Matchmaking FAQ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ErikBathory

09-16-2013

Why in the hell am I being matched up with players that have 2-5 wins when I'm at 194 wins? Why was I the only one on my team with that many wins and the other team had 100+ wins? What kind of bull**** is this?

My Team

ErikBathory - 194 wins
Bedhead2020 - 4 wins
Beefsupream - 2 wins
ImK00n - 3 wins
Ra3mond - 3 wins

Enemy Team

botshop - 151 wins
Gimxzor - 71 wins
optic360dropshot - 207 wins
sleeeeeee - 42 wins
Alastor - 50 wins

Like are you ****ing serious?!?! What kind of matchmaking is this?

Giga Mode

09-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBathory View Post
Why in the hell am I being matched up with players that have 2-5 wins when I'm at 194 wins? Why was I the only one on my team with that many wins and the other team had 100+ wins? What kind of bull**** is this?

My Team

ErikBathory - 194 wins
Bedhead2020 - 4 wins
Beefsupream - 2 wins
ImK00n - 3 wins
Ra3mond - 3 wins

Enemy Team

botshop - 151 wins
Gimxzor - 71 wins
optic360dropshot - 207 wins
sleeeeeee - 42 wins
Alastor - 50 wins

Like are you ****ing serious?!?! What kind of matchmaking is this?
I'd like an answer to this Exekias. Because you're telling us:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Exekias View Post
Currently the matchmaker attempts to match players with similar matchmaking rating (referred to as MMR from here on out) and number of wins.
Is there an explanation for this?

rExekias

Game Design Intern

09-17-2013
11 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyWhoLived View Post
So for new accounts, how does the placement matchmaking work?
I was 4-1 going into a game and I got stuck with 2 people that were 1-4 in their placements for ranking. How on earth can we have close to the same mmr if I'm 4-1 and they're 1-4?
Are you referring to the initial ranked placement matches or matchmaking at like level 1?

Nokraenom

09-17-2013

Could a Red look at this thread and check whether it's intended Matchmaking behavior? It seems to promote frustration and toxicity:

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3871404

Solmane

09-17-2013

I find it hard to believe that matchmaking is based on mmr AND wins :/ it makes me sad when I have 1700+ wins and then find myself with 300 and under. (Norms).

What i find a problem with is the following

Matched with or against premades (Solo que... come on now.)

vastly different ammounts of wins (1700+ vs say 500 and under. I'd like at least 1000 minimum with an average of 1500+)

Ranked mmr not being a factor in norms. (Having or playing against higher ranked people is not the problem. I want to have a challenge and get better personally). The problem is that i find myself, for example, on a team with 1 diamond, myself silver (Don't want to mention the whole "I belong in a higher rank" deal), and then the rest say bronze. Meanwhile the other team may have like 3 plats, and 1 gold, 1 silver. It's very annoying when teammates make excuses and stuff based on that alone.

BIOWARESUCKS

09-17-2013

After being bronze 5 and just coming from a normal match with the enemy team having a 4man premade with 3 silvers in it, I find all the information you posted to be wrong.

BIOWARESUCKS

09-17-2013

Here, I made it a little easier to understand why your responses on the first page dont make sense to me:

http://imgur.com/a/2Yb2h

Their rank and normal wins are top left of the picture in title. Could you explain how someone like me would get thrown against a 4man like that?

Fuschnickens

09-17-2013

This is the worst problem facing LoL by far so why was it unstickied?

gamei

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2013

I would love to understand how my team of silver and bronze got matched up vs this: http://imgur.com/aEAqPIN

or this:

http://imgur.com/ByjB49u

One of my other friends has even more of these screenshots showing absolutely insane matchmaking. I only recently started tracking them.

On the second one, what was the system thinking? "I have a 4 queue vs a 4 queue. On one side we have 3 silvers and a bronze, on the other I gave them 2 plats, a diamond, and a silver. Let's see...I'll make the fifth person on team one an unranked person that was bronze in season 2, and on the second team they really need a gold 2 to make this even!"

I would appreciate some insight on how these matchups happen. Our queue times are routinely less than 30 seconds, often less than 15. All of us would gladly, gladly, gladly add another 2 minutes+ to our queue time to get into a game that isn't guaranteed to be a stomp.

We play about 4 nights a week, and I would say we get a matchup similar to this at least once an evening for 3 of our sessions. It is not fun. It is not fun. It is not fun. Are you reading this, someone at Riot? Look at how much money I've put into this game. I like your company, I am thinking about trying for an internship in a year, I would love to be better at the game, but not everyone can be. I really really like LoL. But being put into matches like this makes our group want to just stop playing. Please try to understand what it's like to go into a game and have a statistically insignificant chance of winning.

And for anyone that says don't check LoLNexus: whether or not we look at it doesn't change the ranking of the people involved. Even if I don't know someone is plat or diamond, they are still 10+ divisions ahead of me.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this(Exekias or anyone else). I want you to know that I understand you guys are busy, but I very much appreciate any effort you can make into alleviating our concerns regarding the matchmaking in LoL.

Uiraya

09-17-2013

So I just got demoted AGAIN because the Riot "Matchmaking" decided to put me with two guys who had EIGHT and FOUR wins AGAIN. I am at over 100. The lowest number on the enemy team was 57 AND IT WENT UP FROM THERE.

Not only is the matchmaking algorithm flawed enough to even let this happen ONCE, it is flawed enough to let this happen REPEATEDLY.

How difficult is it to produce one fair game?

I am fine with waiting longer. I generally wait about 45 seconds for a game that in some cases can be called in champ select, if not the first 8 minutes. Roflstomps in every direction. Implement FUNCTIONAL matchmaking and I am willing to wait 60 seconds. No, higher. Minute and a half. No, you know what? NO TIME LIMIT. I want this to WORK. When I hit play all I ask is four teammates who are about as good as I am and five opponents who are about as good as I am. I don't want to lose 7 of my last 8 games because every lane I'm not in has 2 deaths 5 minutes in because the only functioning subroutine in the matchmaker appears to be "screw this one guy over". (And when you're the jungler, THEN what?)

Suggested cases:
-People still in their placement matches FACE OTHER PEOPLE IN THEIR PLACEMENT MATCHES.

-When matchmaking pulls up a guy with 4000 games played this season, even if he is stuck in Silver. DON'T START THE GAME UNTIL YOU GET ANOTHER GUY WITH 4000 GAMES PLAYED THIS SEASON.

-AND THEN DON'T PUT HIM ON THE SAME TEAM AS THE FIRST GUY. I see this happen all the time. What the hell?

-Nothing makes a person want to hang themselves more than hearing "we're a duo, can we bot?". Because who needs damage and vision when you could have a combined 2/24 at 20 minutes? Either remove duos altogether, or set it so the lower of the two's mmr is set to the higher for the purposes of matchmaking. None of this averaging bs. And either stop inflating their mmr or make it so you can't have a duo on one team without a duo on the other. Why should only one team get an anchor?

In summary, matchmaking is a cruel farce at best and I would not be surprised if "pick ten random guys lol" was actual code within it. Complete overhaul with an emphasis on fairness and functionality pls. Then fix 4v5's and we might be ready to ship by the end of the year. Wait what
~Uiru