[DISCUSSION] Void Staff should be weak EXCEPT vs high MR

First Riot Post
12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yousonerfed

09-11-2013

Void Staff is one of the biggest problem makers for any attempts to stack magic resistance. Not only does it let you ignore 35% of MR, it also gives you a strong 70 AP boost for a relatively low price tag compared to other high-tier items.

I think that needs to change. Ideally, I would like it if Void Staff were a BAD item for cost, except in situations where your opponents have huge amounts of magic resistance. It should not be a standard AP damage item; it should be BAD at giving you straight damage power.

There's two ideas I have on how Void Staff should be changed for Season 4 (pick one or both):

1. Lower the AP given to 60 instead of 70.

2. Increase the cost of Void Staff to at least 2600.

Either one of these could put Void Staff into being a niche item pick, rather than a standard weapon. I'd like for the choice to actually get Void Staff to be meaningful, not a no-brainer.

(Same thing could also be done for Last Whisper; make it have bad AD stats, and only be a good call if your opponents have 200 or more armor.)

Our Final Rites

09-11-2013

I think Void Staff is actually a good item as far as options go

If you need Mana you get tear early on for fast Seraph

If you need CDR and mana regeneration you get Chalice

Rabadons makes every other subsequent AP purchase to be better

Hourglass gives you the best survivability in the game

And void staff for the strongest first item for AP in the game

Arczer

09-11-2013

I literally go 2x Doran's Ring -> Grail -> Voidstaff - every game - on Syndra

On anyone over 35 MR
Very similar damage to Deathcap on Q/W/E
Higher damage than Deathcap on R
1000g cheaper

The more MR you buy
the more cost efficient I become
I went from Unranked to Diamond in 94 games with a 74% win ratio on Syndra doing this
Voidstaff is incredibly broken

As much as I love abusing this (and trust me, turning your entire health bar red is a GREAT feeling) It absolutely needs some kind of change

P.S - Last Whisper is also really broken

GeneralDiscussio

09-11-2013

you can go sorc boots and haunting guise on a lot of champs and be fine for a while.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-11-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I agree, actually. Will look into timeline on a fix.

This will require a little change to some penetration math to make this work as intended, Void Staff's the most egregious, but LW isn't much better.

Dryad Soraka

09-11-2013

Also Last Whisper and Black Cleaver. Void Staff is hardly an offender.

Yousonerfed

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDiscussio View Post
you can go sorc boots and haunting guise on a lot of champs and be fine for a while.
I'm talking about how the item supercedes any other late-game AP item choices. Say you're Swain and you already have Rod of Ages, Sorc Shoes, Abyssal Scepter, Zhonya's Hourglass, and Liandry's Torment. You're not gonna pick up a Deathcap or Rylai's because you could run into a guy with 120 MR; you NEED that Void Staff because it's more cost-efficient at that stage.

Really, I should have to actually THINK about a final item rather than just say "Void Staff, no questions asked".

EDIT: Ninja'd by Morello.

Demagoguery

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I agree, actually. Will look into timeline on a fix.

This will require a little change to some penetration math to make this work as intended, Void Staff's the most egregious, but LW isn't much better.
Did you see my banner of command thread D:?

wapster

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousogreat View Post
Void Staff is one of the biggest problem makers for any attempts to stack magic resistance. Not only does it let you ignore 35% of MR, it also gives you a strong 70 AP boost for a relatively low price tag compared to other high-tier items.

I think that needs to change. Ideally, I would like it if Void Staff were a BAD item for cost, except in situations where your opponents have huge amounts of magic resistance. It should not be a standard AP damage item; it should be BAD at giving you straight damage power.

There's two ideas I have on how Void Staff should be changed for Season 4 (pick one or both):

1. Lower the AP given to 60 instead of 70.

2. Increase the cost of Void Staff to at least 2600.

Either one of these could put Void Staff into being a niche item pick, rather than a standard weapon. I'd like for the choice to actually get Void Staff to be meaningful, not a no-brainer.

(Same thing could also be done for Last Whisper; make it have bad AD stats, and only be a good call if your opponents have 200 or more armor.)
thanks for ruining voidstaff, jerk

Avenge the Lost

09-11-2013

Then shouldn't last whisper be tuned down as well? I mean, they both have the same relative cost effectiveness.

12345 ... 8