Matchmaking FAQ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Look I Suck OK

09-12-2013

DUO QUEUE NEEDS A MAJOR CHANGE.

I understand people like to play with their friends... but as everyone, even newbies, has likely learned, the level you are in game can have little to do with how good you are (i.e. smurfage). The way it is now, it seems, the two in the duo are averaged in level for matchmaking.

Look at the levels of the following two teams that were just matched, of which I was in the losing one.

LOSING : 20 20 22 23 25
WINNING: 25 24 26 30 5

I was one of the level 20's, laned against the 30 and 26. Having had bad games all day, I was getting upset, and doing worse, resulting in harsh flaming from others on the team.

A 30/5 duo... will screw everyone... because it goes by average. Friends want to play together? OK, well, take the two and put them in a match made for the higher. I.e., put them in with level-30s. Or, make it so they cannot duo unless they are within 3 or 4 levels of each other.

The key here isn't skill... it's RUNES AND MASTERIES. Having 10 more runes, and 10 more mastery points... well, that's a big deal, especially at the start of the game.

The level 30 was Varus, who had 86 attack damage with only a longsword at the beginning. And boosted mag resist and armor. The level 5... well, it was a Janna who went 2/5/5. Even if it was worse, that Varus could have carried that team straight over, around, and through us.

Not cool. Not cool AT ALL.

EDIT: Just had a look at the lv 30's profile, he's got full Tier-3 rune pages, full masteries. The page he was using in game, I assume, was:

Mag Resist +12
Phys Damage +8.5
Armor +13
Phys. Damage @ Level 18 +4.5
Move Speed +3.0%

I can barely afford one or two tier 3 runes, and he's got pages of them. And ten more. So yes, like I said, NOT COOL.

danksz

09-12-2013

I think an open conversation on matchmaking between Riot and the playerbase would be a positive. I understand Riots reluctance due to the nature of the forums and the complexity of matchmaking.

The fact remains though, MM has some serious flaws, and there are a lot of people experiencing frustration on a regular basis when playing this game. If Riot were to share some of the obstacles making it difficult to improve MM, that would alleviate a bit of the anger players are harboring toward Riot.

MM is a huge part of the way this game works, improving it benefits us all, including Riot. Identifying the isdues and tgeir cause is a conversation that in my opinion, is past due.

Purgation

09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBJam View Post
I think an open conversation on matchmaking between Riot and the playerbase would be a positive. I understand Riots reluctance due to the nature of the forums and the complexity of matchmaking.

The fact remains though, MM has some serious flaws, and there are a lot of people experiencing frustration on a regular basis when playing this game. If Riot were to share some of the obstacles making it difficult to improve MM, that would alleviate a bit of the anger players are harboring toward Riot.

MM is a huge part of the way this game works, improving it benefits us all, including Riot. Identifying the isdues and tgeir cause is a conversation that in my opinion, is past due.
Hear hear!

Ultimately the issue is whether playing is a good gaming experience. Right now at least, ranked soloqueue at lower tiers is a very frustrating and poor experience for many.

Cadmus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2013

Like the OP said.

I definitely agree lower tiers may not be "ELO Hell" but they sure can make you regret queuing up for a game sometimes.

Abic

09-12-2013

Execias. The ranked system is a joke. I'm placed in Bronze I'm ok with that. But when I'm finally about to rank up and you decide to place me with a team of four total newbs and think that I can just carry them to victory is a really stupid idea. I hope you realize all it takes is one player to completely throw a game by feeding any lane to the tiniest bit. That means that 20% of your team can make you lose. You are only 20% of your team in the game and you have to rely on the other 80% who can be total morons when it comes to playing to actually be ok and not have to be carried. But when your team does feed anything it just turns in to a mess of insults and hate, its not good for the community. Think about your ELO system and please change it. It's tearing the game apart piece by piece. We are degraded to people who can only insult each other now.

Look I Suck OK

09-12-2013

Now, two hours after my previous post, the second game after (took a rage break), here's another one.

WINNER: 16 21 24 9 30
LOSER: 20 20 22 25 25

Reinforces that it's not about skill. It's about a level 30 that can carry the heck out of their team. This one was Aatrox. He did not die in the match. There were gank attempts.

Meatflapz

09-12-2013

Quote:
While the matchmaker tries to create games in which the teams are balanced and have an even chance of winning, this is not always possible. As a result, the ultimate goal of the matchmaker is to be as accurate as possible in predicting the winner of the game,
First off why is this not always possible? I understand that this is an incredibly hard thing to do but why has the system not improved on this? Couldn’t you send out a warning beforehand? “Queue pool low matchmaking may be affected continue?”

You should put to a vote whether or not players would accept longer queue times for better matches. I bet they would.

Why does matchmaking need to predict the outcome at all? I think that is the biggest problem with your system. Matchmaking should match players according to skill and ability not who it thinks should win.

Lastly why do you have to rely on only one system couldn’t you blend aspects of different rubrics to improve your accuracy.

I know that tracking only wins and losses forces players to focus only on those aspects of the game but why bother tracking all of these stats if those are the only ones that count? You have access to so much information that is tracked every game why not tap into that to make better matches. If you want you can still tell players that wins and losses are the only thing that counts if you think it will affect player behavior that much.

Improving this is just good business. Better matches = Better player experience = More skins sold

Mothpriest

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2013

Sooooooooooo people that say openly in chat they are Smurfing and using that as a excuses to as why they are going a certain lane no mater what or why they are destroying u in lane and can talk **** to you can be banned??? Thats awesome information to know.

rExekias

Game Design Intern

09-12-2013
7 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
Expanding on this question: How do premades work in ranked?

Do individual players have an MMR for, say ranked 3's, and the overall team MMR for a given game is some kind of average or weighted average based on the ranked 3's MMR for each player actually participating? Or is there one MMR assigned to a given ranked team, regardless of who the participants are?

I ask because I suspect it is the former, based on previous experience, while the latter makes more sense to me.

The answer is actually somewhere between. While the MMRs exist independently, ranked teams are one example of where there is a little bit of crossover. When a team is first made, the MMRs of the members impact the starting MMR of the team. Once that's established, the team's MMR exists independently from each of the member's solo queue MMR.

rExekias

Game Design Intern

09-12-2013
8 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreekaway View Post
Q: In queues with very few people playing (e.g., Normal Draft, Dominion, TT, etc.), does the matchmaker attempt to even out extremely high rated players by giving them very low rated players?

I would understand if it did, since long queue times are never the best, but I would like to know.

It actually prefers to extend queue times over sacrificing accuracy in those cases. That's why challenger players can face much longer queue times than the average player.