I知 Ransom. Writer on Zac and the upcoming champion (#116). AMAA!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IonDragonX

09-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
I知 from Texas. So obviously, my dream is to get more cowboys and cowgirls in this game.
So you WILL be making Cowpoke Thresh?! Lasso tricks, cast-iron hooded lantern and bow-legged mosey? White chaps with black spots? Recall animation with a mechanical bull?

Quote:
Good question. She is chaotic neutral.
I've defined that alignment as 'crazy'. Neither moral nor amoral. Neither organized nor random. (Constant chaos is a form of order) They would "Just be there" if they weren't so "Just not there".

NA Darklarik

09-19-2013

Has riot ever considered doing another game? Like a RTS or RPG where you can go through Valoran customising your dude and meet people?

It would make lore telling a lot easier.

Spiritofryu

09-19-2013

ransom i like you i wont bad mouth you like i dont bad mouth xelnath. btw female champ make her a boss OK, OK BRO!! U GOT DAT BRO <3

pinguihome

09-19-2013

I'll save you the trouble of multiple questions and just ask you this.

Would you please tell us everything you are capable of saying, by law, about the upcoming champion #116?

Ixinar

09-19-2013

Ok. I have only one question, but some followup to it.
I cannot get over the fact, that the 'champion-driven' storytelling is replacing the overall story of the Runeterra. This world is more important, more unique and more beautiful than any individual champion backstory you've created. And it's descriptions aren't even on the League's main page anymore. I've fallen in love in Runeterra as a fantasy world. I want more. I want enough descriptions, art, music, to be able to write stories for this world without guessing what actually is there. The promised maps aren't there (well, there was some map for Freljord, beautiful one, but the in-game map wasn't ever updated).

My question is for the overall backstory of League. Where and why did it disappear?
Let me elaborate. We, the players, are Summoners. Or at least we should feel like them. The Freljord event let us side with one of the conflict sides, potentially showing our support - I really had high hopes for it, it almost made me believe that we, Summoners, will be relevant again. But then, the overall story of the world was never affected, and it made me feel like you completely missed the opportunity to show us, that Institute of War means anything.

More to the point. The champion driven-storytelling is not helping with immersing ourselves with the world. We see champions coming to league and siding with summoners, without any particular reason (The champions initially had something to gain through League, or were imprisoned, or summoned and couldn't get back), Syndra, Thresh and many more wouldn't want to be part of organization that resolves conflicts in Runeterra (and is also the greatest 'media' entertainer across Valoran).

Since Summoners should know what is happening in the world to be able to respond (Noxus and Ionia, anyone?) we are kept blind. Orianna's backstory hints that Champions are basically celebrities. I don't mind that, but wouldn't it mean some more storytelling opportunities, instead of... less of them? We stopped getting news from the Valoran, we don't see any more cool stories resolving around existing city-states... and we also got Twist of Fate cinematic that had Demonblade Tryndamere in it, no summoners and it didn't look like part of the world at all, did no writers from League were involved in creation of it? I mean, it looked cool from the technical and graphical standpoint, but it was such a big spin-off that the general idea for me was 'is it a non-canon fan creation'?

I want to believe in League writers, but again and again they seem to make things more confusing (I'm not even going into the whole 'let's rewrite champion stories and make them all not relevant to one another', there are enough people finding all the loopholes in champion biographies.)

Also, what I adressed in other place:
I know, that you writers don't want to 'close' any opportunity to make more beautiful future stories. But you should take some time to explain the setting to new (and old) players more. Hextech and Techmaturgy, Runemagic, Runewars, how the Summoning magic works, why some beings are so powerful yet are part of League? So many things that you could show us and make Runeterra more accessible, more alive and more user-friendly are basically turned time and time again into wasted opportunities.

Third draft of the same post... and I succumbed to rumbling. Sorry ; ( I guess I'm too passionate about Runeterra for my own good... also someone told me 'Who gives a f...? Just go play the damn game!'...

LoveSparkle

09-19-2013

Can we please just admit the new champion is called Seven yet?

Riot PLS. I need this champion.

danksz

09-19-2013

Quote:
I also come up with cool special projects like the Lucian login screen!
dude that login was sick. best login screen since I started playing LoL, around the time ziggs was released.

Solari Eclipse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2013

What I'm getting from these songs is that the character is some kind of mildly cheerful, unaligned, happy go lucky, punk pre-teen. So, Vi's little sister? Rito pls. I like the idea of more children champs. We only have, like, 2. There is definitely room to explore these character types. Bunch of directions we could go.

On a separate note, what time of the year was it for your journey across Spain? DId you get to participate in any cultural events going on at the time? Running of the Bulls, any of the like spring festivals, etc?

And can I play with you sometime?

TDS Spoderman

09-19-2013

will you be at worlds ?

Ransom

Creative Designer

09-19-2013
21 of 39 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Favorite champ?
You asked who my favorite is from a lore/concept standpoint, and I'm totally stumped. I'll instead answer by telling you my coworkers believe my spirit champion - the champion who most resembles me in spirit - is Shen. This is probably because a) I like to protect people and coming to their aid, and b) I also enjoy being sneaky and backdooring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyn Xael View Post
Where did you attend college? I am currently studying Professional Writing at the University of Oklahoma.
Congratulations on pursuing your passion. I went to college at Emory U. in Atlanta, and grad school at USC here in Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starii Evernight View Post
Have you seen my thread? :P
Of course I have. Fascinating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarent View Post
What is so special about this champ that makes her unique?
Her sense of humor is unlike anyone else's in the game. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koechophe View Post
1) When did you start writing? (As in, when did you actually start spending your spare time on writing things)
2) Do you like books? If so, what are some of your favorites?
When I was in third grade my teacher liked to make us write stories. I loved doing it so much that I never stopped, even though my stories were completely unoriginal rip-offs and parodies of movies I loved.

Some favorite books: The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway, Miss Wyoming by Douglas Coupland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingPhoenix34 View Post
What is your favorite role in the game?
Who would you say is your best character?
What would you say is your biggest weak point(s) are? (game play wise)
Mid. Morgana. My coworkers will be the first to tell you that my problem is lack of map awareness combined with failure to execute combos properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabonidus View Post
There's one notable archetype that is. sadly, neglected: The wizened old badass. Zilean is the closest we've got now, and he's not quite as awesome as he could be. So. long story short, WILL League Ever see its own Gandalf or Granny Weatherwax?
All I can tell you is that I personally would love to see something along these lines. But having pitched a ton of new champion concepts here, it would have to be the right character at the right time with the right stuff. And that is like catching lightning in a bottle. Sometimes it happens, as it did with Vi. It actually took Vi quite a few tries to become approved as a champion - but once we figured her out, it all came together really quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigeR View Post
Listening to all of these songs... I conclude... that champion #116 is...

A HISPTER!!!

Or maybe you are, Ransom? ._.
Man, you sound like Zileas. That guy hates hipsters. And yeah, she is pretty darn hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lajinn5 View Post
You're from Texas? What city?
Born in Lubbock, grew up in Richardson. Now my family lives in Plano.