more damage. At this point, you have three major options, although I will say most likely you will be going with the first one. Option 1 : Last Whisper. You can heavily utilize it's easy build path, decent AD, and great Arpen. At this point in the game, teamfights are starting, and most likely you will spend most of your time hitting their front line, so the Arpen is prefered. With you very high base damages, the Arpen is being maximized quite heavily. Option 2 : Infinity Edge. This is a choice you make vs a teamcomp that is mostly squishies, or if you want to maximize your AA damage against a low armor team. This synergizes very heavily with the next item you will be getting if you do get it now, but it is nearly 1.75x the price of option 1. Good if you are snowballing. Option 3 : Youmoo's Ghostblade. This item is great for a very heavy midgame focus on objectives/towers, as well as a self peel option via it's active. Good synergy with Rocket form via giving her a strong AS steroid. It also will give you slightly more damage vs squishies, and works well with an IE. Most likely will negate option 1 of your Third Major item.

Third item - This item heavily depends on the previous item you got. By this point, you are going to start feeling your bad AS per level, and the lack in safety in your shorter range form means you will not be able to use it as much. Option 1 : Sword of the Divine. This option synergizes very well with a previously purchased IE or LW. This is for when you want to be able to wipe out a single target very fast, good if you are split pushing. This leads to you having very high burst for an ADC in cannon form with AoE crits, and helps lead to passive procs which heavily boost your safety. Great for times where you are heavily focused on picking a single target off as well, or for when you need very strong dueling ability. Option 2 : Infinity Edge. This is an option if you got LW or Ghostblade previously, and want to focus on making your autos and abilities in general stronger. This leaves you with very low AS if you got LW, so it works best if you have a teammate who can give her a nice AS steroid to help negate it. With Ghostblade, you have a very nice AS steroid still, but only for a few seconds. Good option if you still feel safe in minigun form, either due to great peel on your team's part, or the enemy team lacking hard initiation/gap closers. Option 3 : Last Whisper. A choice if you got Infinity Edge earlier, and they are going heavy armor stack. You still have the low AS problems of option 2. Option 4 I feel pretty iffy on this one, but I suppose it is another possible upgrade from the BT/LW start. Raunan's Hurricane has a much more consistent AS boost over Sword of the Divine, and has the AoE procs of her Q doubled in value (remember, hurricane halves the damage of the side bolts). Has a massive mana cost though to use your Q cannon form. This is only an option if you have not gotten any crit up to this point, due to how crit will match it in value overall as you get more easily.

Fourth item - Most likely a defensive item. You are pretty unsafe ADC, if you haven't gotten defense by this point, you will now. Options are pretty limited, due to being an ADC and needing to maximize a single item slot. This means GA for general protection, Randuins for armor focus, Spirit Visage/Banshee for magic resist.

Fifth item - This is mostly for filling any gaps you have up to this point. If you have BT, LW, IE, you will most likely finish with a PD or Sword of the Divine, based on more overall damage, or single target pick off focus. If you have BT, IE, and SotD, you will probably grab LW. If BT, Ghostblade, and IE, you could get LW if they have a lot of armor you want to pen, or just grab PD if you don't need to pen a lot and want the consistent AS+Crit (pushing you to a total of 70% crit). If BT, LW, SotD, grab IE to get the crit bonus. For the most part, you are filling in what you don't have of the core build of IE, BT, LW, and some significant AS item.

TL;DR of this section - Core of IE, BT, LW, situational AS item and defensive item. Item order is heavily variable after her first major item, BT, based on quite a few circumstances of the game.

Ok, so that is items finished (sorry for that great wall of china right there, but I try and be in depth to explain my reasonings for everything, as smart dynamic builds win games in my eyes).

Playstyle (don't worry, no wall of China here) - High damage poke/objective focused ADC, that has strong lane bully potential. Faintly stronger on purple team due to a safer lane compared to blue side, and has access to the powerful trick all ADCs who have more than or equal to 650 range have access to, the ability to attack Baron over the back wall of his pit. Massive passive AS steroid on Q leads to a very strong early/mid game objective control due to insane clear speeds on tower/dragon kills. Lack of dependable mobility means she needs to play very safe, and only go all in when she can chain her passive procs to keep very high speed boost going to give her strong kiting potential.

