so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-09-2013
97 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeShroom View Post
can you sign up to riot to delete teemo?
Evil never dies o.O"

Send Me Lewds

09-09-2013

>implying Teemo is evil

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-09-2013
98 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH NO ITS LU BU View Post
Hey Chezai, are you guys looking for an in-house chef? I've heard through various spies I've implanted in your office that you guys are sustained by snack machines and microwaves and as a professional chef, I cannot simply abide that. Please add me on the client so I can give you the details on my plan to open a kitchen on the first floor of your new office building(that will be built around my kitchen). <3 xoxo
Hey OH NO ITS LU BU,

Trust me when I say that I would be the first one in line for a freshly cooked meal. However, the snack machine overlords have thwarted our every attempt at breaking away from their sweet, sweet, clutches...the sodas...and the chocolates...and the greasy badness...ignore healthy food, upvote hypnosodamachine...

Zastie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2013

Plz use this to quote in the 100th red post. Because.. reasons...

isTECHNiQUE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-10-2013

Hello Riot Chezai!

Allow me to begin by saying that I have read every post you have written so far, and the knowledge that I've attained is something I will be able to carry on for the rest of my life (in terms of landing a job at a company of my utmost desire).

Now...on to my question .

Currently, I am a CS major at a University in the greater LA area (though I switched majors from electrical engineering to computer science just 3 quarters ago).

A lot of the EE curriculum is similar with the CS curriculum so I haven't wasted much time (if anything, maybe like 3 quarters or so).

ON TO THE POINT: I understand that you guys prefer to hire Junior standing students (on their way to senior year)...And I currently am technically almost in junior standing...

Do you think I should apply to the internship position this Winter, even though I'm really not that deep in the CS curriculum, or should I wait?

By summer of 2014 I should be done with my Java series courses, as well as other various CS courses...but i feel like I wouldn't be as qualified as other applicants who are CS juniors...

I do apologize if my question is very repetitive and boring for you, but even since starting this game in March of 2012, I cannot get enough of it, and I switched to CS because I am sincerely crazy for this game and a software engineering major is the way I think I could make an impact on this game!

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-12-2013
99 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isTECHNiQUE View Post
Hello Riot Chezai!

Allow me to begin by saying that I have read every post you have written so far, and the knowledge that I've attained is something I will be able to carry on for the rest of my life (in terms of landing a job at a company of my utmost desire).

Now...on to my question .

Currently, I am a CS major at a University in the greater LA area (though I switched majors from electrical engineering to computer science just 3 quarters ago).

A lot of the EE curriculum is similar with the CS curriculum so I haven't wasted much time (if anything, maybe like 3 quarters or so).

ON TO THE POINT: I understand that you guys prefer to hire Junior standing students (on their way to senior year)...And I currently am technically almost in junior standing...

Do you think I should apply to the internship position this Winter, even though I'm really not that deep in the CS curriculum, or should I wait?

By summer of 2014 I should be done with my Java series courses, as well as other various CS courses...but i feel like I wouldn't be as qualified as other applicants who are CS juniors...

I do apologize if my question is very repetitive and boring for you, but even since starting this game in March of 2012, I cannot get enough of it, and I switched to CS because I am sincerely crazy for this game and a software engineering major is the way I think I could make an impact on this game!
Hey isTECHNiQUE,

Props to you for reading everything. I'm sure there's a lot of repetition there. I tend to repeat things quite often. Reiterating things is something I tend to do. Huehuehue

One quick point I'd like to make before diving into things --> I don't think you 'wasted time' on EE at all. If anything, you now have some perspective from outside your focus, which I find will benefit you in the long run.

Now onto your question: should you apply even though you're quite junior. As you probably know from reading my other posts, I like to answer questions with questions. Here goes!

- Do you fulfill the necessary requirements for the position?
- Do you stand out from the group? How so?
- What makes you the ideal candidate?

I'm all for applying and taking a chance on it, but these questions should help you get a better idea of where you're at, where you need to be, and all that good stuff.

Hope this helps!

TwR

09-12-2013

Chezai is like the best employee ever.

Omni

09-12-2013

Hi Chezai,

I've been applying to Riot since before the recruiting website got completely revamped and I've noticed the new website is pretty buggy in certain areas. My hope is to shed light on certain issues I've had with the site and I hope you guys can address them to make the application process a lot smoother.

One time I was filling out an application at a different location and then I had to head home. So I submitted what I had completed so far with hopes of finishing it when I got home. When I got home, the application I had submitted was no longer the same, it was a minimal version of the original one without the role specific questions attached to it. So I figured I messed up by submitting an unfinished application so I figured I could withdraw it and start over. But when I clicked withdraw, it just left the application frozen there on the list but never removed it from the database. This didn't allow me to re-apply to the same role and make a new and complete application.

So based on that event, there are already 2 things that should probably be improved on the new website. You should have a way to revisit an unfinished application and fill the areas you were missing. Like give the option to save progress instead of only the submit application option. I don't know if you guys have added something like this since then but it would be very helpful. On the other hand, if you click withdraw, that entry should be removed from the system and allow you to resubmit a new application for the same role. You shouldn't be excluded from applying to that role just because you withdrew the current application you had for it. What if you want to start it again? From scratch?

Another thing I noticed when I've returned to update my Resume/Cover Letters is that there were these new check boxes on the already submitted applications that were asking if I had permit to work in the US and the option for "No" was checked on by default... So basically I went back through each one of my 5 applications and checked the "Yes" option and saved them out. When I had originally submitted those applications, that question wasn't available and I worry that because the "No" option was checked by default... that possibly my applications were never even considered due to the system blacklisting me for answering "No" to the job permit question by default by the system...

Anyway I hope some of these issues have already been reported but if not I hope you guys can address them in the near future.

Nimrak

09-12-2013

Hey Chezai,

I read only through half of the post, so I'm sorry if I ask something that has already been answered. I'm mexican and currently in my second year of what would be the equivalent of Comp-Sci (it's called engineering here) and my goal is to work in the game industry. Being realistic, most of the industry is based in the US. Considering this I'm trying to focus my education around the requirements these companies ask for. However, it's difficult since most of my teachers are unfamiliar with game design/technology or at least not as profficient as some universities up there are. So, based on this, I have some questions:

-For the Game Design/Technology area, which I'm interested in, what should I focus on? What do you value the most? (besides knowing C++)
-How likely is the hiring of a foreigner within Riot or any other videogame company? I mean, why would you hire someone from outside when you can hire an Ivy league/MIT graduate.
-Is there any chance to apply for an Internship at Riot as a mexican?

Thanks a lot for reading through this. This would really help me, and sorry if my english is a bit rusty.

CSDragon

09-12-2013

Hey Riot Chezai,

Not sure if you answered this question already, but I have a problem. I applied to the Game Design summer internship, and got rejected most likely due to my lack of field experience as I literally have none. But that's kinda the problem though. No internship has ever hired me because I have no experience, despite internships being the thing you're supposed to get experience from in the first place! How would I get Riot, or any other game company for that matter, to say "oh man, this will be his first internship, but maybe we should still consider him. I have a small portfolio of games I've worked on as personal projects, but it's far from impressive as I'm just one guy and a full-time student.

TL;DR: In Riot's eyes, how do I stick out from the crowd when going for an internship with 0 prior work experience.