so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Commando Yi

09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDragon View Post
Hey Riot Chezai,

Not sure if you answered this question already, but I have a problem. I applied to the Game Design summer internship, and got rejected most likely due to my lack of field experience as I literally have none. But that's kinda the problem though. No internship has ever hired me because I have no experience, despite internships being the thing you're supposed to get experience from in the first place! How would I get Riot, or any other game company for that matter, to say "oh man, this will be his first internship, but maybe we should still consider him. I have a small portfolio of games I've worked on as personal projects, but it's far from impressive as I'm just one guy and a full-time student.

TL;DR: In Riot's eyes, how do I stick out from the crowd when going for an internship with 0 prior work experience.
it's a catch 22 my friend

you need experience to get the jobs that allow you to get experience

my advice? start doing stuff on your own or work for "free" to gain valuable experience that you can use to market yourself

i find i learned the most valuable skills when i started doing my own software development at home for some personal projects

as an example, if you want be a developer, there's nothing stopping you from churning out mobile applications for iphone and adroid

Ohwhynot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2013

Hi, I just wanted to say that I've wanted to work at Riot since I was back in college, and that every time I finish a contract I make sure to put in an application to see if I can get in. I'm a software developer who has been working in mobile applications development, so I applied for the mobile position, as well as gameplay analyst because that would be amazing, and I at least meet the minimum qualifications for it.

Basically just posting here in the hopes that it helps make my resume stand out that you remember the summoners name from somewhere, if you come across it at least.

Anywho, keep up the great work, we definitely appreciate the work you put in speaking with the community.

TheXthDoctor

09-22-2013

Chezai, you're still hovering in this thread?

I came here because I discovered the NA shoutcasting opening, and have submitted my resume/application. Not really sure if I can score any bonus points or whatever to get my name any more favor with the eSports department, and I'll just have to let my shoutcasting VODs speak for themselves. If I give you some [fluffy chocolate chip] cookies, will you put my name at the top of the stack? (totally not a bribe, and I definitely have cookies, and will definitely bring them to every live production day at the studio if I'm brought on)

I guess I'm just happy the opportunity presented itself. New NA shoutcaster incoming. Look out for The Doctor. ^_^

edit: after reading back through the OP, I realized I had the same problem at first where I didn't attach everything to the application at first. Well, actually, I *had* attached a resume, but it was my normal resume that has just the normal [and boring] stuff on it [that's completely unrelated to LoL and shoutcasting]. I panicked and withdrew the application because I didn't want to submit something that was incomplete. After a couple of days, I had typed up a shout-casting specific resume with references to my previous LoL-related work (specifically, I pointed to my previous shoutcasting experience and setting up a LoL club at my university, and of course that's not something you normally want on a resume unless it's related to the kind of job you're applying for.) I also included a sort of wall-of-text introduction/summary at the top of the resume that, in retrospective, should have probably been expanded and put into a cover letter instead.

So... 2 more questions:

After fixing all the attachments to how I wanted them, I went back to resubmit, and the system thought I still had an application even though I withdrew the initial application. Can I somehow find out the status on my application just to make sure it's submitted how I wanted it to?

edit2: taking out the question that was here because I found the answer on the LinkedIn page. quote:
"p.s. You still have time to edit as the shoutcaster applications won't be looked upon till after Worlds (Source. Deman)"

edit3: Not sure if you would know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. The current listing is for 2 separate shoutcasting applications for NA and EU. Does that mean there are actually 2 slots to be filled, or is it that Riot is considering filling Jason Kaplan's now vacated spot on either continent depending on the responses (read: applicants) they get?

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-26-2013
100 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omen View Post
Hi Chezai,

I've been applying to Riot since before the recruiting website got completely revamped and I've noticed the new website is pretty buggy in certain areas. My hope is to shed light on certain issues I've had with the site and I hope you guys can address them to make the application process a lot smoother.

One time I was filling out an application at a different location and then I had to head home. So I submitted what I had completed so far with hopes of finishing it when I got home. When I got home, the application I had submitted was no longer the same, it was a minimal version of the original one without the role specific questions attached to it. So I figured I messed up by submitting an unfinished application so I figured I could withdraw it and start over. But when I clicked withdraw, it just left the application frozen there on the list but never removed it from the database. This didn't allow me to re-apply to the same role and make a new and complete application.