Teamcomps - Heavily favors the old fashioned "protect the Kog" style team comp, due to her low mobility, and high range, as well as the fact she has some of the highest AoE auto attack damage potential in the game, if not flat out the highest.

Support preferences - Heavily likes peel heavy supports for the laning phase. Lulu has strong synergy with Help, Pix! having good synergy with Jinx's Q and her high peel potential keeping the mad girl safe. Thresh provides the significantly lacking access to an escape with Dark Passage, and synergizes with her really aggressive style in lane due to his strong CC and peeling potential once it comes time to protect her in the mid game. Janna's massive peel, and her AD steroid on her shield, both provide a lot of helpful things for Jinx. Between the 50 AD boost making her W and R hit significantly harder, and the fact that Janna can probably keep just about everything/everyone off of Jinx, she can give her some much needed protection.

General team comp - A strong disengage/teamfight control comp with good poke is what I feel would be most favorable to a Jinx ADC. One of the previously listed supports, someone like Nidalee/Orianna/Zyra mid, and a top and jungle with strong protection/disengage capabilities. Jinx has some disengage of her own with her strong slow, and her snare, which when combined with others on her team who can provide zone control, could lead to a very very dangerous teamfight for the enemy. Can also work with an AoE comp in her current state, via Q AoE crits, plus her ulti AoE being decently sized. Especially if said ulti hits a low hp target in front.

Things to avoid as Jinx - Really strong gap closer/engage enemies. Leona Support would, I think, be a tough one for her in the lane, and while she is strong with AoE comps, she also is weak to them herself if she gets caught in any of it at all due to her lack of mobility, which results in her being very easy to pick off early in a fight. If she gets hit by a single initiation CC in such a comp, most likely she will go down very quickly. She also doesn't handle strong engage enemies well. Vi would be a very strong jungler vs her, Zed would have a lot of assassination potential vs her, and general hard engage isn't fun for her. Zac and Jarvan would also be pretty brutal to her.

TL;DR for the Teamcomp section - She loves high protection comps, and works with AoE/zone control ones as well so long as she can be protected within those. Think Protect the Kog, or something like the C9 super-frontline teamcomps. Dislikes strong engage on the enemy team due to lack of mobility on her own part. I would play her like a higher damage Ashe or Varus, with a little less utility.

TL;DR overall - High damage, low mobility. Possibly highest AoE damage of an ADC, trades mobility/safety for it. While a strong pick, would not work well vs strong engage/assassination team comps, working well in poke/zone control/protection comps.

Thanks for the read if you actually made it this far. I'll answer any questions I can, note that this is a very early look at her overall, based on my knowledge of quite a few mechanics, and from what I saw in her play style on the PBE in her current state. Accuracy of this by the time of her release is highly likely to change, just due to balance changes before she goes live from her very early state.

Steelflame

09-27-2013

Bumping this, just because I don't want it to die off after how much effort I just put into it, lol.

Sticky Yurple

09-27-2013

Isn't there a PBE forum?

Steelflame

09-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Yurple View Post
Isn't there a PBE forum?
Is that stopping the massive flood of Jinx related post in GD? Thought so.

xThePlayMakerx

09-27-2013

Great post.

N3v3r3nd

09-27-2013

Can't wait for her release. Overall do you plan on using her?

Sephorai

09-27-2013

Eh I think your Better off rushing the IE first. Sure you miss out on 25 AD but 250% AoE crits just sounds WAY too delicious

Steelflame

09-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3v3r3nd View Post
Can't wait for her release. Overall do you plan on using her?
Perhaps in the Ranked team I am planning on doing with a few other plats, but not I wouldn't trust her as much in solo queue unless we had a strong comp for it by the time I got to pick her. She is definitely a late pick ADC, due to how easy it is to counter her out with quite a few champs in other lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorai View Post
Eh I think your Better off rushing the IE first. Sure you miss out on 25 AD but 250% AoE crits just sounds WAY too delicious
Rushing that cost an additional 1.6k gold (assuming a Vamp scepter). It isn't exactly easy to rush it, especially over just a BT into a follow up item. When you phrase it like this, you are not losing out on 25 AD, but 75 AD's worth in gold, and the stronger sustain at a point it is more important.

MsPudding

Sentient Pudding

Follow MsPudding on Twitter

09-27-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hurr--Hurricane. MUHAHAHAHAH~

Spitsonkittens

09-27-2013

Meanwhile, on the PBE forums

12345 ... 6