I知 Ransom. Writer on Zac and the upcoming champion (#116). AMAA!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rockman

09-19-2013

Are we gonna see more lore releases like Quinn's?

123MainStr

09-19-2013

So since you're obviously a big shipper, how do you feel about slash pairings then?

Skyhawke

09-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
I have walked across the entire nation of Spain, from the French border all the way to the coast. Five hundred miles - about the same distance as San Francisco to Los Angeles. It took about 30 days.
Why were you in Spain? Did you live there at the time? Was this a religious thing? (I know a lot of Spaniards like to do pilgrimage-type things there).

Also, don't forget about that post about getting into writing for games! That's my goal right now and I'm looking for all the tips I can get.

Nellas

09-19-2013

Will there be a reveal for the next champion in the coming week?

Ransom

Creative Designer

09-19-2013
11 of 39 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaito Yuujou View Post
More on topic: Ransom, I've always loved the idea of skins representing different points in a champion's life (barring skins like the soccer skins and the TPA skins). Do you think we'll see stories that include showing a champion not with their default look?
I love this idea too. The trick here is that you have to plan really far in advance to make it work. You'd have to go going into making the skin and the CG that this is the plan from like, day zero. But that being said, if we could pull it off, it would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
Are there any plans for linking the large bits of lore and creating a focused storyline for S4? S3's lore was a good effort and well done, but it still feels like we're just adding snippets of information which is a huge break from the storyline of JoJ.

The War in Freljord, for example, serves to create a lot of backstory for the Ice Sisters, but hasn't gotten linked to any kind of political response or ramification from other major powers such as Demacia or Noxus. Are there plans to address the effects of the budding war, or at least garner reactions such as support or distrust from major players of the previously mentioned factions?
We're actively looking into delivering new ways and methods of pushing forward the stories for all champions, new and old, all the time. This is why teasers and crazy login screens and Freljord events are happening. So while it may not happen immediately, you can tell from recent history that we're clearly moving in this direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDudeMcDudeman View Post
Quick question - How do you feel about Aatrox now that he's in game, especially in regards to how his story and gameplay clash?

To elaborate; your story for Aatrox painted him to be a kind of fighter who focused on rallying his teammates, but his gameplay doesn't reflect that at all. Is that troubling for you, or are you fine with the clashing of gameplay and story?
We try our best with every champion, and ideally, theme and gameplay are always a perfect match. I think Aatrox delivers on the fantasy of being a powerful war demon - and that passive is terrifying in a way that really suits the big guy. I think you make a good point that his lore would seem to suggest that he have more abilities that rally his allies, and it was definitely a point of dicussion for the people who worked oh him. Personally, my feeling is that I want to make sure that the gameplay of a champion is rock solid, and not to write anything that would interfere with the kit. But we also want to tell a cool story. Sometimes these things are in perfect harmony, sometimes there is friction. That's the job.

Rivini

09-19-2013

Quote:
"How do I get a gig like yours?"
I'm working on a post about a) How to be a writer, and b) More specifically, how to get a job writing in games. Stay tuned.
I'll be waiting with bated breath.

Ransom

Creative Designer

09-19-2013
12 of 39 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawke View Post
Why were you in Spain? Did you live there at the time? Was this a religious thing? (I know a lot of Spaniards like to do pilgrimage-type things there).

Also, don't forget about that post about getting into writing for games! That's my goal right now and I'm looking for all the tips I can get.
Lol, yes it was a pilgrimage. The Camino de Santiago - it began as a Catholic pilgrimage, but it's become an epic adventure in its own right. I highly recommend it to anyone, because it will change your life. I was not living in Spain - it was just a long vacation.

And don't worry - I have a draft right here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MainStr View Post
So since you're obviously a big shipper, how do you feel about slash pairings then?
All of us writers at Riot believe that your preferred slash pairing defines you as a person.

PteraBite

09-19-2013

So is #116 an AP caster? A support?

Also, may we see song #3?

Fateborn

09-19-2013

Is the 116th champion, in term of definition, good or evil?

Battletick

09-19-2013

Quote:
I also co-founded a video game company, secured funding from a publisher, and shipped what might very well be the lowest-selling XBLA title of all time.
What's it called?