So based on that event, there are already 2 things that should probably be improved on the new website. You should have a way to revisit an unfinished application and fill the areas you were missing. Like give the option to save progress instead of only the submit application option. I don't know if you guys have added something like this since then but it would be very helpful. On the other hand, if you click withdraw, that entry should be removed from the system and allow you to resubmit a new application for the same role. You shouldn't be excluded from applying to that role just because you withdrew the current application you had for it. What if you want to start it again? From scratch?

Another thing I noticed when I've returned to update my Resume/Cover Letters is that there were these new check boxes on the already submitted applications that were asking if I had permit to work in the US and the option for "No" was checked on by default... So basically I went back through each one of my 5 applications and checked the "Yes" option and saved them out. When I had originally submitted those applications, that question wasn't available and I worry that because the "No" option was checked by default... that possibly my applications were never even considered due to the system blacklisting me for answering "No" to the job permit question by default by the system...

Anyway I hope some of these issues have already been reported but if not I hope you guys can address them in the near future.
Hey Omen,

Thanks for bringing these issues to my attention. They are known issues that we're currently working on with our third party vendor. I understand that these problems are frustrating and trust me when I say I greatly appreciate your level-headed analysis of the situation.

With regards to withdrawing an application, it's a manual process at the moment. You would have to contact Rioters on our LinkedIn page who then go into the system to withdraw the application. Definitely not ideal, but we're working on it!

To my knowledge, the 'are you eligible' question does not discount your application as that informs the system of a potential need for a work visa.

Thanks again for your help, Omen. Greatly appreciated

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-26-2013
101 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrak View Post
Hey Chezai,

I read only through half of the post, so I'm sorry if I ask something that has already been answered. I'm mexican and currently in my second year of what would be the equivalent of Comp-Sci (it's called engineering here) and my goal is to work in the game industry. Being realistic, most of the industry is based in the US. Considering this I'm trying to focus my education around the requirements these companies ask for. However, it's difficult since most of my teachers are unfamiliar with game design/technology or at least not as profficient as some universities up there are. So, based on this, I have some questions:

-For the Game Design/Technology area, which I'm interested in, what should I focus on? What do you value the most? (besides knowing C++)
-How likely is the hiring of a foreigner within Riot or any other videogame company? I mean, why would you hire someone from outside when you can hire an Ivy league/MIT graduate.
-Is there any chance to apply for an Internship at Riot as a mexican?

Thanks a lot for reading through this. This would really help me, and sorry if my english is a bit rusty.
Hey Nimrak,

Your best bet is to build a strong CS background and do your research on the industry [it's constantly changing].

Game Design isn't necessarily directly related to Technology. Not all Game Designers have backgrounds in CS or tech/ With regards to Technology, the industry is always changing and you have to be on top of it yourself. I can tell you what's hot at the moment and where you might use it, but you'll have to figure out what part of game dev you want to get into. You have HTML, JAVA/javascript, Flash, Flex, C++, C, C#, ASP .NET, Python, Actionscript, etc. That's mainly for the front-end/core/platform/in-game UI stuff. It goes deeper! I suggest figuring out what part of game dev you want to get into and figure out the necessary skills needed. JAVA is something that's used across the board so it might be worth investing time in

Hiring at Riot [I can't speak to other companies] is not focused all on the school you come out of. It's based mainly on your merits, growth potential, personality, and technical ability. Hiring non-US citizens is something we don't mind doing if we find the right person.

With regards to internships, you have to be eligible to work in the US to be considered. Your best bet would be to check out the internship page on the Riot Games website as it'll be updated if things change.

Hope this helps!

theplague1369

09-26-2013

I may have accidently sent in an application, and it wasn't really worthy of sending in. I am not very qualified, and i kind of filled it out partially without thinking, and i might have accidently submitted it. If you guys happen to get my application, feel free to get rid of it, i would love to work in Player Behavior for Riot more than anything else i can think of, but i probably don't have the qualifications.

Rolia

09-27-2013

Hello Chezia,

I would like to be a part of the game industry as someone who works more on balance of the game or helping to build, add on to, change, etc. mechanics of the game and game play and make sure the game is healthy. With that said, I'm not particularly interested in the programming side of games, is there a specific field/degree for that type of job? Basically I want to be a Morello I guess or any of his balance lackeys.

