Just So-ism. And how it's ruining this game.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ternce

09-18-2013

Now you might be wondering, "What is Just So-ism? Why have I not heard this term before?"

Honestly, it's because a massive portion of this community suffers from it. You are almost guaranteed to get at least one teammate who suffers from it, and does not realize that they have it, or that they are even suffering from this affliction. Most experience it to a lesser degree than others, though it still noticeably alters their gameplay.

The best way to describe this affliction is by pointing out a very extreme example. Imagine a person who simply cannot function in life unless everything is exactly perfect, meticulous, and just so. Were you to walk over to their desk at work and move their stapler three inches to the right, they would glare at you, then immediately move it back as quickly as they could without seeming too awkward. Their day will simply not go as planned should they not have everything exactly as they imagine it should be. While they may be good at what they do in their own regard, they cannot adapt to change.

Examples of this you might commonly see in game: "Oh my god, Blitzcrank started with a mana crystal and a ward instead of a faerie charm 3 wards and pots". "Oh my god, our jungler started with a Doran's Blade!" "GG we have a support Nidalee".

Rather than adapting to the situation, players afflicted by Just So-ism will ruin their own gaming experience by leaving their confidence at the door and simply accepting that this is a lost game. In some cases, they will simply not try, though this isn't obvious. It's a subconscious thing where they feel they are doomed from the get go and whether or not they realize it, they make tons of mistakes simply because they are so fixated on the thing that is out of place.

In more extreme cases, they will purposefully ruin the game because of things they feel aren't right. "You're going to support as Alistar? What is this 2009?" The player then locks in as Swain, chooses revive and teleport, and declares jungle.

The point is, the reason the standard way of gaming hasn't shifted, and little change has come in the past few years is our attitudes as players, and the overwhelming cases of Just So-ism. We, as a community need to be able to let this go, and adapt to evolving playstyles, and cast aside our fear to try new things while having fun. Does it matter if the support chose Nidalee, Gangplank, Fiddlesticks, or Wukong? Absolutely not. Strategies that might not be optimal at first glance might prove to be invaluable.

An example in recent times is Jungle Nasus. People with extreme cases of Just So-ism would sometimes dodge a Nasus with smite. Within the last few months, popular opinion has changed and Nasus is now an acceptable jungler. While this is a best case example of how something unorthodox can be positive, we have to be able to let go of our preconceived notions and concentrate on our own individual skill as well as teamwork instead of letting things we don't think will work ruin our experience and the experience of our teammates. Our attitudes are a major deciding factor in not only victory, but the fun factor involved in this game.

TL/DR Quit being a nitpicker! Not everything has to be just so! Have some fun with your game, and learn not to let something unorthodox ruin your fun, and don't fall into the trap of berating someone simply because they are playing this game in a way that you are unaccustomed to.

B3ER

09-18-2013

Good read, explains a bunch of people.

A Retarded Clown

09-18-2013

+1, most players in this game cannot adapt and become useless the second conditions don't go EXACTLy as they need them to.

CrusaderAntonius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2013

This is a great thread for normals.

If you're going to bring "support' Nidalee into ranked... well... your team has a right to be upset.

Raptamei

09-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternce View Post
Examples of this you might commonly see in game: "Oh my god, Blitzcrank started with a mana crystal and a ward instead of a faerie charm 3 wards and pots". "Oh my god, our jungler started with a Doran's Blade!" "GG we have a support Nidalee".

(...)

TL/DR Quit being a nitpicker! Not everything has to be just so! Have some fun with your game, and learn not to let something unorthodox ruin your fun, and don't fall into the trap of berating someone simply because they are playing this game in a way that you are unaccustomed to.
There's a difference between doing unorthodox things (Quinn jungle, Lissandra top, ...) and doing blatantly inferior things.

Your Blitzcrank forces the carry to play extremely conservatively due to a lack of wards, which hurts his experience.
Your support Nidalee is useless during the endgame and will probably steal farm, which again hurts the team.

Picking something weak isn't reportable. Ignoring your team's requests to not make THEM suffer because YOU want to be a snowflake is reportable.

I suppose the Doran's Blade jungler doesn't hurt anyone else though.

Call Me Khal

09-18-2013

I saw this and immediately thought of Syrio Forel.
Just so.
The first sword of Braavos does not feed.

supergamewizard

09-18-2013

ya pretty much

Spitsonkittens

09-18-2013

wall of text with catchy title and a tl;dr

take all of gd's upvotes

bladeweed

09-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderAntonius View Post

If you're going to bring "support' Nidalee into ranked... well... your team has a right to be upset.
Honestly no, I don't think so. You should give people the benefit of the doubt. That's what the OP is talking about.

A lot of the time, unconventional picks do very well. It's like 50/50 whether that jungle orianna feeds or carries. Sometimes you're getting trolled, but a lot of the time it's just some weird dude that knows what he's doing.

The worst trolls I find take supposedly "OP" champs (Vayne, Zed, Ahri, whatever) and suck with them, then rage.

OlmStranger

09-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderAntonius View Post

I would suggest though, that if it was brought into ranked, that is even more reason to be flexible and work with it as best you can. Sure, in champion select if you'd rather not see it, persuade them to pick something else.

If they are dead-set on playing something 'unorthodox'... Well, you have two options. Dodge that game or do the best you can with it and make it work. Don't be that guy sitting there typing over and over "GG, this 'support' Nidalee".

(not saying you specifically do it, just furthering the great point behind this thread)