Morello just said Void Staff is OP. EVERYBODY ABUSE VOID STAFF QUICk!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cimbop

09-11-2013

Hey Morello I'd have a huge problem with Void Staff becoming a situational item, currently there are only three items in the game that allow an AP to build for damage and nothing but damage, DFG, Deathcap and Void Staff, zonyas/abyssal/liandry's/lichbane/etc every other AP item comes with something else attached which is something you wouldn't want if you wanted to build pure damage.

ADs get around this because not every big AD item is unique, they can go double bloodthirster if they really want to, APs can't go double deathcap or dfg or void staff.

Please think about glass cannon AP itemisation before making any changes, I don't want my only 3 offensive items to become 2.

Elastoid

09-11-2013

I don't agree about Last Whisper -- it's less effective than Youmuu's Ghostblade in pure armor penetration if the enemy has below 60 armor. So if they're at about 80, the difference isn't staggering. Youmuu's Ghostblade, meanwhile, provides 15% critical strike. Given the usual IE/PD combination having 55% crit, subbing a Youmuu's for a Last Whisper brings your crit chance up to 70. That's pretty big.

Send Me Lewds

09-11-2013

Void Staff is so OP that it's used all the time in LCS....wait...

Whist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eludeasaurus View Post
Liandries gives you less magic pen than a Voidstaff for an extra 700 gold. The passive isn't even that useful on a lot of people as well, you wouldn't buy it on syndra or Veigar. you want more raw damage from them.
Yes in this case, raw damage is the utility and it's way better.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-11-2013
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shppy View Post
well, i've proposed this solution multiple times, but I'll say it again:

Ever consider making %penetration (and reduction) only act based on *bonus* armor/mr? Flat pen and reduction would still affect total armor/mr (thereby retaining them as the counter to not getting mitigation, and making pen/reduction a more legitimate anti-mitigation stat rather than a guaranteed damage amp)

Probably would want to buff the percentages if that were to happen, and more flat options should then be added in, at least for armor (there's enough flat magic pen and reduction to deal with natural MR, that's definitely not the case with armor though). Preferably things more focused on sizable flat armor pen, rather than just 10-15 values (but not easily rushable to outright negate early armor, either... something like 10 + 1.5/level armor pen, to restrict them from being too powerful rushes)
We're actually looking at this direction right now. Some of the risks there are how to communicate "bonus" so you can make smart item choices, but it's definitely a possibility.

SUPERIOR SK1LL

09-11-2013

When are you going to put %reduction before #reduction?

FyshinaTux

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We're actually looking at this direction right now. Some of the risks there are how to communicate "bonus" so you can make smart item choices, but it's definitely a possibility.
Bonus (defensive stat): Any portion of the stat gained by means other than Runes, Masteries, or Champion Base Stats.

^

easy enough, you see they have an armor item, they have "bonus" armor, they have no armor item, no "bonus" armor.

or you could go with "any portion of the stat gained by means other than Champion Base stats."

Left Click the champion, if stat number is green, bonus... if not green, no bonus.

Simple to explain either way to be honest.

A question if I may, why are there MPen boots, but no Armor Pen boots? This has always bothered me (being that I play top lane usually, and I always feel AP tops are stronger due to the Haunting Guise Sorc Shoes rush-ability.)

FistOf7Dragons

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yordle Junior View Post
Bonus (defensive stat): Any portion of the stat gained by means other than Runes, Masteries, or Champion Base Stats.

^

easy enough, you see they have an armor item, they have "bonus" armor, they have no armor item, no "bonus" armor.

or you could go with "any portion of the stat gained by means other than Champion Base stats."

Left Click the champion, if stat number is green, bonus... if not green, no bonus.

Simple to explain either way to be honest.

A question if I may, why are there MPen boots, but no Armor Pen boots? This has always bothered me (being that I play top lane usually, and I always feel AP tops are stronger due to the Haunting Guise Sorc Shoes rush-ability.)
bonus should include runes and masteries

FyshinaTux

09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistOf7Dragons View Post
Hence why I added that last bit

I was just throwing in the first bit, since I really see it as the only other POSSIBLE option (considering 99.99% of people run Armor yellows, I think it's safe to say that could be safely considered "not" bonus, but it's whatever)

ASURA SMD

09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistOf7Dragons View Post
it does