@Lyte Referencing "Teamwork OP"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ButterflyPuwn

09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooredMaan View Post
Will never happen because a lot of this "data" is just a smoke and mirrors attempt at getting you to act better and justifying disciplinary measures like the Tribunal by claiming they work. Many of these claims are unsubstantiated and not backed with any evidence whatsoever other than his word on apparent data that we can never see nor verify. That's not science, that's faith.

Fact of the matter is, that post is complete nonsense because as your win rate goes up and as you do better, you get reported more often. I've seen players go 21/0 who said nothing in All chat get reported by multiple opponents and then the Tribunal voted to punish. Explain that one.
You sound mad. You have any good reason to believe that Lyte is falsifying his data? That's a rather extreme accusation.

thumbnail9

09-12-2013

So you did some comparison work and then speculated the rest?

Riot NeuroCat

Associate Business Analyst

09-12-2013
5 of 7 Riot Posts

I wish I could help give you a more detailed explanation of these statistics, but I came in towards the end of the analysis which produced the results cited in the video. As Lyte said, we're working on more really cool teamwork-related analyses, so when the time comes, perhaps I can shed some light on those results.

However, when presenting our cool findings, one thing we have to consider is the target audience. Coming from academia, I'm all for transparency and clarity of results, but our target audience is players, not academics. What would be more interesting for the average player to consume - a multipage wall of text or a high-quality animated video? Even though we don't deep dive into the stats in the video, we definitely consider the appropriate controls and confounds when running the inital analyses that generate the results.

Zan Vorez

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nidalee View Post
I just won a game where three terrible things happened:

1) Our support and jungler failed to switch roles in champ select and therefore everyone had wrong runes, masteries, and summoner spells.

2) Our jungler (who was a support) d/ced for 5 minutes.

3) I fed top lane. Really badly. I went like 0/8 at first. Didn't mean to at all, but my team could've treated me like ****, but they didn't.

We pulled through with a hell of a lot of communcation and a Twitch that knew what he was doing. So there's some anecdotal evidence to counter your implication that it's impossible to win those terrible games through team work, and you have to always remember while it's frustrating when someone d/cs, it happens just as often to the enemy team. (And more so if you never do) so it's not causing any individual person any direct harm in the long run.
I know it's not impossible, but it's certainly not as rewarding as it should be. Honestly, if a person DC's and you manage to pull out a win the MMR or LP gains should be increased to compensate. It makes no sense not to give the team a little extra. Dividing up the AFkers points and adding a little on for compensation for the serious disadvantage would be a nice nod. And you know what? With the way the ranked system works currently, if you really don't deserve the extra points that you get from the DC, then you'll lose them in almost no time anyway. I don't see why it's such an issue to put something like this into play.

ButterflyPuwn

09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot NeuroCat View Post
I wish I could help give you a more detailed explanation of these statistics, but I came in towards the end of the analysis which produced the results cited in the video. As Lyte said, we're working on more really cool teamwork-related analyses, so when the time comes, perhaps I can shed some light on those results.

However, when presenting our cool findings, one thing we have to consider is the target audience. Coming from academia, I'm all for transparency and clarity of results, but our target audience is players, not academics. What would be more interesting for the average player to consume - a multipage wall of text or a high-quality animated video? Even though we don't deep dive into the stats in the video, we definitely consider the appropriate controls and confounds when running the inital analyses that generate the results.
Being from academia, you should see the importance of publishing your results and subjecting them to scrutiny. It will only help your cause. Please consider this in the future, as there is really no conflict between writing up a paper as well as making an animated video.

The Nidalee

09-12-2013

Quote:

I think it's important to note that the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. It's very possible to do both, and then everyone can enjoy the stats given out through an animated video, and the players who wanted to could dig through all the detailed information that really should exist.

As I've said before I think it's important to realize that regardless of how "valid" the information is, it's a great message. I just think it's important to be transparent.

Vegas Dad

09-12-2013

I have a great idea, why don't you spend some time adressing the problem aka the causes. Most of your tips do little to improve the problem aka telling people not to rage you are more likely to win. How about this educate your player bAse on the things that cause people to rage in the first place?

I think it would be far more impactful than telling people not to get pissed off, so spend more time educating your player base with tips and videos and people will be less likely to rage in the first place, example I am in a close 45 min game And I end up losing it because someone face checks a bush or goes to farm bot lane which enables the enemy team to take baron and win the game, then ya my team ends up raging...

Desert Stallion

09-12-2013

@Lyte- I do love the idea of no one person can win a match, that said In my thread http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3856137 I would like some feedback on how an individual is penalized "clamped" when it is a team effort to win a match but the winnings can be so lopsided.

Ekir Atari

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2013

Quote:

Why not both? As a player, I would definitely like an easy-to-digest video. As an academic, I would like to deep-dive into the details of the video I just watched.

Amuq the Native

09-12-2013

Quote:
However, when presenting our cool findings, one thing we have to consider is the target audience. Coming from academia, I'm all for transparency and clarity of results, but our target audience is players, not academics. What would be more interesting for the average player to consume - a multipage wall of text or a high-quality animated video?
Oh please, don't be patronizing. I know you're better than that.
You could make a could video, with links to the academic paper at the end or in the video comments. You're going to write the academic paper anyway (or else the study is a waste !), so why not make it accessible to everyone who wants ? I for one would be very interested in it.