EDIT: Also, what kind of schools would bigger companies like you guys recommend/recognize as good schools (mainly 100% online ones if possible) that I should look into if there is a type of degree for that kind of game design (I guess that's what that would be called.)

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-27-2013
102 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDragon View Post
Hey Riot Chezai,

Not sure if you answered this question already, but I have a problem. I applied to the Game Design summer internship, and got rejected most likely due to my lack of field experience as I literally have none. But that's kinda the problem though. No internship has ever hired me because I have no experience, despite internships being the thing you're supposed to get experience from in the first place! How would I get Riot, or any other game company for that matter, to say "oh man, this will be his first internship, but maybe we should still consider him. I have a small portfolio of games I've worked on as personal projects, but it's far from impressive as I'm just one guy and a full-time student.

TL;DR: In Riot's eyes, how do I stick out from the crowd when going for an internship with 0 prior work experience.
Hey CSDragon,

I feel for you. I've been in a similar situation.

Getting experience nowadays is more of a "I will take initiative" thing. You not only have to recognize and find opportunities, you have to create them. For example: you're a full-time student who's worked on personal projects. Cool. You're part way there. Now go find small studios who need/want students to work for them [either due to budgeting or because they want a certain perspective]. Paid or unpaid, you're getting experience that you cannot get from school or working on your own projects. Does this mean going outside of 'internship applications' and asking to do unpaid work? Yes. Definitely. It's not easy. Just remember that if you're not comfortable or aren't willing to do it, someone out there will take/create these opportunities for themselves.

Don't play to the tune of a single company. Learn and develop skills which will help you do what you want to do and if you end up at a company you want to be at, all the better.

NoxiousIce

09-27-2013

Hello Riot Chezai,

Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoroughly to this thread and interact with the community. I'd imagine that it is taking up quite a bit of your time, and it is much appreciated.

My question basically boils down to: How do I become Xypherous or Xelnath?

Not literally of course, but how do I go from very little education (currently working on my associates in English at a community college,) to doing what they do? I love reading then entirety of every re-work thread, and I love reading the responses that they write. It's wonderful to see what is currently being worked on, and what problems are being tackled at the moment.

I love participating in those threads as well because it's a mental exercise in problem solving for something that I am deeply passionate about (games, I love my board games just as much as my video games). It's a bit disappointing when I cant directly see the effects that the experimentation and iteration have on the game, but that's one of the great things about that job (at least that's what my experience in HS robotics tells me). I'm sure that they have other duties as well, and I'm fairly certain that it includes a bit of programming (though I suppose that you would know better than I, and they even better than you,) so what exactly should I be looking in terms of education and acquiring experience if that's what I want to do?

It doesn't have to be at Riot Games specifically, but it would be awesome if it ends up that way, sometimes it's just a little difficult knowing what the next few steps are, I really am hoping you can help point the way.

Thanks for your time,
Noxiousice

Mughi of Ruckus

09-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey CSDragon,

I feel for you. I've been in a similar situation.

Getting experience nowadays is more of a "I will take initiative" thing. You not only have to recognize and find opportunities, you have to create them. For example: you're a full-time student who's worked on personal projects. Cool. You're part way there. Now go find small studios who need/want students to work for them [either due to budgeting or because they want a certain perspective]. Paid or unpaid, you're getting experience that you cannot get from school or working on your own projects. Does this mean going outside of 'internship applications' and asking to do unpaid work? Yes. Definitely. It's not easy. Just remember that if you're not comfortable or aren't willing to do it, someone out there will take/create these opportunities for themselves.

Don't play to the tune of a single company. Learn and develop skills which will help you do what you want to do and if you end up at a company you want to be at, all the better.
So basically if you're one of the lucky few who can afford to work for someone for free, first you have to find someone who will let you work for them for free for a while. You know, just so you can have the experience necessary to start from the bottom.

I hope you have at least some appreciation for how terrible this sounds. It's difficult enough for many people to be able to afford to work for free, leave alone to be able to do so twice. If this is just the way things are nowadays, it's because it's the way companies and recruiters, like Riot and your department, have made them. Blaming the fact on "how things are" is disingenuous at best. Well, no, I'm sorry. There are people who simply seem oblivious to the fact (no offense to them), and they can't be blamed much, but I do hope they learn.

I wonder sometimes how many people who work at these companies now would have been able to get started in their career if these had been standards 20 years ago.